Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TotalF1 Jens

107% rule remains

The 107% rule is still in the official F1 rule book, and so it remains for 2003. A driver must qualify within 107% of pole time, or if he is a bit too slow he may be allowed to race depending on his times from earlier sessions.

I'm just wondering how its gonna work, I mean, what if the first guy out is on a whole different strategy than the pole sitter, and has a ton of fuel aboard?

The 107% rule was workable, with special dispensation granted for incidents/track conditions, even with one run qualifing. But with the refueling ruling it makes no sense to retain it, or shold I say it makes no sense to bring in the refueling ruling.

Quick change of direction, now the FIA and Mosley are saying taht they will probably do away with it, and he is leaving the decision to the teams. How much says that the teams will vote 5-5? :D

I hope they do away with it, most drivers are going to get dispensation if they fail to qualify now, so it just removes the need to apply, present arguements, and await the response. It would be much tidier. But I think you are right Jens. Split decision.

Read a report here today that says the 107% rule will definitely not apply. Don't know how true it is but I'm hoping that its correct.

There's only a week to go anymore and I think with all these unclear rules, there is going to be a good deal of confusion surrounding the paddock at Melbourne. Someone will end up getting it wrong I'm sure, for some reason I predict that it will be Ralf.. dunno why :D

Yes Jens just over 1 week and 2 hours from this post until the first Friday qualifing session begins. I think Ralf is a safe bet for first stuff up. Oh and any news yet on the PPP.

Yup we've got the Fantasy F1 this year, definitely worth a shot, because had daz scored as well in this as he did in PPP last year, he would've been in for quite a nice prize!

I for one am going to sign up ASAP, that grand prize to the 2004 Australian GP is just too good!

:rolleyes::blink::unsure:

So, does, the 107% rule still apply ? I'm too lazy to trawl the Internet looking for answers at this time of day :) I never thought we'd even have to think about that rule once Yoong left :D

I'm pretty sure the teams have agreed to get rid of it, it wouldn't make sense anyway as Mosley pointed out, it is a fix for many imminent problems in advance (rain is already forecasted for Saturday, meaning we could be in for something quite interesting...)