Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Barcelona Testing

I'm expecting Renault to improve at least by 0.5 to 0.6 seconds.............it seems that Fernando will be driving the R28b tomorrow with all the updates..........should compete with Williams and BMW from spain onwards.

thats too big a jump..... maybe a tenth here and there

I'm expecting Renault to improve at least by 0.5 to 0.6 seconds.............it seems that Fernando will be driving the R28b tomorrow with all the updates..........should compete with Williams and BMW from spain onwards.

double post

I'd say Renault has improved a little bit. :)

So early into the thread and you already have me smiling...

If mclaren and honda are testing new specs for next year are we then going to see faster cars ???? thought they were trying to slow them down??

i believe the slower speeds will come from the reduced aero next season, but massa wasn't running with it yet. anyone have any information about how much and how exactly are they going to remove the wings...?

thats too big a jump..... maybe a tenth here and there

Nah, that's about how much pace Fernando can bring to a team, if you don't believe me just ask Fernando yourself :lol:

This is barely related, but I was thinking about testing.

I decided that testing needs to change.

My testing rules:

• Testing is a pre-season thing ONLY. No testing during the season. Use races as test sessions. Why? With all the wind tunnels and computer s##t teams have, they don't NEED to test. Also, the races would be more interesting and competitive if teams were trying things they weren't sure would work or not. You might see more variety if a team like McLaren or Ferrari try something in a race that doesn't work so well.
  • Any race driver will not be allowed to test. All testing must be performed by a test driver. Having the race driver do no laps in the car before the season will make it more interesting in the first few races. In the interest of the FIA, it will help generate more attention towards the opening grands prix, as people won't know what to expect.
  • Test drivers will not be allowed to race. If they were, some team would get crafty. Take Ferrari, for example. They would make their driver lineup Luca Badoer and Felipe Massa, and have Kimi Raikkonen as their test driver. Then, before the Australian Grand Prix, Luca Badoer would "quit the team" and Kimi would replace him, defeating the purpose of the rules.
  • Testing cannot be done at any track on that season's schedule. Again, it makes it more interesting to have the cars show up to race on tracks they have no laps at.
  • Teams can employ two test drivers: one with F1 experience, and one without.

I'm sure no one would agree, and I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make, but I was bored and there's nothing else to post.

:eusa_think:

Interesting to say the least. I'm sorry but I can't say I agree. But some of the ideas do have merit, however they may need to be refined to make them work / workable.

I liked how you pin pointed Ferrari with the crafty part :clap3:

This is barely related, but I was thinking about testing.

I decided that testing needs to change.

My testing rules:

• Testing is a pre-season thing ONLY. No testing during the season. Use races as test sessions. Why? With all the wind tunnels and computer s##t teams have, they don't NEED to test. Also, the races would be more interesting and competitive if teams were trying things they weren't sure would work or not. You might see more variety if a team like McLaren or Ferrari try something in a race that doesn't work so well.
You know this would outright stop teams from testing new drivers in most places due to the massive importance it would place on the available sessions so you're shooting yourself in the foot badly.

Any race driver will not be allowed to test. All testing must be performed by a test driver. Having the race driver do no laps in the car before the season will make it more interesting in the first few races. In the interest of the FIA, it will help generate more attention towards the opening grands prix, as people won't know what to expect.
Test drivers will not be allowed to race. If they were, some team would get crafty. Take Ferrari, for example. They would make their driver lineup Luca Badoer and Felipe Massa, and have Kimi Raikkonen as their test driver. Then, before the Australian Grand Prix, Luca Badoer would "quit the team" and Kimi would replace him, defeating the purpose of the rules.
It'd be dangerous for the drivers to be stepping in to the unknown in a comeptitive session, I think this is nonsense. What's more it'd mean anyone who tested the car would be banned from a race drive throughout the year and taking in more drivers in the case of injury or suspension would be problematic to say the least. More to the point it'd put new drivers in an impossible situation with gaining mileage for their super licenses or enough experience to properly preare for the season without waiting an entire YEAR after their first test to earn a chance of a drive.

Testing cannot be done at any track on that season's schedule. Again, it makes it more interesting to have the cars show up to race on tracks they have no laps at.
This is a workable suggestion at least.

Teams can employ two test drivers: one with F1 experience, and one without.
See a few points up.

I'm sure no one would agree, and I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make, but I was bored and there's nothing else to post.

I think most of these suggestions are unworkable, unreasonable or downright dangerous. Back to the drawing board?

I agree with Elizabeth, It sounds like a good idea but when you go to the nitty gritty of it, it starts to get more and more problematic...

I can only agree with the testing should be done on tracks other than sceduled tracks as this will also provide some revenue to the tracks retired by Bernie...

You know this would outright stop teams from testing new drivers in most places due to the massive importance it would place on the available sessions so you're shooting yourself in the foot badly.

Hadn't thought of that...

It'd be dangerous for the drivers to be stepping in to the unknown in a comeptitive session, I think this is nonsense. What's more it'd mean anyone who tested the car would be banned from a race drive throughout the year and taking in more drivers in the case of injury or suspension would be problematic to say the least. More to the point it'd put new drivers in an impossible situation with gaining mileage for their super licenses or enough experience to properly preare for the season without waiting an entire YEAR after their first test to earn a chance of a drive.

Bah to the first part! Ayrton Senna never did preseason testing, he made out just fine. Also, they'd have Friday free practice. Sure, that practice might be a bit of a mess, I can see what you mean, but I don't view it as a huge problem...

As far as the substitutes go, I had considered that before posting. I have no way around that.

I think most of these suggestions are unworkable, unreasonable or downright dangerous. Back to the drawing board?

I'm too stubborn to go back ;)

But I do agree with most of your post, my rules would never work. Just kinda throwing stuff out there cuz I think that all these miles of testing are useless and may potentailly maybe possibly somehow hinder the racing action, but I really don't know if they do.

Anyway, at least this generated interesting conversation, which was the main point. I'm going to keep throwing out more controversial ideas when I can, so load up your guns, kids, and get ready to shoot 'em down :lol:

Anyways back to the testing:

Red Bull, have joined the crowd now and have adopted the front wheel fairings on the RB4 for the test. Red Bull also have tested a new side pod wing that connects to the barge board, much like the F1.08 and the R28.

McLaren have obviously decided the best way to simulate the 2009 aero is to run with Monza spec aero. Good cost effective way of testing the behavior of the car on slicks with the reduced aero.

Honda, have tested a new rear wing that looks like the W wing that Renault used in the opening rounds.

Williams, have tested a new front wing which has a very very square centre scoop section much like the front wing used by BMW on the F1.07 and F1.08.

Anyways back to the testing:

Red Bull, have joined the crowd now and have adopted the front wheel fairings on the RB4 for the test. Red Bull also have tested a new side pod wing that connects to the barge board, much like the F1.08 and the R28.

McLaren have obviously decided the best way to simulate the 2009 aero is to run with Monza spec aero. Good cost effective way of testing the behavior of the car on slicks with the reduced aero.

Honda, have tested a new rear wing that looks like the W wing that Renault used in the opening rounds.

Williams, have tested a new front wing which has a very very square centre scoop section much like the front wing used by BMW on the F1.07 and F1.08.

Thanks for the update Nate :thbup:

Here's some pics-

97040.jpg

97005.jpg

96992.jpg

97035.jpg

96997.jpg

96988.jpg