Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

igillman

Will Villeneuve take less money for a better team?

In his Teusday morning press conference at his Newtown bar/restaurant in Montreal, Villeneuve told reporters that while money is nice, winning is better, indicating that he might be prepared to take less money to facilitate his move to a more competitive team.

Do you think he will move?  If so, where do you think he will go, and how big a pay cut do you think he will have to take?

Before the season started, I would have asked what options does he have better than BAR:

Ferrari?  No, whilst he said in 98 or 99 he would like the opportunity to beat MS in the same car, he has since thought better of it.

McLaren?  No, too many publicity gigs.

Williams?  No, too many good drivers on the books.

Renault?  No, even more good drivers on the books.

But now it seems that based on results even Minardi would be an improvement.  IMO his best opportunity would be in a Toyota.  He will have to do the patience thing again (like with BAR), but it would get somewhere this time.

Toyota is a possibility depending on Heidfeld though. He may got there.

Williams would be a long shot, with Button already a choice and FW is not likely going to drop both Ralf and Juan. Renault could be a possibility I think, but unlikely with Button and Trulli there already. Mclaren could be there if DC get sent away and Mika doesn't return, but Wurz has been going great in testing. Never know...

Sorry Nichosnz,

Jacques would jump at the chance to go head to head with MS at Ferrari.  But we all know Ferrari's policy regarding MS (long-debated on other threads on this board), and JV would never be able to accept the 2nd driver role as Rubens has.  In fact, he has said as much in interviews this year.

Jacques wants to win, and I think that we'd be surprised at what conditions he would accept to be given the opportunity to win another championship.

On the other hand, I don't think he will jump teams to go from BAR to, say, Toyota or Renault unless it really looks like those teams will be contending.  While they seem to be more competitive than BAR right now, they are not Ferrari or even Williams or McLaren.

That's why I think there is a good chance that he will stay at BAR, especially if he sees some improvement from the Honda engine before the end of the season.  Steps are already in place to improve the chassis with Geoff Willis.

He has already apparently rejected McLarens offer a few years ago due to "commercial partners requirements".  So the "I think that we'd be surprised at what conditions he would accept to be given the opportunity to win another championship." doesn't work on me.

And yes he would probably love to go head to head with MS, but considering their respective recent form, it would be a major risk for JV to take.  Whilst a few years ago he may have, I'm not convinced he's ready to take that risk at the moment.

Villeneuve is against the team orders Ferrari imposes, meaning Ferrari would be unlikely to even ask him. And it is true, Villeneuve turned down a Mclaren drive a few years back when they offered it to him at the end of DC's contract. Mistake?

I am sure that Jacques is intelligent enough to realize the conditions that would have to exist for him to get a top ride, including salary adjustment, even though any of the top teams could afford him. I don't presume to know what he is willing to do on the commercial side of it either. He no doubt realizes that he's going to have to change his demands to get what he wants. Sure he is stubborn, but certainly not stupid.

I have read stories where Ron Dennis has said he would be willing to overlook a lot of things to have Jacques drive for him, and I think that would be great. Renault would be a second choice, Toyota third. (Ferrari and Williams being unavailable).

Yes but I think, and Bernies comments today prove that I'm not the only one to think like this.  I think, a few years ago Jacques used to be a racer, but now he is choosing money over success.  And whilst he may be "indicating" he may take a pay-cut, I don't think he will unless it is the only way to stay in the sport at all.

Yes he should he's not making enough of a difference in the car, that another driver couldn't manage, to justify it.