Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tifosi too!

May 1st- The 14th Anniversary

I 'm kind of surprised not to see a thread about Ayrton Senna today, since 14 years ago, this day, he was tragically killed in Imola while leading the race.

Not much of a tribute, just a reminder about the man, the triple F1 champion and to pay respect where is due.

I 'm kind of surprised not to see a thread about Ayrton Senna today, since 14 years ago, this day, he was tragically killed in Imola while leading the race.

Not much of a tribute, just a reminder about the man, the triple F1 champion and to pay respect where is due.

All hail the the one and only.

You are still sorely missed, Ayrton :(

Ah I totally forgot...

RIP to Ayrton Senna, one of the greatest there's been.

Absolutely. I remember that day well. We taped the race and were watching it about two hours after it had started, having not seen the news or TV. Both my Mrs and I commented on Ayrton's demeanour before the race - just seemed wrong, we knew something was up but couldn't put our finger on it.

A shocking turn of events and a huge loss.

The sickness of that day. Ah, it doesn't take much to get that feeling back. Scary really. I was 21. I remember getting angry with people who were not as bothered as me. I remember realising that even a genius behind the wheel like Ayrton can get it wrong. That realisation was akin to realising that your parents aren't pefect. It shook me. What? master of car control, dead? How does this affect my perception of infallibility? I genuinely started driving more carefully afterwards. It was the day i grew up in a a car. Senna was dead; If i continued to act like an arse on the road, i could be too. It suddenly dawned. Ayrton had helped me to grow up. There was a lesson. I should take heed.

Guys like Hendrix, Dean and Morrison were destined to become teen idols because they died early. But Ayrton was that man before he died. He had already established himself as that genius. I'm not religious, but Ayrton's belief and the fact that it drove him on to the dizzy heights he achieved makes me almost want to believe. His belief was part of his success, i loved his success, i loved him. Was i, an athiest, somehow buying into the notion of God? Not sure, don't think so. No. God was not doing it, Ayrton was. Balls out. Scary laps. Scary to him and us. Thoughtful and sensitive. Ruthless like Michael was afterwards but with a passion so deep. On the absolute edge of wherever the most incredible skill level and courage could take a man in a vehicle with four wheels. There he was.

Some sort of spiritual being that i can't quite describe without mentioning God again. There was something about that man, quite obviously.

The likes of him again? No way. Driving skill?, maybe. Achievement?, already surpassed.

The man? The myth? The legend? The soul?

Never.

I didn't know much about F1 when he died, but 13 years back, my I heard my friends talk of him, thats when I started watching F1!

I understand why everyone miss him.

The sickness of that day. Ah, it doesn't take much to get that feeling back. Scary really. I was 21. I remember getting angry with people who were not as bothered as me. I remember realising that even a genius behind the wheel like Ayrton can get it wrong. That realisation was akin to realising that your parents aren't pefect. It shook me. What? master of car control, dead? How does this affect my perception of infallibility? I genuinely started driving more carefully afterwards. It was the day i grew up in a a car. Senna was dead; If i continued to act like an arse on the road, i could be too. It suddenly dawned. Ayrton had helped me to grow up. There was a lesson. I should take heed.

Guys like Hendrix, Dean and Morrison were destined to become teen idols because they died early. But Ayrton was that man before he died. He had already established himself as that genius. I'm not religious, but Ayrton's belief and the fact that it drove him on to the dizzy heights he achieved makes me almost want to believe. His belief was part of his success, i loved his success, i loved him. Was i, an athiest, somehow buying into the notion of God? Not sure, don't think so. No. God was not doing it, Ayrton was. Balls out. Scary laps. Scary to him and us. Thoughtful and sensitive. Ruthless like Michael was afterwards but with a passion so deep. On the absolute edge of wherever the most incredible skill level and courage could take a man in a vehicle with four wheels. There he was.

Some sort of spiritual being that i can't quite describe without mentioning God again. There was something about that man, quite obviously.

The likes of him again? No way. Driving skill?, maybe. Achievement?, already surpassed.

Never.

Great post.

We will never forget Ayrton, nor those of whom have lost their lives before him, doing what they do best, driving a car on the absolute limit.

Given that he died out of the track I think that MS was leading the race at the moment he crashed, he was leading the race until he got out of the track, I am taking into consideration the fact that if he don't crash with the wall he would not be able to keep his position probably he would be in the last position, the were all lined up by the safety car and that was the second lap after the SC came in.

He never was my favorite but I pay respect to him too, he was a great driver.

Ahh Senna, you are missed.

Alas, the candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

RIP SENNA

Never.

Nailed it.

He was loved as much as hated, respected as much as feared...

That was the F1 we all would like to have but that weekend changed it all.

In so many ways.

How much is the Marilyn Monroe factor I wonder, would he be as important alive as he is dead?

I don't know, but every time I hear people go on about their 'idols', it sounds like they're talking about a creation in their minds. And it's far easier to create what you want with someone who's dead.

Some perspective would be nice. He wasn't perfect, and he didn't become perfect when he died. As a guy who drove cars for a living, in the grand scheme of things, he was a pretty ordinary human being.

RIP Ayrton. I like to point out that a day before Ayrton dead Ratzemberger died due to a broked rear wing. Those weekend was one of the worst in F1 history!

RIP Ayrton. I like to point out that a day before Ayrton dead Ratzemberger died due to a broked rear wing. Those weekend was one of the worst in F1 history!

Yes that weekend changed F1 for so many reasons, in so many ways. Barrichello's accident was scary, worse than Senna's I'd say, some mechanics were injured by a flying wheel...

A lot of people here were relatively young at the time. They don't remember how frequent death was in F1, they've only read about it. It was something that hadn't happened for so long. That's why it made such an impression. For me, it was Ronnie Peterson. For others it was Jim Clark, or Jochen Rindt, or Francois Cevert, or any number of drivers who came to an untimely end. An unwelcome reminder of our own mortality.

At the time Senna died I was becoming a fan of him, he was driving a car with a Renault engine ahhh!, I used to hate him so much before, just the way I hated Schumacher when he was with Ferrari...I didnt know how much his death made me feel sad, I couldnt believe it! suddenly he was dead! since that day, Formula 1 changed so much, everything in regard the security of drivers, the size of the suspension bars, the use of thread wheels, even the 8cl engines is result of his loss.

I think that when Senna died, part of the trully F1 died too...

I miss him, a lot.

When ayrton died, a large part of a lot of fan\'s hearts died with him, and there is little doubt that he could have achieved even more. A sad event, but he will never be forgotten

Just to be pendantic it was the front wing but yeah, the injuries in the crowd, the pits, the huge crash Rubens was injured in and the death of a promising young rookie and a legend. Not to mention the race after what happened to Karl, or the horror shunt for one of the Simtek drivers in Spain... the pitlane fire...

In 1994 everything just seemed to turn to s##t. I think whilst the banning of some technologies was important the FIA changed too much too soon.

the death of a promising young rookie and a legend.

Everyone's going to hate me for this, but here goes. Isn't it important enough that two human beings died for the sake of mere entertainment? Why do we have to indulge in revisionism? Roland Ratzenberger was not a promising young rookie. He was a 34 year old veteran racing driver, very good in racing driver terms, painfully mediocre in F1 terms, who finally made it to F1 on the back of a small team that soon collapsed and which had drivers of the likes of Taki Inoue.

Which doesn't lessen the significance or the tragedy of his death one little bit.

Why do we have to romanticize then?

Isn't it important enough that two human beings died for the sake of mere entertainment? ...

two human beings?... for sake of entertainment a lot of people had died...(just in the F1 world)

Why do we have to romanticize then?

thats the way legends are built...isnt it?

There is a theory that Ayrton's death made him a bigger legend than he would otherwise have been but looking back at what he had achieved and how fast he could be I'd say not nearly as much as some make out. He really was an amazing individual.

He died doing what he loved.

More than what can be said of some idiots on this planet.