Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

en3sge

The Engine Development Freeze Regulation And Ferrari

This was headlining totalf1 today:

http://www.totalf1.com/fullstory/view/2534...engine_reports/

Other sites were also hosting this news.

I thought there was an engine freeze currently in F1 whereby (for cost reasons) no engine is allowed to be developed. But ferrari seem to have developed one that has 25 more BHP!!! Umm, am I missing something?

This might however explain why they were so damn quick through every speed trap in Malaysia and Bahrain.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

AFAIK the engines were blue printed after Malaysia and will now be frozen for the next 5 years (I think)

AFAIK the engines were blue printed after Malaysia and will now be frozen for the next 5 years (I think)

Have other teams done this? Usually you hear boasts of 'we found 30bhp' and 'well we found 40bhp!' etc and I really thought all engines were frozen as of the beginning of the 2006 season until several years from now.

Have other teams done this? Usually you hear boasts of 'we found 30bhp' and 'well we found 40bhp!' etc and I really thought all engines were frozen as of the beginning of the 2006 season until several years from now.

Sorry pal, this is not the whacky races - The rules apply to all the teams not just Ferrari. I'd imagine Ferrari blue printed the engine within the deadline and Torro Rosso qualifies as customers of said engine

:)

Sorry pal, this is not the whacky races - The rules apply to all the teams not just Ferrari. I'd imagine Ferrari blue printed the engine within the deadline and Torro Rosso qualifies as customers of said engine

:)

Since when did Ferrari have the same rulebook as the rest???? :P:P

Wait a minute, are you saying Ferrari finished development on the engine before season 2006, yet has only decided to introduce it now? Surely wouldnt they have used it sooner should that be the case? If they have been developing since the beginning of 2006 then surely they are contravening the rules? Its strange I think, thats all

The story is baseless and should be regarded as utter BS.

The engine freeze came into effect as of Japan 2006 (yeah the GP which saw the engine in the back of Michael's Ferrari go up in smoke along with his championship hopes). Any modification to that engine that was submitted back in 2006 needs to be on the basis of improved reliability only.

Ferrari did suffer problems with the engines in its own factory cars along with the STR cars & the Force India cars in the opening rounds. Stefano Domenicali did make mention that he blamed the new McLaren Electronic Systems, ECU. I suggest the changes were made in order to improve reliability not performance.

End of story.

True, some power can be found in lubricants, but still that amount of power would be minimal and nowhere near the reported 25bhp. The story is absolute rubbish.

From what ITV were reporting in their coverage early season, the standard engine design to be submitted was the first engine they had to complete 2 full race distances THIS season.

Meaning that Ferrari could have indeed found the reported 30 BHP extra.

How often these days though do we hear of such a huge addition to an engine? I can imagine maybe 3 BHP more at best...