Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichosnz

Sir Michael Schumacher

From ITV-F1

Michael Schumacher was knighted by the president of Italy in Rome on Tuesday.

The German was honoured by Carlo Azeglio Ciampi at the Quirinal Palace after winning his third consecutive world title for Ferrari.

Ferrari colleagues Jean Todt, Luca di Montezemolo and Piero Ferrari were also given honorary titles at the ceremony.

Team principal Todt was poignantly given the title

Does anyone share my view that this is taking it a bit too far? I dont know, it makes no sense to me, especially as Michael is German. Its quite like I am a huge Hakkinen fan, but the idea of havinga statue built for him was taking it a little over the top for me..

Yes and no Jens. People have been knighted for less, but people are usually honoured in this way after they have long finished acheiving what they have acheived.

I think it gives Michael a living/ongoing legend status. It is true that people have been knighted for less and I completely disagree with all of it. Getting knighted in historical context requires a lot more I think than the ability to be one of the best in F1 or other sports etc.

Well, the United States Constitution prohibits the granting of any kind of nobility, the only thing the government can hand out are things like the Purple Heart and other war medals, along with other civil things..

I dont fully disagree that Michael deserves the title, which also my opinion on Anthony Hopkins being knighted. It just sometimes doesn't make sense to me why celebrities, the people who live their life acting, singing, and driving receive these awards while others are out there doing the real work that keeps this world running.

Life is so unfair in many ways...

yea i agree with Jens, but Shumi is now a legend i guess you could give him some kinds of title.....

P.S the british sports give titles to the players who have reacher the height of the game!!! and have done the best possibly can...ex in cricket : Sir Garfield Sobbers (West Indies), Sir Don Bradman (Australia), Sir Gary Sobbers (West Indies), Sir Dave Kirsten (South Africa).......etc.....etc.....and Digo Maradona is already given or will be given the title of "sir" because he was the best ever football/soccer player!!!!!

so i guess shumi doesnt have to be guilty recieving the award because he deserved it....i think if Sena wud be alive he should have gooten it!!!!!

Most countries that have an honour system, the 'deserving recipiants' are chosen by people at the more desirable end of the social spectrum. So the better the economy the better off the rich are, and improving the economy seems to be a valid reason to award such accolades. Sports people who perform like MS has definatly improve the economy for (at least 1) country. So yet again it is all about money!

I think it is great that Italy is recognising the hard work that Ferrari and Michael have put in to really make Italy stand out from the crowd.

however, i agree that with Michael being german, it does seem a little odd. But then, maybe Michael is taking it with a grain of salt because he IS german and therefore means little to him?

I know that when Mick Jagger was knighted for his 'contribution to music', that many felt it should have been for 'his contribution to the world population' and certainly other Rolling Stone members were rather peeved.

But good on Michael and Ferrari for being recognised. I think they certainly deserved something, and if it's a knighthood then good on them.

Well, something, but being knighted?

I would say more like a nice Bernie award, or a Sports team of the Year or something like that, but making it knighthood is not in my opinion the correct thing to do, for anything except service to ones country through something more than being good at sports.

I say why not. MS has probably done more for Italy in the last five years than anybody else I can honestly think of. So give credit where credit is due I say... :D

In New Zealand we had a bloke, Peter Blake, get knighted for taking a hunk of silver from the Americans, in particular a Dennis Conner.

Hahhah, wow, thats quite something to get knighted for :D It is funny as in Finland people get recognized by the government for beating the Swedes in being-in-the-sauna-for-the-longest-period-of-time contests :D

He died though earlier this year, shot by pirates in the Amazon. I didn't even know there was still such thing as pirates!

Very few people seem to know that Schuey donates large bags of money, to set up hospitals in poor countries. He does`nt blow his own trumpet about it though. Maybe a knighthood for that would be more appropriate.

But hey, if the Italians wish to honour him. Good on them.

He`s certainly dragged Ferrari out of the dark.

Cheers Crash

PS. there are lots of pirate islands in the Philippines. Lots of folks have been kidnapped or killed over the years.

I agree Crash, the humanity issue would be a more appropriate reason to honour him, maybe in time the German people will knight him for that.

Pirates in the Philippines, really, I nearly moved there 10 years ago, I'm glad I didn't.

He's good and everything, but i reckon they could have atleast waited till he's finished his career. I think it's a bit early to dish out stuff like that to him.

F1-----to------modern day Pirates??????????

lol that is actually a pretty funny issue...i would love to see a modern day pirate...w/o gettin captured lol

wut does he have like a tinted glass instead of the eye patch or a huge..ppowerd boat insteaad of the people rowing.....they are all wannabes lol..they have no real pirate spirit...lol jk :D:lol::P