Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tifosi too!

May 1st- The 14th Anniversary

Yes 94 was the year everything went down the crapper in F1.

Especially Hill's Australian left hand front upper wishbone.

Especially Hill's Australian left hand front upper wishbone.

Damn Schumacher... <_<

-_-

The sickness of that day. Ah, it doesn't take much to get that feeling back. Scary really. I was 21. I remember getting angry with people who were not as bothered as me. I remember realising that even a genius behind the wheel like Ayrton can get it wrong. That realisation was akin to realising that your parents aren't pefect. It shook me. What? master of car control, dead? How does this affect my perception of infallibility? I genuinely started driving more carefully afterwards. It was the day i grew up in a a car. Senna was dead; If i continued to act like an arse on the road, i could be too. It suddenly dawned. Ayrton had helped me to grow up. There was a lesson. I should take heed.

Guys like Hendrix, Dean and Morrison were destined to become teen idols because they died early. But Ayrton was that man before he died. He had already established himself as that genius. I'm not religious, but Ayrton's belief and the fact that it drove him on to the dizzy heights he achieved makes me almost want to believe. His belief was part of his success, i loved his success, i loved him. Was i, an athiest, somehow buying into the notion of God? Not sure, don't think so. No. God was not doing it, Ayrton was. Balls out. Scary laps. Scary to him and us. Thoughtful and sensitive. Ruthless like Michael was afterwards but with a passion so deep. On the absolute edge of wherever the most incredible skill level and courage could take a man in a vehicle with four wheels. There he was.

Some sort of spiritual being that i can't quite describe without mentioning God again. There was something about that man, quite obviously.

The likes of him again? No way. Driving skill?, maybe. Achievement?, already surpassed.

The man? The myth? The legend? The soul?

Never.

You've moved me close to tears my friend...

I was'nt an F1 fan back then, but I remember the day. Why? For some reason when I heard the news, I felt a great sadness. I did not know why, I still don't, I did'nt watch F1, it did'nt make sense, I was sad the whole day, I still can't explain it. It's as though some magical sad power has affected me.......

I remember the feeling very well.... a great great loss

Just to be pendantic it was the front wing but yeah, the injuries in the crowd, the pits, the huge crash Rubens was injured in and the death of a promising young rookie and a legend. Not to mention the race after what happened to Karl, or the horror shunt for one of the Simtek drivers in Spain... the pitlane fire...

In 1994 everything just seemed to turn to s##t. I think whilst the banning of some technologies was important the FIA changed too much too soon.

Yes was the front wing... I

According to whom ?!

Even Michael Schumacher says he was the best driver he has have ever met... See the book titled "Edge of Greatness" by James Allen.

I actually believe that if you do some research, you will find out that he was and will always be the greatest driver of all time.

Schumacher is a very very close second.

Even Michael Schumacher says he was the best driver he has have ever met... See the book titled "Edge of Greatness" by James Allen.

I actually believe that if you do some research, you will find out that he was and will always be the greatest driver of all time.

Yeah, it's a pretty good read. But this is going back to the old argument of comparing drivers across different era's. An impossible task.

Ayrton Senna was one of the greatest of all time to me, but so was Clark. Each to their own, all drivers have captured people's imaginations in different ways. And then we throw the massively improved media coverage into the mix, then comparisons become even more pointless. I guess you're pretty young MSF? No offence, but it's natural we cling to the ones we've actually seen, the great thing is that someone at the top of their game has given you something great, enjoy!

But going back to Ayrton Senna, some hate him (DOF?!?!) some love him. but for me, Dribbler's earlier post is the perfect description of Senna - the guy had a soul that was magnetic in every way. And probably still is ;) May God have mercy if he's ever a passenger with him.............

If Ayrton Senna was alive, there is no doubt that he would have been the first seven time World Champion.

I'm not so sure. It depends who he would have been driving for. History shows us that good drivers in great cars are more than a match for a great driver in a good car. Schumacher's thorns in his side were 1997,1998,and 2006. Michael's ability to be more cunning in maximizing all possibilities around him may have seen him pinch titles form Ayrton, who may still have been the better driver.

Well, what else would Michael say? Ayrton was the best driver Michael ever came up against, that's for sure. I'm not sure what thay proves really. It's all a bit subjective.

Cavallino was brutally correct; Ayrton's legacy was boosted by death. Michael's ranking will always be boosted by incredible statistics.

I'm fascinated about this research you have done which concludes that Ayrton was the best of all time. "Edge Of Greatness" surely is not it because although it's a decent read, it's not a revelation.

You are new here, so I'll be gentle. Your post is bollocks. Welcome to the forum.

Don't mind our Russ. His indecipherable secret code has me scratching my head more than a louse ridden teenager.

If Ayrton Senna was alive, there is no doubt that he would have been the first seven time World Champion.

:) Jimmy Clark could've been, but it doesn't matter it's all pointless to say, Schumi and Senna were both great drivers regardless.

The fact that you all forgot even mentioning Fangio is, at least, surprising. :P

To be fair, Andres, this was supposed to be a thread about Ayrton Senna. If we are discussing the all time greats, then of course Fangio would be on my list. I'm guessing he is going to be quite high on yours too (not that i would suggest any kind of patriotic stance from you!)

Pure and utter B*.

Here's a clue fanatical-boy, there's no such thing as the greatest driver ever. His actions or of any <insert driver here> do not showcase anything to make him greater then Fangio, Clark, Nuvolari, Rosemayer, Boilot or Nazarro.

Only blind worshiping fanatics come up with such B*.

This does not detract in any way the fact that he was one of the greatest drivers ever.

... and James Allen is a freaking biased idiot.

Pure and utter B*.

Here's a clue fanatical-boy, there's no such thing as the greatest driver ever. His actions or of any <insert driver here> do not showcase anything to make him greater then Fangio, Clark, Nuvolari, Rosemayer, Boilot or Nazarro.

Only blind worshiping fanatics come up with such B*.

This does not detract in any way the fact that he was one of the greatest drivers ever.

... and James Allen is a freaking biased idiot.

The record for fastest ever laps stood like a beacon before Schumacher overtook it with almost double Grand Prix races. Senna was'nt just quick, he defined quick. He was in the league of those great men, even greater. Don't be so quick to diminish one of the greatest GP drivers ever. Show some respect.

EDIT: and I just re-read your post and caught the bolded part...sorry

I think what Senna has for him is the fact that he raced with other legends like Prost, Piquet and Mansell. As for Schumacher... well, he dominated the so called Dark Era of F1, and I believe I don't need to get into much detail to explain why it was a Dark Era.

I always tend to be really careful not to say what I truly think about Schumacher and his dominance because I don't wanna p**s off his fans. So I'll just stop right here.

I think what Senna has for him is the fact that he raced with other legends like Prost, Piquet and Mansell. As for Schumacher... well, he dominated the so called Dark Era of F1, and I believe I don't need to get into much detail to explain why it was a Dark Era.

I always tend to be really careful not to say what I truly think about Schumacher and his dominance because I don't wanna p**s off his fans. So I'll just stop right here.

True AS, plus Mika also retired...

Comparing "who is/was best in F1" and is about as meaningful as comparing their willy sizes. Different cars, different competition, different rules, different tracks, different points basis, different technologies.

At the time they were their respective bests and we should recognise them for this and leave it at that.

[quote name='Meanioni' post='251118' date='May 9 2008, 11:23 AM']Comparing "who is/was best in F1" and is about as meaningful as comparing their willy sizes. Different cars, different competition, different rules, different tracks, different points basis, different technologies.

At the time they were their respective bests and we should recognise them for this and leave it at that.[/quote]
Yes, but the misconception is that a quick driver from another era would not have been in a different era. A quick driver is always a quick driver, Senna would've outraced anyone in any other era...

To be fair, Andres, this was supposed to be a thread about Ayrton Senna. If we are discussing the all time greats, then of course Fangio would be on my list. I'm guessing he is going to be quite high on yours too (not that i would suggest any kind of patriotic stance from you!)

Not at all, you know I am totally objective. It is just that, IMHO, Fangio was not just the greatest driver of all times, but also the man who have forever changed mankind's destiny, and possibly other extra terrestrial civilization's too.

And I have no idea what nationality Fangio was, by the way. :whistling:

Comparing "who is/was best in F1" and is about as meaningful as comparing their willy sizes. Different cars, different competition, different rules, different tracks, different points basis, different technologies.

At the time they were their respective bests and we should recognise them for this and leave it at that.

Precisely why the best ever only exists in the minds of fanboys.

Not at all, you know I am totally objective. It is just that, IMHO, Fangio was not just the greatest driver of all times, but also the man who have forever changed mankind's destiny, and possibly other extra terrestrial civilization's too.

:lol::lol:

:lol:

Indeed. He started an avalanche of great Argentinian drivers :whistling: