Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichosnz

Bernies new Suggestion

Bernie is now suggesting that the top half of the grid (I assume he means by financial stength) could supply complete chassis and engine packages to the lower half.  Reducing the cost to the smaller teams by (he has suggested) up to 50%.  He states that even teams like Minardi build up to 5 developments of a car during a season, a huge expence.

The money a top team earns from selling packages could be used to test and develop their car, and therefore improving their customers car at the same time.

This would of course require a tweeking of the current regs as this behaviour is currently not permitted.

I liked the idea, definitely would even the field. But dont think many top teams are very keen on the idea. Another idea would of course be to go CART style and have two chassis choices for the teams and two/three engine choices (like the choice of tyre manufacturer for the F1 teams now) but it would ruin the idea of F1.

I really doubt teams like Ferrari, McLaren or Williams will go with this idea.

Why spend squaillions on a good designer when all the other teams get the benefit?

Unanimous aggrement by team bosses is needed for decisions like that, is it not.  So with Ferrari/McLaren/Williams likely objection it doesn't seem like a likely solution.  But then again I didn't think the 1 engine rule was going to pass.

Your right, but it could make for some interesting combinations especially if each customer team still worked out it's own engine contracts.  But not like the CART situation of only 2 or 3 engine choises.

CARTs advantage is just that, closer racing because of limited engine/chassis choice. But that just doesnt really play in with F1 you know? It wouldnt be right.