Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Rant Time!

blah blah blah

"I've got an apple" - means you have an apple

"I've gotten an apple" - means you went and got an apple and implies an action

"Your dog s##t on my lawn!" - implies my dog took a dump on your lawn

"You're dog s##t on my lawn!" - implies i am dog s##t and i am on your lawn

Now write the correct way damnit!

"I've got an apple" - means you have an apple

"I've gotten an apple" - means you went and got an apple and implies an action

Sorry to be a git, but that's not strictly correct - these sentences have the same grammatical tense - therefore (in British English) you couldn't say (until recently) that there should be two past participles of the word "get" that have different implications. This is the influence of lazy grammar / vocabulary becoming generally accepted. Like saying "They had a meeting Tuesday." rather than "They had a meeting on Tuesday."

In British English (up until recently) your second sentence would have been rejected as simply incorrect. Strict reading of the first sentence (being present perfect tense) should actually be "An apple previously came into my possesion and remains there now". Your meaning - "you have an apple" is actually the correct meaning of the sentence "I have an apple" (present simple tense) not "I've got an apple" (present perfect tense). In the same way as "I ate." and "I have eaten." have different meanings.

In British English "gotten" was traditionally not a word at all. The use of "gotten" is being gradually accepted, but originally came from American English. If we use present/past/future perfect tenses, in British English, the past participle was always "got". Newer versions of the Oxford English Dictionary cite the pp. as being "got OR gotten" due to the increasing American influence. British English dictionaries from before c.1996-7 cite the pp. as "got" only.

Conversely - American dictionaries have cited "gotten OR got" for a long time, since the realization that saying "I've gotten an apple" would have to replace "I've got and apple" if the pp. were to be "gotten" only.

Furthermore - these are almost equivilant in meaning and are used interchangeably...

"Do you have an apple?" and "Have you got an apple?"

As are the answers..

"Yes I do." or "Yes I have."

But actually use different grammar tenses (Present simple and Present perfect tenses respectively).

If you go here you'll see a list of irregular verbs from a US site and you'll notice quite a few have more than one pp. listed.

In strict British English there was only one pp. for each verb until fairly recently.

Of course I'm being an extremely picky b#####d - but that's what we English teachers are here for. :D

"Your dog s##t on my lawn!" - implies my dog took a dump on your lawn

"You're dog s##t on my lawn!" - implies i am dog s##t and i am on your lawn

I know fella - that's why I wrote it. To demonstrate the different connotations of a sentence if you use "you're" or "your" incorrectly.

Aubergine or eggplant? - the Brits went with the French on that one - other English speaking nations have adopted another b#####disation (or b#####dization) there too. ;)

You are all boring me to death. And there's dog s##t on my lawn.

sorry :P