Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Poppa's New Cooper T76 (1965 Formula 3)

Here's some pic's of my Dad's new Cooper.

1965 Formula 3

1100cc

125BHP

10,000RPM "Screamer" engine

400lbs

Don't know if anyone famous drove it; Coopers were sold to weekend racers and pro-racers alike. Dad's going to run it in Formula Junior trim here in NZ, which awards points to the car and not the person, so guess who'll get to drive :D

Currently it's sitting in a garage in Houston, Texas, but in about a month or so, it'll be sitting in my old man's garage :D Which gives me just enough time to build him a trailer for it at my work.

Nice :thbup: You're a lucky man if you get to race that Handy!

400lbs? That car weighs less than the average American man!

Very nice car. Hope you and the old man have fun with her!

Got here late, but that's gorgeous. As DOF says, though, not entirely the safest machine out there. Take good care of it and, most of all, enjoy it.

I got in late too and that car is fanfreakintastic. Must be light, nimble and quick quick quick... but be careful 'cause there is enough power there to really get yourself in some trouble!

Well, Dad will give plenty of racing room to account for his a) investment b ) bad eyes c ) drives slow...whereas I'll have the mantra "turn into the slide...turn into the slide"

He's off to Texas next week to pick her up :)

Oh and forgot to mention, as we just found out, but this was the last ever T76 made, and one of only 4 with the particular engine that was put in it.

Pick up Jim Clark's book Jim Clark at the Wheel and pay attention to how he describes his driving style. That same style will work wonders for you in that light Cooper.

Remember that if you think you're braking late, you probably aren't. The biggest difference between a fast pro and a slow amateur is where they brake.

Also, and I don't mean this to sound as horrible as it likely will, if you're worried about getting injured or dinging the car you probably shouldn't be driving it. A bit of mechanical sympathy is good, but letting it consume your mind when you should be racing is not good. If your dad can't afford to see his car dinged, best that it not be taken to a racetrack.

Oh, and I'm jealous as hell...you'd better keep us all updated.

I sure will keep you updated!

Can't wait to take her for a spin :D

Wonder how many times I'll stall her on my first drive...lol...

Sure will be a step up from racing karts to this....and Dad's not raced since he was my age...interesting that you should mention Jim Clark, as Dad pit-crewed for him one time he came down under for some races here.

I sure will keep you updated!

Can't wait to take her for a spin :D

Wonder how many times I'll stall her on my first drive...lol...

Sure will be a step up from racing karts to this....and Dad's not raced since he was my age...interesting that you should mention Jim Clark, as Dad pit-crewed for him one time he came down under for some races here.

:worshippy:

Awesome.

Sorry Craig, rocked up late to this thread :blush:

Awesome machine, and your a lucky man to be able to appreciate such a car.

Keep us updated with pic's, and how the story unfolds as you and your father prepare to take her out on the track once again.

Thanks for sharing :D

Yeah, well, you 'ockers are always late... :P

Sounds like it's going to take a slow boat via China to get here, so might not see her for 7-8 weeks.

Yeah, well, you 'ockers are always late... :P

Sounds like it's going to take a slow boat via China to get here, so might not see her for 7-8 weeks.

Working too hard that's why mate :P

That would be absolute torture waiting that long, much like the pain we all go though leading up to Melbourne every year.