Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichosnz

What do we think of Overtaking in 2002?

What games do you play? I really liked the Command and Conquer series, havent really touched many other strategy games. C&C Red Alert 2 I play still, trying to beat the last few levels.

Sim City 2000, Age of Empires, Caesar III, Warcraft II, but my favourite is The Age of Kings. Hoping to buy Empire Earth when finances allow.

Spending hours building up a city then set a few disasters to annihilate hours of work in 15 minutes, just to build it up again. Great stuff.

My favourite is as I said earlier The Age of Kings. Cos you get to build up a city and go to war in the same game. And is founded in historical reality.

I liked the Command and Conquer: Red Alert series a lot, especially the first one as it was WW2 based. The World Wars fascinate me, its so fun to think of what actually could have happened had little choices not been made and so forth.

I have the demo version of Age of Kings, never got around to buying it though.

It is true, how an ad for a pc game really makes me want it. But I am careful, because several times have I bought a game and hated it thoroughly, so I usually get a demo or try at a friend's house first.

Haven't had much time to play games lately but I also normally like the strategy games (especially like Jens the C&C series). Problem is I'm very impatient so I normally always end up downloading the cheat manual from the net when I get stuck just so I can get on to see the next level B) .

I also used to enjoy GP2 as a racing game even though I sucked at it when I played it properly. I did have a great little program to modify my car in that game though. You could use it to adjust all sort of things like your engine power, grip level etc... It was then great fun driving a car with 1300+ HP and huge grip.. Put it this way - you could never lose..... :rolleyes:

P.S. Jens - I'm considering buying GP4 - is it worth the expense?

GP4 is worth the money, its a good game. It also has the fun little physics progarams available so you can race with 1300hp cars and have your tyres give such grip that every corner is almost flat out! :D

You can't be impatient with Stratigy games daz it doesn't work as well. I know none of the codes of The Age of Kings, and the only codes I know for Age of Empires are eye candy.

In fact cheats can make the game harder, for example in AOK an internet campaign called Ottoman Onslaught, is easy if you are very patient. People have posted comments saying "it is impossable, 'cos you need to build laser cars (which is a cheat), then then enemy convert the laser cars to their side" so the cheats have worked against you.

Oh no you need to be patient and careful with strategy games, really think what you put your money into. I have played the C&C games for ages, since 96 when the first one came out, and I always used to just build up tanks in a huge amount, and then send them to overrun the enemy. Turns out it takes much longer as you keep losing tanks while the enemy makes small attacks, so it is better to setup defense first etc.

In internet games, if its possible, the best way is to just have the troops you have at the start rush immediately to the enemy and take care of them while their getting started on a base.

ps. amazing how we got to this discussion from "What do we think of overtaking in 2002?" :D

Yes it is qiute funny. I have noticed it on a lot of topics but this is the most far removed.

Most combat strategy games I find are easier if you concentrate on defence first. And analise the best place to build defence making sure resourses are inside your boundaries.

Yip - amazing how far off the topic we have wondered :o .

Strategy games are great especially if you do spend the time to build up your defences, armies etc.. Like I said - my problem is not wanting to wait to see what the next level is..

The one game that I never did cheat was Red Alert and I really did enjoy it. Took me months to finally finish it though!!!

Resources are a problem in some levels if you use your money on the wrong stuff. The levels I really hated on Red Alert were the ones where you were inside the buildings with a few dogs and Tanya, and then the chemical plant. I hated them, took me ages to get through!!!

That is one of the things I like about The Age of Kings, you have 4 kinds of resourses and if are abundant in one you can trade or build farms to create more of what you need. But you still need to get at least that one.

It's great, I love castles. Hard to destroy, Can hold units inside, and Fires at all enemy with range making it hard for them to attack your base.

It is similar, but you have 18 civilizations to choose from with atributes based on history. And up to 8 'players' human or AI how many is up to you as is how many are ally and how many are foe.