Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Rant Time!

For the first time in almost four years (since we started getting qually live) on FOUR channels of Sport, they can't find room to show qualifying live...oh noooooooo....they've got stupid Indian Premier League Twenty-20 cricket on in-fricking-stead. Who the frick cares about a fricking little fricking stupid means nothing cricket league? So what if some dumbasses have paid lots of money to make this league, but it's about as relevant and passion inspiring as the World Championships of Scrabble!!!!!

Arrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

For the first time in almost four years (since we started getting qually live) on FOUR channels of Sport, they can't find room to show qualifying live...oh noooooooo....they've got stupid Indian Premier League Twenty-20 cricket on in-fricking-stead. Who the frick cares about a fricking little fricking stupid means nothing cricket league? So what if some dumbasses have paid lots of money to make this league, but it's about as relevant and passion inspiring as the World Championships of Scrabble!!!!!

Only about 20-30 million people but hey thats too small a number...

btw how is this not in Cafe??

So instead of F1 they have grassroots rugby and sport 365? WHAT THE ****?!?!?!

Who bothers saying up to 12am to watch GRASSROOTS RUGBY?!!?!

AAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHQGFUGIHUFYIGUK

Let me give you some reasons;

- Ferrari is .5 secs per lap faster than the rest of the field

- The President insists on staying inspite of calls for his resignation

- Spygate

- Boring races etc

- A monosyllabic, cold WDC with zero charisma

- Inconsistent scheduling

F1 is very boring and you can now see why the likes of ITV are bailing out. 20/20 cricket, on the other hand, will feature 99% of the best players in the world competing for high stakes in the most exciting form of cricket to date.

It's a no brainer to me and perhaps F1 needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Just my take

:thbup:

Let me give you some reasons;

- Ferrari is .5 secs per lap faster than the rest of the field

- The President insists on staying inspite of calls for his resignation

- Spygate

- Boring races etc

- A monosyllabic, cold WDC with zero charisma

- Inconsistent scheduling

F1 is very boring and you can now see why the likes of ITV are bailing out. 20/20 cricket, on the other hand, will feature 99% of the best players in the world competing for high stakes in the most exciting form of cricket to date.

It's a no brainer to me and perhaps F1 needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Just my take

:thbup:

If you honestly think cricket is more interesting than F1 someone needs to put you out of your misery.

If you honestly think cricket is more interesting than F1 someone needs to put you out of your misery.

In that part of the world it is

:P

And those 20-30mil should be watching Force India :P

But i still don't get how come you guys don't have 2 or 3 sport channels which will cover both events...

They show whatever makes financial sense.

At the 2001 California race, the first 66 laps were not shown on FOX because of a baseball game. At the 2008 Phoenix race, a Red Sox/Yankees (the biggest rivalry in sports, period) game was cut away from to show the race on FOX (which p**sed me off; who wants to watch NASCAR?)

So, F1 doesn't get enough viewers, commercials, and/or costs too much to produce, so they don't show it.

IPL is a bore, but the cheerleaders are sure a sight for sore eyes!!! However, the moral brigade is all set to send the beauties packing. Sad that we Indians are stuck with a bunch of leaders who love to dictate our sexuality & sex drive.

But i still don't get how come you guys don't have 2 or 3 sport channels which will cover both events...

Infact we have FIVE sports channels, plus each of the terrestrial channels have their sports programming too, so you could say we have seven channels. Not too shabby for a country of 4mil.

So there is room for everything, just some d#ck thinks it's best to put ona replay of overfed, undertrained knuckleheads playing a game of rugby out the back of the local pub over Formula One LIVE. And the thing is, all the knucklehead rugby fans are down at the local anyways getting inebreated on 30-doz pints of Steinlager at that time as it's Saturday night.

So there is room for the very very very very very small percentage of people who give a toss about the IPL, plus the growing percentage of people who want to watch F1. The media here is trying to drum up passion for the IPL, but punters on the street when questioned are all going "I P what?"

And it's not really 99% of the worlds best cricketeers, to whomever said that - it's some of the best, some retired guys, and the rest are local indian club players. So outside of India, why should the "fans" tune in? F1 is far more, and rightly so, global than IPL.

So I had to settle for watching the re-run at 6:45am this morning. Looks like all the teams are quite close on speed. Will be interesting, one hopes.

My personal guess is that with BBC taking over coverage sky will loose their contract. Hence, they no longer give a toss about the fans.

There is no other justification for not running it live that I can see. Except maybe they didn't want it cutting into their precious super 14, because that would result in outrage. Nevermind the countless times rugby has cut out the first 10 minutes of qually because they need to get through the player interviews "uhh yeah game of two halves, really like to thank the team" blah blah snore.

They shouldn't lose the contract - TV1 had the ITV feed before Sky. And Sky had it before TV1 had it in the 90's. It'll be on one of the networks. Unless of course some bright spark decides to start televising under-10's rugby...

Yeah thats true, I forgot that sky had the BBC coverage in the 90's.

The thing is with sky, whilst I appreciate the (almost) everything being live etc when you're paying for something you expect it to be top notch, and it isn't. They clearly don't give a toss about it.

At least with TV1 you KNEW when a race was going to be delayed, and you weren't spitting feathers when it happened. They had some semblance of a pre show, which sky sort of started off doing in a really bad way but quickly dropped.

There is enough motorsport on that a pay tv company like sky should have dedicated motorsport channel, then they could start showing some of that grassroots stuff they love so much and our young chargers in FFord etc might have a decent show at getting some good sponsorship.

They could have taken on the V8's, which would have been nice since TV3 are murdering it after TV1 finally got it right last year with freeview.

When you think about it sky already have the rights to much of the top tier motorsport: MotoGP, WRC, F1, Superbikes(I think? or not this year?), IRL(also pretend, thanks Eric), NASCAR (we'll pretend this is top tier).

All they'd have to do is throw in the V8's, DTM, GP2, F3 and LMS and fill the rest in with replays, grassroots motorsport etc.

Grassroots motorsport is so different to grassroots rugby and it's what should be shown on tv. Rugby players don't need sponsorship like young drivers do. But the majority of the country doesn't know because they can't see it.

How's that for a rant? :)

NASCAR (we'll pretend this is top tier).

Wait, did you just call IRL top tier and then say NASCAR wasn't? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What I hate about NASCAR coverage in Kiwiland, Eric, is that you lot have ads every four laps, but in NZ we see a camera view from on top of the same car for like 30-laps with no commentary (just engine revs), then the "live" action comes on for 4-laps, then it's back to the same (usually slow) car and it's roof mounted camera for another 30-laps and no commentary, then back for "live" action over another engrossing 4-laps, then a featurette on some sports show coming up on ESPN, then back to 30-laps on that car again with no commentary, then 4-laps of "live" action...repeat until some one does a backflip off the car, show that backflip more times than Nadia Comanchi's (sp) perfect 10, and call it a motorsport presentation.

Or maybe I just don't get it.... :huh:

I agree that TV3 raped the V8's in Hamilton. But then the racing sucked too. TV3 used to do things right, but, sigh, not anymore....

At least Sky has Karcher Pitlane, and a few other Motorsport shows throughout the week. Always good to watch the TRS guys - if you go to any motorsport in NZ, be it Teretonga, Manfield, or Taupo, the TRS field always features good battles and racing - unfortunately due to the sucky nature of the Hamilton track, they couldn't show it.

Yeah the racing at Hamilton wasn't that great. Too much crashing. Also Tander is clearly the best driver in the field at the moment so it seems to be the best of the rest.

The TRS is a very good series, that was a big step forward for open wheel racing here.

Ok time to start my rant!!!

Atleast you get Qualy and the races live, over the ditch here in Oz we have the Formula One on Channel 10 (ordinarry free to air channel) who advertised the qualy would be on at 4.30am about 6 - 7 hours delayed for a start, but we have only just started getting qualy for a year or two so better than nothing. Next thing is you get up in the early hours of Sunday morning (something that is just too hard for the Europeans, but that's another matter) but have to get up earlier than the advertised time because Channel 10 on occasions decide to put the qualy on 45 minutes early sometimes. Then this morning the qualy eventually started an hour after the advertised time of 4.30. Now that is F#%king pathetic.

Agree.

So next time you lucky people are watching the entire GP weekend live, give us battlers here in Australia a thought.

Ok time to start my rant!!!

Atleast you get Qualy and the races live, over the ditch here in Oz we have the Formula One on Channel 10 (ordinarry free to air channel) who advertised the qualy would be on at 4.30am about 6 - 7 hours delayed for a start, but we have only just started getting qualy for a year or two so better than nothing. Next thing is you get up in the early hours of Sunday morning (something that is just too hard for the Europeans, but that's another matter) but have to get up earlier than the advertised time because Channel 10 on occasions decide to put the qualy on 45 minutes early sometimes. Then this morning the qualy eventually started an hour after the advertised time of 4.30. Now that is F#%king pathetic.

Agree.

So next time you lucky people are watching the entire GP weekend live, give us battlers here in Australia a thought.

Yep, know how you feel Nath. Same thing happen to me.