Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

busami

'Kimi Won't Be Rushed Into Making A Decision'

Although the media furore surrounding Kimi Raikkonen's future continues to grow, his manager Steven Robertson says the Finn won't be rushed into deciding who he'll drive for in 2007.

Raikkonen's current McLaren deal expires at the end of this season and although the Woking team are keen to hold on to him, he has been linked to moves to Ferrari, Toyota and more recently Renault.

And a few more names may be added to that list before the 2005 runner-up finally signs on the dotted line.

"Kimi is under no pressure," Robertson told The Guardian newspaper.

"He doesn't need to be hurried into any decision.

"We will evaluate all his options very carefully and ultimately he will make the decision."

That, though, doesn't mean people will stop offering him advice with double World Champion Mika Hakkinen urging him to stick with McLaren as he believes his own career with the Woking squad proves that patience does pay off in the end.

"When I was a test driver in 1993, Ron said to me 'Mika, you are going to race this year'," Hakkinen told Reuters when asked what he believes his compatriot should do.

"I said 'Yes, but I am a test driver.' He kept his promise and I said 'Hey, I can trust this man.'

"In 1994 we continued racing and Ron said 'We are going to do it together, we are going to win a World Championship together. It will take time but we are going to do it.'

"And we did it. So I suppose that answers a bit the question. That was my decision and I did the right thing.

"In my career I had a lot of offers from loads of different teams, naturally, but what I did was the right thing.

"I was committed and confident that the McLaren team would do it. And we did it.

"What Kimi should do, that is for him to decide.

"I don't see why the team cannot do it again, it's just going to take some time.

"It's been close many times and I think if you look at the performance of these couple of races they have been okay."