Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goferrarigo

Mosley Vows To Quit In 2009

Mosley vows to quit in 2009

Max Mosley told a British newspaper on Sunday that he intends to "stay and fight" despite widespread calls for him to resign as FIA president.

The 68-year-old Englishman said he decided to give his first media interview since the News of the World sex scandal broke because of the "enormous publicity" generated by revelations of his allegedly Nazi-themed orgy with five prostitutes.

Mosley said he will not quit yet because at least "more than seven" motoring club presidents want him to stay.

"For every letter I've had from a club president saying 'I think you should step down' or 'I think you should consider your position', I've had seven, slightly more than seven, who said 'you've absolutely got to stay, don't give an inch', and 'this is the most outrageous invasion', and suggesting that there's more to this than meets the eye, which of course there may be," he said.

Mosley suggests many of the people who have criticised him are mostly the ones that do not agree that "eccentric sexual activity" is acceptable.

"(But) most people say if somebody likes doing that, if it's not harming anybody, if it's in private and it's completely secret and personal, it's nothing to do with me," he said.

The FIA senate, comprising 222 members, will vote on June 3 as to whether Mosley can remain president of the global motoring body.

"It's a matter for them," he told the Sunday Telegraph.

"It's not a matter for old drivers and things of that kind."

Whether he is axed or not, Mosley insists that it was always his intention not to contest the next election, scheduled for late next year.

"I was never going to go beyond 2009," he said, explaining that working effectively at the age of 73 would be "very marginal".

"I kept quiet about that because the lesson with Tony Blair is, the day you say you're going to stop, you lose your influence," Mosley added.

He also countered reports that he has lost the support of his long-time friend, ally and fellow F1 powerbroker, Bernie Ecclestone.

"Certainly he's supportive and he thinks it's disgusting, but he's got to get on and run his business," he said.

"I feel that with me nothing's changed. I see it as an awful intrusion into my private life which is not justifiable by any means, and which I hope will now be punished."

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news...420100250.shtml

I've already said my thoughts. None of the motor-sport bodies, officials, or car companies have stated they support him bar one (iirc) so he's talking bollocks there or their support is pretty weak if they won't voice it publicly.

Enough said.

I've already said my thoughts. None of the motor-sport bodies, officials, or car companies have stated they support him bar one (iirc) so he's talking bollocks there or their support is pretty weak if they won't voice it publicly.

Enough said.

Apparently he gets 7 letters of support from council memebers for every letter of asking him to step down...

I just get bills....none of them overly supportive to my financial interests... :(

Mosley's gunna quit? I'm so proud of him for finally giving up cigarettes.

And Handy, they may not support your financial interests, but it's not my fault that prostitutes come with a price. You're just lucky you have the kind with a bill-me-later option.

What I don't get, Eric, is that I gave them a bogus number - 0800 668 729 464 (0800 not paying)

Well, I gave them your number, so I guess it's my fault. I mean, I didn't know it was your number; I just got lucky.

read this yesterday - yes - he say's he'll be gone next year. thank god for that.

would rather he quit over the fact that he's incompetant rather than because of all these prostitute stuff, but hey, if he's gone, he's gone.

goferrari - yep - 7 letters supporting his decision to quit for every 1 asking him to "step down" I'd say.

I'd happily send him a similar letter of support.

Well I'm glad to hear he has some support at least. Those car manufacturers are just self-serving hypocrites. I bet most of the senior management at Merc and BMW uses prostitutes, just like they used slave labour in the good old days of Hitler. Hope Moseley stays on.

Lets be honest, I think that this is the time that Max decides to move on.

The Prostitutes thing was the icing on the cake for me but I do think that the Attack on Jackie Stewart especially and even Ron Dennis last year left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths.

The Jackie Stewart one I took to heart a little.

But Max did save the predicency from Jean Marie Balestre and was an influencial figure in the Concorde Agreement (which BTW if the concorde Agreement was not in place we may not even have a formula one maybe???)

And he has tried to make the formula interesting back in 2003 when Ferrari won everything bar 2 in 2002, And he has tried to cut the costs of Formula one competition and when the fateful day of 1994 at San Marino he bought together the renewed safety which has helped without question to this day.

So Max has done a awful lot for the sport without question but now his time has run out and its time that Paul Stoddart ran the FIA.

So thank you Max for everything that you have made possible and I hope that you can patch your relationship back together with your wife and your kids.

So when you deciede to retire, goodbye and good luck.

Well I'm glad to hear he has some support at least. Those car manufacturers are just self-serving hypocrites. I bet most of the senior management at Merc and BMW uses prostitutes, just like they used slave labour in the good old days of Hitler. Hope Moseley stays on.

Funny you should say that -- http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=34532

Well I'm glad to hear he has some support at least. Those car manufacturers are just self-serving hypocrites.

Indeed, that's the annoying thing. Every single vocal critic of Mosley who has jumped at this has an agenda, I haven't seen a single person of principle make a good point. Which is because a person of principle would be obliged to defend Mosley.

Even the posters here don't realize the ludicrousness of their statements, most want Mosley to go for other reasons, and are rather conveniently jumping on this. And they are inordinately proud of their hypocrisy.

Yup! It's so true. Generally the people most likely to vilify others have something to hide themselves. Plus since when were companies (or national motorsport councils) moral role models for the rest of us? They are just looking out for their own interests. If there's one thing that really gets my goat it's people's judgmental vindictiveness.

Indeed, that's the annoying thing. Every single vocal critic of Mosley who has jumped at this has an agenda, I haven't seen a single person of principle make a good point. Which is because a person of principle would be obliged to defend Mosley.

Even the posters here don't realize the ludicrousness of their statements, most want Mosley to go for other reasons, and are rather conveniently jumping on this. And they are inordinately proud of their hypocrisy.

Yes that's exactly right. Complete hypocrisy.

"For every letter I've had from a club president saying 'I think you should step down' or 'I think you should consider your position', I've had seven, slightly more than seven, who said 'you've absolutely got to stay, don't give an inch', and 'this is the most outrageous invasion', and suggesting that there's more to this than meets the eye, which of course there may be," he said.

Please define "slightly more than seven" ... What? 7.01 letters? :eusa_think:

Seriously, though ... This isn't the first time that he's voiced his intention to step down. Personally, I wish he'd stop talking about quitting and just sack up and quit.

Unless Jesus comes and tells Max to step down, some of you aren't going to care.

Now, me personally, I want him to step down because he sucks at his job and he sucks at life. He himself should feel wrong morally, not scared of a few German car companies. Am I glad they're urging him to step down? Yes, that's the desired result for all of us. I don't care what their intentions are for urging him to step down, they're added support to achieving the goal, and that's all that matters to me.

>

^ The man banned active suspensions, reduced the ground effect, introduced groves, each of these measures by itself is a perverted crime ... , turned F1 into a semi-spec series were the only thing advanced is the winglets.

There's no defending such a man.

>

^ The man banned active suspensions, reduced the ground effect, introduced groves, each of these measures by itself is a perverted crime ... , turned F1 into a semi-spec series were the only thing advanced is the winglets.

There's no defending such a man.

I never defended him.