Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yurp

Driver Of The Day - Turkey

YOU CAN PICK MORE THAN 1!!!!!!!  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who was/were the Driver(s) of the Day?

• Massa
    • Hamilton
    • Raikkonen
    • Kubica
    • Heidfeld
    • Alonso
    • Webber
    • Rosberg
    • Coulthard (at least he didn't crash)
    • Other
    • My favourite driver - he always is

You posts are a crap already, and you seem to have admitted finally.

People seem to be overconcerned about maure's post but there are some much crappier posts around and nobody says a word.

P.S.- I don't think maure's posts are crap. Can be an irritating style for some of you but his posts contain a lot of pieces of truth.

Your system is still poor, Admastrags, it should allow to vote for OTHER, more than once as it was my case:

1) Voted for Lewis: I hate his guts, but for once he was the most fun to watch at the top. Massa was worthless when Lewis attacked him. Kimi spent too much time sleeping at the wheel and woke up too late.

2) Heidfeld, had a crappy qualy, a hard strategy but he managed to pull it through. Hard work paid off for the german.

3) Alonso, just to p**s off the Alonsophobics. Yes he is a great driver and sometimes he deserves it, not this time, but how many of your kimi/lewis votes were based on anything else than your repressed homosexual love for the guys? :P Nando was not DOD candidate this time, but he is still one of the top 2 (you pick the other) drivers in the field.

4) Kovy: another hard worker. He had bad luck, and he had to overtake everybody. Not too brilliant, but the effort counts.

5) Piquet: yes, even I am amazed at this choice, but he overtook Sutil (or Vettel, who knows?) exiting a corner and it was a beauty to behold. And he also almost sends Button to an unplanned pitstop when he overtook Jenson at the pits entrance. The guy is awful, his qualy was s##t, but he tried to make the best of it and succeeded.

Alonso has the same engine as Webber in the Redbull - All things being equal and assuming the Macs/ferrari's and BMW's finish he will compete with Webber for 7/8th place - On occassion the williams/toyota's will have a good race, but it is folly to claim that Alonso is punching above his weight. He is not!

Exactly - he beat Webber and Coulthard - so he's worth one of my (4) votes. I also voted for Webber. So we agree. Remember - I'm not an Alonso fan. It is possible to vote for him and not be an Alonso fan, so please stop saying that anyone who votes for him is a blind Alonso fanatic. You're not arguing the point, just dismissing an opinion based on a groundless assumption.

The point of driver of the day is to pick one actually. If you want several pick make it winners of Turkey or something. My own choice is rather difficult, not much to pick as everyone did mostly what expected. I guess i will give it to Rosberg for getting point and beating out Toyota. Alonso and Webber are also high on list.

Yes - this way One driver still gets picked as driver of the day - the driver with the most votes. Simple really. The better thing is that people can vote for 3 drivers if they themselves are undecided.

Your system is still poor, Admastrags, it should allow to vote for OTHER, more than once as it was my case:

I agree - I was thinking of listing all the drivers, but it seemed a little too much like hard work.

The fact that you can't vote for options more than once, works for the drivers though, otherwise we'd have Hamilton, Alonso and Kimi fans voting for their favourite umpteen times.

3) Alonso, just to p**s off the Alonsophobics. Yes he is a great driver and sometimes he deserves it, not this time, but how many of your kimi/lewis votes were based on anything else than your repressed homosexual love for the guys? :P

:lol:

Funny how not ONE vote has been made for the "My favourite Driver" option. Obviously "repressed homosexual love" is truly blind.

On a more serious note...

The lack of objectivity in the world saddens me. It's that same lack of critical analysis and objectivity that leads to all the world's problems - war, greed, racism, murder.

I was brought up with the code of good sportsmanship running through my very being. Playing to win but - more importantly - win OR loose, congratulating, apreciating AND respecting my oponent. Where has that gentlemenly conduct gone?

Funny how not ONE vote has been made for the "My favourite Driver" option. Obviously "repressed homosexual love" is truly blind.

True, but like I said, I voted Nando just to p**s everybody off. I don't think he always is DOD, and in this case he certainly wasn't. I am a fan, but no partisan.

On a more serious note...

The lack of objectivity in the world saddens me. It's that same lack of critical analysis and objectivity that leads to all the world's problems - war, greed, racism, murder.

I was brought up with the code of good sportsmanship running through my very being. Playing to win but - more importantly - win OR loose, congratulating, apreciating AND respecting my oponent. Where has that gentlemenly conduct gone?

I couldn't agree more, but our time has passed, it seems. Now it's all about results. In every order of life. Despite being told otherwise since we were kids, the truth is that nowadays the end justify the means.

Quite right! :P The day drivers start playing fair is the day I switch over to women's welterweight knitting on BBC4.

Was not that stupid knot at Hungaroring a miracle for Michael?

Don't you remember Alonso losing about 20 seconds during a pit-stop a race later?

Was not that stupid penalty and final retirement at Monza a miracle for Michael?

Alonso deserved that title as much as Schumacher, no more but no less either.

Just the same way he deserves to be DOD in every race even in thoses he didn't even got to the middle of the race, he si DOD just because he started the race and his wheels were turning, that's going to happen in every race so from now on we will select the second best DOD and we will make Alonso a vitalicious DOD just to please you all, ABF (Alonso Blind Fans) now that we ALL agree to this I confirm that my Second Best DOD (Alonso is the first always don't forget it) was Hamilton he did a great job I even dare to say that he did a job almost, not as good but almost as good as Alonso, Happy Now?

I could sift through 3 pages of Alonso-slagging.

Or I could just raise my post count.

I'll go with the latter. Jerry Nadeau, great job getting that elusive first win! Oh, and big congrats to Bobby Labonte, the 2000 Winston Cup champion! Great year, guys! And farewell to Bob Jenkins, Ned Jarrett, Benny Parsons, and the rest of the ESPN crew. You guys were top notch, and you will be sorely missed.

(The only reason is I just watched ESPN's Farewell after the fall Atlanta race in 2000...and I decided to never watch a NASCAR race again. Damn, were the days so good back then. Sunday afternoons just haven't been fun for so long).

I could sift through 3 pages of Alonso-slagging.

Or I could just raise my post count.

I'll go with the latter. Jerry Nadeau, great job getting that elusive first win! Oh, and big congrats to Bobby Labonte, the 2000 Winston Cup champion! Great year, guys! And farewell to Bob Jenkins, Ned Jarrett, Benny Parsons, and the rest of the ESPN crew. You guys were top notch, and you will be sorely missed.

(The only reason is I just watched ESPN's Farewell after the fall Atlanta race in 2000...and I decided to never watch a NASCAR race again. Damn, were the days so good back then. Sunday afternoons just haven't been fun for so long).

I agree with all of the picks except Eric's. NASCAR races belong at the County Fair's. Personally, I love taking my son to see the local Sprint races - $6 a ticket, the guys get like $1,000 for the first place, we are the only fans in the stands NOT being one of the racer's families, and hot dogs are a $1 a piece. cannot beat it, and that's where NASCAR should be - a local New Castle County, Delaware (near the County Airport) speed track (dirt). With a $6 tickets and free authographs after.

I agree with all of the picks except Eric's. NASCAR races belong at the County Fair's. Personally, I love taking my son to see the local Sprint races - $6 a ticket, the guys get like $1,000 for the first place, we are the only fans in the stands NOT being one of the racer's families, and hot dogs are a $1 a piece. cannot beat it, and that's where NASCAR should be - a local New Castle County, Delaware (near the County Airport) speed track (dirt). With a $6 tickets and free authographs after.

I agree that local short track racing owns every form of racing that is out there today.

But 90s NASCAR was just real special to me.

Short tracks are and were my Saturday nights. NASCAR was my Sunday afternoons.

My local short track sells out, 10000 there every weekend. $12/ticket, 12 and under free. Winner gets $250-$1000 depending on the series, except special events they might get $2000 or $10000 in a Modified race. It's a great atmosphere, and the racing is actually entertaining.

But even that's slowed down. Fossil fuel is destroying our nation's economy. Race drivers pay $8/gallon for gas. The fields are very small this year (the trucks are down from 20 last year to 12 this year). The concessions have changed and they aren't as good. My favorite commentator retired and now we have a guy who doesn't know how to use a microphone properly. But the racing is still good. It's just sad to see local racers go out of business, local tracks shut down, and above all us, seeing them die, which I hear about too much.

But it's still a lot more fun than any pro race today.

But you can't blame me for wanting NASCAR to go back to the way it was. I need both.

A statistical breakdown of the results so far...

Hamilton seems to be running as current DoD on 13 points closely followed by Massa on 11, then Alonso on 9 and Webber on 5.

We appear to have only one honest patron who checked the "My favourite driver" option, or else everyone's honest and they just don't like Hamilton, Massa, Alonso or Webber. Hmmm.

It looks like loads of people voted when infact it may only be 13 people - doesn't this look like a popular F1 forum - yay.

Coulthard did indeed get one vote purely on the basis of not crashing into someone - nice one DC!

People are complaining that others are making silly votes just because they like a driver - no change there then.

With 57 votes cast...

23% voted for Hamilton.

In kg that's about as heavy as an adult labrador.

By definition, 'driver of the day' should mean precisely that. All this 'vote for more than one' is poppyc#ck. That should be, and currently is the preserve of threads for discussion.

The driver of the day, in my opinion, was Lewis. He took the fight to Massa with agression. He stopped once more and therefore had the greater potential for problems. He drove on a tyre (for the majority of the race) that 'moved' around more and therefore looked exciting and allowed him to exploit his skill for a loose back end. He demonstrated that he could drive flat out with out making mistakes, under pressure, on demand. Massa was great but i want to know why. In Lewis, you could see why.

I suspect that various people seem unable to comprehend the English language - astounding since they seem to make a fairly good stab at typing it.

Just one example...

By definition, 'driver of the day' should mean precisely that. All this 'vote for more than one' is poppyc#ck. That should be, and currently is the preserve of threads for discussion.

comedy

Point 1 - did it kill you?

Point 2 - many people seem to like the multiple vote system.

Point 3 - we should open up a discussion about whether to have multiple or single votes for DoD thread????? How on earth do you find time for that real life you must, so blatently, enjoy? You raver you - I want to have that much fun too - Please teach me how.

Point 4 - engage your cerebral mass...

When London elected Boris "poppyc#ck" Johnson they were allowed to enter their second choice vote too. That meant that if they were voting for the lib dem candidate, they could still choose the lesser of two evils when it came to the runoff. That meant 2 things - 1) a vote for lib dem wasn't wasted and so lib dems got proportional representation when otherwise they wouldn't have had, because people would have used a single vote for one of the 2 front runners, rather than their actual prefered candidate AND 2) the candidate that won did so by consensus.

That contest was not named "the Mayors of London vote" since 1 person won!

It's a fairly simple thing to understand. If the majority of Londoners get it (even Millwall supporters), then surely we can.

I dare say that the result of this vote will be much the same as it would have been had everyone had one vote except that drivers with fewer rabid fans amongst total F1 patrons will get some deserved credit for their comendable drives. Surely that can't be anything but good.

What flack they got when scientists were silly enough to say that men were related to other Apes. What fools! What charletans! What heretics!

What's that?.... oh.

As I said earlier...

Yes - this way One driver still gets picked as driver of the day - the driver with the most votes. Simple really. The better thing is that people can vote for 3 drivers if they themselves are undecided.

As I also said earlier...

maybe multiple choice democracy is too big a step for totalf1 society to handle right now.

I rest my case.

Enlightment is obviously a long way off - bring back the dark ages - the world is flat - god created everything - I'll burn in hell as a sinner - science is evil - I shall marry my girlfriend before we have sex again - although that won't save my depraved soul from eternal hellfire.

:P

Exactly - he beat Webber and Coulthard - so he's worth one of my (4) votes. I also voted for Webber. So we agree. Remember - I'm not an Alonso fan. It is possible to vote for him and not be an Alonso fan, so please stop saying that anyone who votes for him is a blind Alonso fanatic. You're not arguing the point, just dismissing an opinion based on a groundless assumption.

Fair enough

;)

I suspect that various people seem unable to comprehend the English language - astounding since they seem to make a fairly good stab at typing it.

Just one example...

comedy

Point 1 - did it kill you?

Point 2 - many people seem to like the multiple vote system.

Point 3 - we should open up a discussion about whether to have multiple or single votes for DoD thread????? How on earth do you find time for that real life you must, so blatently, enjoy? You raver you - I want to have that much fun too - Please teach me how.

Point 4 - engage your cerebral mass...

When London elected Boris "poppyc#ck" Johnson they were allowed to enter their second choice vote too. That meant that if they were voting for the lib dem candidate, they could still choose the lesser of two evils when it came to the runoff. That meant 2 things - 1) a vote for lib dem wasn't wasted and so lib dems got proportional representation when otherwise they wouldn't have had, because people would have used a single vote for one of the 2 front runners, rather than their actual prefered candidate AND 2) the candidate that won did so by consensus.

That contest was not named "the Mayors of London vote" since 1 person won!

It's a fairly simple thing to understand. If the majority of Londoners get it (even Millwall supporters), then surely we can.

I dare say that the result of this vote will be much the same as it would have been had everyone had one vote except that drivers with fewer rabid fans amongst total F1 patrons will get some deserved credit for their comendable drives. Surely that can't be anything but good.

What flack they got when scientists were silly enough to say that men were related to other Apes. What fools! What charletans! What heretics!

What's that?.... oh.

As I said earlier...

As I also said earlier...

I rest my case.

Enlightment is obviously a long way off - bring back the dark ages - the world is flat - god created everything - I'll burn in hell as a sinner - science is evil - I shall marry my girlfriend before we have sex again - although that won't save my depraved soul from eternal hellfire.

:P

Arrogance doesn't suit you either :P

Driver of the day, by definition, is just that. Multiple choice responses dilute the issue and tend to boost the fan boy vote - Why else would Alonso receive so many votes for a performance no better or worse than he or anyone would have expected. I guess the main advantage of this type of poll is that it enables the fan boys to place one vote for their favourite driver and one on merit.

As for your Mayoral Vote analogy the 2nd choice would only come in to effect in the event of a tie. It is for all intents and purposes useless as how likely is it to get a tie when 2m plus votes are cast.

;)

People seem to be overconcerned about maure's post but there are some much crappier posts around and nobody says a word.

P.S.- I don't think maure's posts are crap. Can be an irritating style for some of you but his posts contain a lot of pieces of truth.

So you agree with the crap that Kova is not allowed to win in Mclaren?

http://totalf1.com/fullstory/view/257911/W...would_have_won/

Kova could have won the race, but he made a mistake and blew it.

Arrogance doesn't suit you either :P

Driver of the day, by definition, is just that. Multiple choice responses dilute the issue and tend to boost the fan boy vote - Why else would Alonso receive so many votes for a performance no better or worse than he or anyone would have expected. I guess the main advantage of this type of poll is that it enables the fan boys to place one vote for their favourite driver and one on merit.

As for your Mayoral Vote analogy the 2nd choice would only come in to effect in the event of a tie. It is for all intents and purposes useless as how likely is it to get a tie when 2m plus votes are cast.

;)

aww - i like arrogance mode the bestist

To your second point...

blah blah alonso blah

look at the spread in the votes - it's far better than 15 for hamilton, 15 for alonso, 15 for kimi and none for anyone else.

To your last point - that's simple and purely wrong...

your understanding of the mayoral vote is incorrect.

All votes that weren't for ken or boris WERE counted twice. Votes for Lib dems were counted for their assembly representation and then those voters' second choice votes were counted to see who took the final victory between the two front runners (ken or boris). There was no draw, but ALL votes were counted for both the assembly representation AND the final mayor elected.

EDIT - to make it simpler...

think of it like this:

you have only one vote. you can choose to plump for only one driver - in which case your vote works completely in their favour and against any others OR you can choose to split your vote 1, 2, 3 or even 10 ways - thus diluting the affect your own vote has. i.e. a vote for massa AND rosberg would have less of an affect for massa than voting for him only.

get it?

aww - i like arrogance mode the bestist

To your second point...

blah blah alonso blah

look at the spread in the votes - it's far better than 15 for hamilton, 15 for alonso, 15 for kimi and none for anyone else.

To your last point - that's simple and purely wrong...

your understanding of the mayoral vote is incorrect.

All votes that weren't for ken or boris WERE counted twice. Votes for Lib dems were counted for their assembly representation and then those voters' second choice votes were counted to see who took the final victory between the two front runners (ken or boris). There was no draw, but ALL votes were counted for both the assembly representation AND the final mayor elected.

EDIT - to make it simpler...

think of it like this:

you have only one vote. you can choose to plump for only one driver - in which case your vote works completely in their favour and against any others OR you can choose to split your vote 1, 2, 3 or even 10 ways - thus diluting the affect your own vote has. i.e. a vote for massa AND rosberg would have less of an affect for massa than voting for him only.

get it?

Look mate, take a chill pill and join the community rather than trying to impose your will and ridiculing long standing forum members. DOD of the day has been running on this borad long before you joined and, Im sure, will do so when you inevitably leave. It is arrogant to introduce a new system and deride all that went before it as inferior - we were happy with the previous system and don't need you to tell us what's best for us.

I don't really care, but I'd urge you not to belittle the likes of Dribbler or others as you wont last long round here.

Just my take

<_<

So, if the result of a multiple choice vote is going to be "much the same" as the traditional first past the post system then all you've done is disappear up your own arse in a fog of pointlessness. Just my opinion, as ever.

Coming up with a new system is fine. Taking pot shots at those who disagree is puerile.

Just the same way he deserves to be DOD in every race even in thoses he didn't even got to the middle of the race, he si DOD just because he started the race and his wheels were turning, that's going to happen in every race so from now on we will select the second best DOD and we will make Alonso a vitalicious DOD just to please you all, ABF (Alonso Blind Fans) now that we ALL agree to this I confirm that my Second Best DOD (Alonso is the first always don't forget it) was Hamilton he did a great job I even dare to say that he did a job almost, not as good but almost as good as Alonso, Happy Now?

I voted for Hamilton, he was clearly DOD and then I voted for Alonso as a second option. Did you realize it was a multiple option poll? What's the problem with that? I know he doesn't deserve DOD but he did a good race as many others. And if it p**ses you off I have achieved my goal. :D

I hope your cristianity helps you accept other people comments... One day. <_< But now you should start claiming just that same thing for those who vote for Kimi, Webber or Kubica or whatever driver always, no matter what. Are not they Blind Fans? Oh, sorry only we, Alonso fans, are blind. B)

Just by watching all the votes Alonso got we can tell this new system doesn't work DOD is for just ONE driver, for the one who did the best job that's why I voted for Hamilton IMO he did the best job, Massa won the race and Kimi is my favorite driver, both of them are in my favorite team but I didn't see them as the best drivers even when they did a good job, Hamilton as my DOD I am a fan but I am not blind, I saw Hamilton doing a better job than the rest so I voted for him I don't need to give a second vote because it would be useless there is no second DOD, nobody remember the second finishers, I know Schumi is the driver with most wins but who is the one with most second places, I don't is him, he was to bussy finishing first so if anyone knows who is it please let me know and let's forget about multiple choices that is pointless in this case.

I voted for Hamilton, he was clearly DOD and then I voted for Alonso as a second option. Did you realize it was a multiple option poll? What's the problem with that? I know he doesn't deserve DOD but he did a good race as many others. And if it p**ses you off I have achieved my goal. :D

I hope your cristianity helps you accept other people comments... One day. <_< But now you should start claiming just that same thing for those who vote for Kimi, Webber or Kubica or whatever driver always, no matter what. Are not they Blind Fans? Oh, sorry only we, Alonso fans, are blind. B)

You see? what's point of giving him a vote when you admit that he doesn't deserve to be DOD? this multiple choices option is a failure and should be abolished and I have the one who have achieved his goal of showing the world that you and the rest of ABF just vote for him beause he was there, you wrote he doesn't deserve to be DOD but anyway you gave him a vote, senseless, pointless, useless.

No further questions you Honor.

Case closed.

Just by watching all the votes Alonso got we can tell this new system doesn't work DOD is for just ONE driver, for the one who did the best job that's why I voted for Hamilton IMO he did the best job, Massa won the race and Kimi is my favorite driver, both of them are in my favorite team but I didn't see them as the best drivers even when they did a good job, Hamilton as my DOD I am a fan but I am not blind, I saw Hamilton doing a better job than the rest so I voted for him I don't need to give a second vote because it would be useless there is no second DOD, nobody remember the second finishers, I know Schumi is the driver with most wins but who is the one with most second places, I don't is him, he was to bussy finishing first so if anyone knows who is it please let me know and let's forget about multiple choices that is pointless in this case.

nice post sir

So, if the result of a multiple choice vote is going to be "much the same" as the traditional first past the post system then all you've done is disappear up your own arse in a fog of pointlessness. Just my opinion, as ever.

Coming up with a new system is fine. Taking pot shots at those who disagree is puerile.

Actually I said...

"this vote will be much the same as it would have been had everyone had one vote except that drivers with fewer rabid fans amongst total F1 patrons will get some deserved credit for their comendable drives."

That "except" is quite an important part of the sentence.

I would like to defend my pot shot taking on the basis that I slowly and carefully explained the benefits thrice, before finally getting a bit fedup at individuals not actually bothering to read the previous posts. I admit - that was ingratious of me and for that I apolygise.

It's when people keep repeating the same thing and not actually addressing your answer, that it starts to niggle.

Three times, I said - "yes and only 1 driver will win" and no one actually discussed that answer, instead they repeated "DoD is for one driver only, why can people vote for more than one". I mean - if people actually read the posts and told me why my answer wasn't a valid one, then I'd be happy to discuss it, but to ignore it and then spurt out the same ill-informed statement again gets tiresome. It's like discussing evolution with creationists.

Any way - you are right (honestly - no sarcasm here).

I was attempting to get a more even and fair distribution of votes using the multi vote option - it worked in part, but obviously upset some people.

I've reached the conclusion that no matter how we do this - we'll get the same results every time and the same arguments along the lines of "you only voted for x because you like him".

Not really DoD, but rather another excuse for partisan sillyness. (Change + shoe value = whippet)

Is there any way we can find a DoD that doesn't just represent the bias of the forum users? Seriously - any ideas? Let's actually try to get something positive working here. Something that all parties can accept as representational of driver performance.

I was happy that I was able to split my own vote and give a nod to 4 drivers for good races, but it seems that some others weren't - that's fair enough.

PS - I'm glad it's foggy - I don't think I'd like the view. ;)