Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan

Arrows need a name change

After watching the way and inferior driver used his slower car and poorer driving skills to bottleneck a better car and driver I am disgusted that Bernoldi should feel good about the Monaco race. It was apparent as soon as Bernoldi pitted that DC was able to outperform the slower car and driver. So why didn't the Arrows management or the race officials flag him aside? It could have been a much more exciting race with DC in the place he earned in the qualifying laps.  Admittedly they were both on the same lap , but if it had been any other race track, it is undeniable that DC would have outmanouvered him well before the 40 laps he had to endure behind Bernoldi. Where was the sportsmanship this event is famous for? What did Bernoldi gain from "plugging up" one of the best drivers in the current champoinship?  Perhaps the Arrows have earned a name change - I could suggest the Plugs? or Bottlenecks? I saw no evidence of an Arrow yesterday, just a small minded wannabe who sought a moments glory by holding back a better sportsman.

Hi Susan

Welcome to the forum. :)

It was a very wierd situation and it really proved just how impossible it is to overtake at monaco.  I knew it was hard, but I didnt think it was [bold]THAT[/bold] hard.

I myself am in two minds over the situation.  DC and Bernoldi were on the same lap, fighting for position so in that respect he was within his right to 'slug' it out and make his arrows very wide.  On the other hand, DC was in a place he really shouldnt have been and it probably would have been a great sporting gesture if he pulled over and let DC past.  Sure, he could have held him up for a few laps to increase his worth and show he is capable of dueling with the worlds best, but he over did it and probly decreased his worht with other teams.

I really think the order came from Arrows as the amount of airtime their sponsors got would have been worth the agro it caused.

just my 2 cents.

jagman

Hi Susan

Good to see a new member starting with a bang!

Jaggy I also am in two minds.

Bernoldi was legally entitled to do what he did & it certainly got lots of tv time for arrows, something they normally only get for a few seconds when they retire.

On the other hand dc was driving a potentially faster car & maybe the rules could be changed to do the three blue flag thing if the baulked car's qualifying time was, say 103% of the baulker.

That way it would not be affirmative action for high profile drivers but simple mathermatics.

I wouldn't say F1 is famous for its sportsmanship. The drivers & teams too for that matter, are very professional & want to maximise their results & earning potential so extra air time is invaluable especially for a struggling team like arrows.

I'm not saying that it's right, just a fact of life like team orders.

As for a name change, how about Hay-bale: Right colour, gets in the way of a fast lap, totally insensitive & prickly on the outside.

I take the cynical view point myself - Arrows are the most pointedly money-grabbing team in the pit lane, and Monaco was one long publicity stunt for them...

That was also racing...Should Bernoldi just let him pass. What if others would have gone out of the race and suddenly Bernoldi and Coulthard would be fighting for points..Different story? I don't think so. It showed that Coulthard isn't that good...Verstappen overtook about 5 cars..why couldn't DC do that driving in a much faster car????

this is 4 sirhenry,

hey buddy do u know what it takes to drive an F1 car?

this bloody moncao circuit is nothing short of a procession. so in this if u expected an overtaking manoevure from a faster driver over a deliberately blocking car, then i say get your facts straight.

dc must've had to swallow his anger and play the waiting game for that bernoldi bugger 2 get outta his way. and then you saw what happened.

to even drive this car is a handful by itself and that 2 when someone is bugging u this way...i 'd say that you'd rather appreciate dc's patience.

P.S: if it were schumy or irvine i think they'd hv no qualms in banging that arrow.

probably arrows should be named the Blocking Heads