Clicky

Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

busami

Kimi Says That Mp4-21 Is A Competitive Car

Recommended Posts

The first race in Bahrain has finally given us all an idea where the cars are now standing in relation to each other in terms of performance. Kimi had to start from last following a problem with his suspension during qualifying, but still drove a good race to finish third.

"My race in Bahrain showed that the MP4-21 is a competitive car, despite the heavy fuel load I had for most of the race compared to the cars around me, it was quick. I now want to get back on track in Malaysia and have a better qualifying session, so that I can improve on my finishing position in Bahrain. Sepang is a track that sees car set-up compromised between efficiency at high speeds, for areas such as the start and final straights where we reach full throttle, and good grip for the slower corners, such as the complex at turns one, 14 and 15. Parts of the track are great to drive, such as the S complex and you need to really push through here to get a good lap time."

A grand prix weekend is a physical battle for a driver, and usually races are fixed within two weeks of each other. The opening rounds of the season are an exception, and are held in immediate succession. The drivers have now got to physically and mentally prepare for the next race almost immediately. The Sepang GP is notorious for its heat, and will take its toll on engine and driver alike.

"After Bahrain, I have been spending a few days relaxing and doing my fitness training in hot conditions. I will also focus on getting used to taking on a lot of fluid to replace what is lost through sweat. Dehydration affects concentration levels, muscle strength and endurance, and so I have been working with my trainer to avoid this. We also have to make modifications to the cars to cope with the heat, for example there will be larger air cooling intakes on MP4-21 for this race."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...