Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nichosnz

10 teams for now it looks

With the American team of Dan Gurney having been delayed, and Arrows don't look like anything will be sorted by the date of registration for the 2003 championship. Asiatech's arrival in 2004 looked like the best chance of 11 teams back in F1.

It is now officially not going to happen. It has just been made public that 7 days earlier Asiatech closed their doors for good. As recently as the Italian GP they were promising that they would appear, albeit a year later than first expected.

I never really took Asiatech's bid seriously. No shocker that they didn't get the funds, simply because their engines were not up to scratch so why would anyone want to invest in them?

The Gurney squad is still working on the whole thing, they just wont be joining the grid for 2003. Maybe 2004 or 2005 they say. Better to do it right than do it fast...

Arrows is a lost cause, we wont see them anymore. So as you say, 10 teams :(

If they can make it last with a 2004 debut that would be best, although...

I would rather see Gurney's team arrive in 2005 and stay for many years than arrive in 2004 and be gone by 2008, or arrive 2003 (definately not happening now) and be out at the end of 2004.

In 1969 the season average was less than 16 entrants per race, with the lowest being 13 at France. We are still a long way from there thank goodness.

Arrows have paid the registration fee for the 2003 F1 WC, and apparently they didn't wait until the last minute. This does not however guarentee they will be present, Prost paid 12 months ago... :( , or the FIA could refuse their registration based on the events of the 2002 season.

Actually, what I've been told is that Arrows submitted their entry, but were missing key parts such as provisional engine supplier, provisional drivers, and provisional main sponsor. They did not submit the

I did not KNOW about the provisionals, but guessed as such, but I was under the impression the 200k fee had been paid. I'll look at the wrap to see what you have to say Jens.

Of course it cant be confirmed by anyone but the FIA, and they are keeping their mouths shut. No word at all, they wont even acknowledge the question. It was frustrating trying to get them to talk, but sometimes they just dont say a thing!

Max has however said that he believes there will only be 20 cars on the grid in Melborne. He followed that statement up by saying not to assume that means Arrows will not show, it could be another team!!

Well, if another team has the possibility to now show, I sure as hell hope Arrows does! Anything less than 20 cars on the grid is too little.. I wonder what team that would be, Jordan? I cannot think that it is Minardi, as they have a big sponsor package from Russia now with Zlobin signed up.

Surely they wouldn't be so arrogant as to claim that if they hadn't. But the entry can be vetoed by the FIA, so maybe that is why they haven't responded. Considering the entry and whether to allow it.

I think considering that Arrows still have some court hearings to attend, along with other unconfirmed things (engines, drivers) that the FIA must be crazy to accept their entry. Even if they had the 200,000 paid..

The FIA couldn't refuse the entry if they (somehow) paid the 48mil though could they? I don't think the new investors would be willing to do that though, so it is a hypothetical question.

I guess the FIA has a dictatorial stand on it all, so I would say yes, they could refuse an entry even then. But I dont think they would, considering there is no better way to show financial stability than by dishing out that much money :D