Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skunk0001

F1.com Live Timing

Do you watch the Live Timing?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch the Live Timing?

• Yes, more so than the TV
    • Yes, a glance every now and then
    • No
    • Who? What? Where? When?

Just curious as to how many people actually watch the live lap/sector timings on the Formula1.com site.

Personally I couldnt watch a race without having my laptop open with the timings up, and I actually tend to spend more time watching the timing than the TV screen. Most of the stupid camera angles and pointless shots they show you tell you nothing and its amayzing how much information the 'commentators' miss while going on and on about (for example) Hamiltons training regime or the weather.

They fail to even bother to mention who pits half the time, who is catching who, who pits under the Safety car, who passed who at pitstops etc etc etc.

Gives me something to do in between the (sadly) rare onboard shots or on track 'battles'.

Yep I do. Once you've watched it a few times you realise just how much the directors miss, including a shed load of mistakes, battles and pitstops.

more than tv cus of fps. we dont have on our tv, so i need live timing (and now itv) for them

I only watched it during the non televised practices and the last 10 laps of last race, and I have to say that our comentators do a fairly good job, like, talking of what's ON track, and I'm sure they consult it all the time, because there was a moment last race that it lost connection or something like that and the second it happenned they were explaining it, so we'd know why they weren't reporting the gaps accurately. Of course they can't be explaining the whole of Live Timing but that's not necessary. Anyway maybe I'll give it a try next race to see if I'm mistaken.

I must say that I miss some action on tv for being watching live time, this weekend I was thinking I need to do something to have my PC and my TV together for the next race.

The commentators can't talk about everything at once, you try discussing every single gap between 22 cars...this isn't football, the action has more than one origin.

As for live timing, I find it quite useful and like to have it on during the race, but I still prefer watching the TV - I suppose F1 is all about the visuals for me.

Ooh, numbers on a list that change position! Oh wow! Does it get any more exciting?

Yes, it actually does, believe it or not. I don't use live timing. The only time I ever use any live timing is during an endurance race, where I click on it, see who is leading, and close out 30 seconds later.

I use it for the practice sessions and any quali/races we get live (maybe 2 or 3 a year).

being in china, i have the option of watching the gp on tv and listening to chinese commentry (not a treat) or watching it on the computer stream through TVU player with english commentry. i sit at my computer and flick between live timing and the broadcast, which serves me pretty well.

only problem is that the live timing is about 1 minute ahead of the stream, so it occasionally spoils the fun of watching the race, since i know kimis going to pit a while before i hear "and kimi's into the pits!" - i do get to feel like a soothsayer though.

funnyist thing about the chinese commentry (if i watch on TV) is their appalling translations of driver radio communications. bloody hilarious. you'll hear kubica telling the pit that they want more front wing and the chinese commentator will translate it along the lines of, "webber's complaining that his water bottle is leaking". the press conference is a riot too.

plus they translate driver and team names into chinese characters which end up sounding so not like their names. Hamilton becomes something like Hanmeiduen, Raikonen become Laikeneng - after a while you begin to wonder why they can't just say their names, I mean, they may be foreign names to Chinese people, but that doesn't stop you from learning how to say them, my students manage to say "Adam" without any problems, why can't these commentators manage it?

any who - live timing - yes I use it - probably about 50-50 with the streaming broadcast.

I use it for the practice sessions and any quali/races we get live (maybe 2 or 3 a year).

Ditto

I wish I could, but not getting the GP's live makes it hard, I prefer to watch the race (even if it is delayed a couple of hours) rather than lap times on the laptop live.

If we ever do get the GP's live here in Oz for sure I would be watching the live timing and the TV at the same time.

At my own place where I don't have the pay channels = always. At my folks, where they show the whole weekend live, nope.

Just curious as to how many people actually watch the live lap/sector timings on the Formula1.com site.

Personally I couldnt watch a race without having my laptop open with the timings up, and I actually tend to spend more time watching the timing than the TV screen. Most of the stupid camera angles and pointless shots they show you tell you nothing and its amayzing how much information the 'commentators' miss while going on and on about (for example) Hamiltons training regime or the weather.

They fail to even bother to mention who pits half the time, who is catching who, who pits under the Safety car, who passed who at pitstops etc etc etc.

Gives me something to do in between the (sadly) rare onboard shots or on track 'battles'.

Being an Aussie, I can only watch it live on the net. So i have half of the screen on F1.com live timing and the other half is the race live on itv-f1.com. best of both worlds. If i had a choice between the screen or the live timing, i would go with the live timing any day of the year.

Being an Aussie, I can only watch it live on the net. So i have half of the screen on F1.com live timing and the other half is the race live on itv-f1.com. best of both worlds. If i had a choice between the screen or the live timing, i would go with the live timing any day of the year.

But most likely a Fri, Sat or Sun between March and November :)

Can't watch a race without Living timing! Considering the directors only focus on a few drivers, Live timing is the only way to keep track of the whole race, keep track pit strategies (out laps times, in lap times), figure out who is losing/gaining time etc etc.

My set up is as follows

TV with SpeedTV signal+ Desktop with a PVR for instant replay + SOPCast with whatever non Speed TV feed I can get + Live Timing on my laptop!

I don't have to watch ads anymore!

But most likely a Fri, Sat or Sun between March and November :)

My life revolves around F1. So when I say year, I don't mean the lunar year or the solar year. I only mean the F1 year. 3 days a week 2 weeks a month and 8 months a year.

My set up is as follows

TV with SpeedTV signal+ Desktop with a PVR for instant replay + SOPCast with whatever non Speed TV feed I can get + Live Timing on my laptop!

I don't have to watch ads anymore!

Great setup stopkidding :thbup:

Yes, of course, it is more informative than the TV.

And, yes, of course, the live timing applet freaking sucks more than a galaxy-size blackhole. Heck, the motoGP live timing ain't that good and yet it is gazillion times better than F1's.

I haven't ever watched it.

I always forget and I just end up sticking with ITVs. Despite my ranting about their coverage.

Don't know how good it is, suppose I could give it a go.