Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rotaryboy

the professor

???  ???  sad to hear about old prost losing his team. but we may be in for more yet???? see also fed ex went to williams??

his name is the professor from his scholarly approach to f1. can someone explain this and tell me the other names for the other drivers like ms is the rainmeister etc etc etc. and if prost was the professor what did they call senna and mansell and pk etc etc

"The Professor" was just a nice way of saying that he wasn't the best driver at all - but he had an intelligent approach to his racing that surpassed anyone else.

Unfortunately he didn't apply any of said intelligence to his money management skills.

Um I think Nigel was called "The Lion" although many think he should have been called "The Whinger".  I think Senna had a nickname too, but I cant recall it and Lauda was called "The Rat"

Not sure about PK, but "PK" may have been it ;)

I totally agree Jens, but in the world of F1 24 must be an unlucky number the last time it was tried was Lola in 1997 (oops Eric what were you thinking)

That would be interesting to see again, too many cars and only a specified number of them qualify... It would add a little spice to the qualifying session!

But it will never happen again, sorry.

Nicknames in formula one go back years one thities(I think) driver named Vittorio Brambilla was renamed 'brambilla the gorilla'. As for others I can think of off hand Piquet was always to my family 'Nelly', While Mansell became il Leone when he was at Ferrari this of course was before the prof arrived and nicked his motor...  ???  Recent name changes that made me me chuckle was when a friend mentioned 'bonsai shuey' as the new name for Ralph.

All this pales into insignificance when going back to the time when Frank Williams had two divers in his employ one Chris Brasher and the other James Hunt. Brasher became affectionatley known as 'Crasher' and Hunt duly became 'the Shunt' and it could only happen in F1 that when the two tried to share the same piece of ground the tabloid headlines of the time were variations of... Hunt the shunt has smasher with crasher Brasher :D   :D   :D

Hakkinen could be named "The Quiet One" apart from the Finnish Flash or Flying Finn.  Meanwhile Mazzacane could be called "The Flying Mullet - who fly's slowly", and Coulthard the "Championship evading Scot"