Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ferrari forever

What ever happenned to the F1 circuit in Qatar?

I heard about 5-6 years ago they were building an F1 curcuit in the country of Qatar. What ever happened? Why aren't they racing there? I emailed FIA and they emailed me back about something having to do with what's going in the middle east.

Nik

P S I heard the track is incredible but deserted, feel bad for the Arab who spent $40,000,000   :(

The news of this first appeared on the 16th of September, 1993! The same day that Michael Andretti announced his departure from Mclaren F1 to return to the US Indycar championship, Qatar announced its plans to build an F1 circuit and have a race in late 1995 or 1996. Didnt seem to happen, but here's the news article I got it from...

F1:- Michael Andretti is leaving the McLaren Formula One team to resume his career in Indy Car racing. The American has had a miserable season but ironically achieved his best result for McLaren when he was third at last weekend's Italian GP. He will be replaced by the team's test driver Mika Hakkinen for the final three races of the season. "This experience will enable him to be better prepared for next year and help him avoid the initial problems I encountered," he said.

The Gulf state of Qatar has made a $40 million bid to become the first country in the Middle East to host a Formula One Grand Prix. A FISA representatove visited Qatar earlier this week to inspect a proposed site for the circuit. FISA are now studying the plans and is expected to make a decision on the bid early next year. Qatar motor racing officials are confident of staging their first GP either towards the end of 1995 or in early 1996.

Source: http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/archive...3/augsep93.html

The track itself though never materialised. Political and financial problems kept it, along with many other proposed races in Beirut and Dubai from materialising. Here is a short article on the matter...

Middle Eastern motor racing

There has long been talk of races in the Middle East but the only major event was in Dubai in December 1981 when British businessman - Martin Hone, who later organized the Birmingham Superprix - organized a Grand Prixon a makeshift 1.6-mile track around the Hyatt Regency Hotel. There were five events and considerable appearance money meant that the turnout of VIPs was impressive. There was talk at the time of the track being extended but the Dubai GP never happened. The Arab world became more interested in rallying with the highly-successful Middle Eastern Rally Championship.

In 1995 there was a brief flurry of excitement in the region when it was announced that there were plans for a race to be held in Qatar. A year later Abu Dhabi announced that it had similar plans. Neither materialized.

By 1997 there was talk of a race in the war-shattered Lebanese capital Beirut in an effort to restore the international image which the city had enjoyed in the 1950s when it was one of the most glamorous spots in the Mediterranean. In August 1998 Lebanese businessman Georges Boutegy announced that he has signed a draft agreement with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone to hold a Grand Prix in Beirut in the year 2003 and that F1 Race Director Charlie Whiting had been to the Lebanon to inspect a proposed track. A few weeks later Prince Albert of Monaco, on a state visit to Beirut, announced that Monaco was willing to help in the organization of an event. The plan announced at the time was for a track to run through the downtown area - destroyed in the fighting - but being rebuilt by a company owned by the Lebanese Prime Minister Rafic Al-Hariri. This led to a dispute when another businessman called Khaled Altaki announced that he was going to build a new circuit close to the sea outside the city. Al-Hariri was replaced as Prime Minister and the new government announced that it was making major cutbacks. The Beirut GP has not been heard of since.

In 1999, however, Ecclestone visited both Dubai and Cairo to discuss races with the local authorities. The Egyptians were keen to discuss a Grand Prix in the desert, as a means of rebuilding the country's tourist industry which was virtually destroyed in November 1997 when Islamic extremists massacred 58 international tourists in Luxor. Dubai was also keen on promoting tourist trade, using tourism as a means of replacing lost revenue as oil reserves dwindled.

Bahrain has also shown some interest in F1 with the Emir and two members of his government visiting the 1999 Italian GP at Monza.

The possibility of a race in the Middle East is increasing. There is no shortage of money to pay for an event, the weather can be guaranteed and TV broadcasts would be on the right times zones for both Europe and Asia.

Well I'm not expecting a Middle-East GP, but am hoping for one, It wouldn't be on at midnight over here in NZ.