Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1Babe

Jenson to replace Ralf?

A presentation of www.itv-f1.com

Jenson Button's uncertain future could lay in the hands of former team-mate, Ralf Schumacher.

A story in the Daily Mirror suggests that Ralf Schumacher's erratic performance towards the back end of last season provides Jenson with a glimmer of hope.

Button is widely tipped to leave Renault in 2003 after they recently tee'd up impressive rookie Fernando Alonso as test driver.

But Williams Technical chief Patrick Head hinted that the door could still be open for a Button return.

He said, "At the start of 2001, we were very impressed with Schumacher's approach.

"But the fact is, in the last two years, his junior team-mate started the season behind him and finished it in front.

"That is a concern for us but it must also be a concern for Ralf."

While Schu Jnr has signed a contract with Williams until the end of 2004 if he continues to suffer against Colombian star Juan Pablo Montoya then a lot could change.

I think Jenson's looking good for that 2003 seat at Williams!(i've got my fingers crossed!)

I dunno cos i always thought Ralf would end up at McLaren, but now they've got drivers coming out of their ears so to speak, i can't see that happening.

Maybe Jaguar would have him.

I'd love to see Montoya and Button race together in 2003.

You know, you didnt have to go to ITV for that story, we had it right here too... :)

Anyway this is only rumor. Though the quote by Patrick Head is true, you know what people like us (news writers) can think up from a simple quote, and you dont really know what Mr. Head was thinking about for sure unless you ask him.

I agree with F1Babe, I always thought Ralf would go to Mclaren, but Mclaren already has one #### of a driver line up (Coulthard, Raikkonen, Wurz, Hakkinen, Heidfeld are all under contract). I dont see the need for a Schumacher in there somewhere.

Jaguar is a good guess, but if Sauber lands a works engine deal with a good manufacturer, then I see him going there.