Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

Sports Car Racing Thread

John Hindhaugh talking about how 2:45 was chosen as the ALMS length for the TV window...he forgot Dr. Don Panoz got cheap and now only buys 2 hours, so even those don't fit. :P

Audi's getting better fuel mileage than the Toyota, which isn't a surprise given Audi have a diesel. Looks like the Toyota has a lot of speed, though, and I'm confident that by 2013 Le Mans, it'll be really fun.

Good to hear WEC is looking to expand the calendar. I think Brazil moving to the first round confirms Sebring isn't part of it, which is better for both series. The WEC and the ALMS are just different animals and there were too many cars there this year.

Seems like it's exactly that - I've been busy working on other things so far, so only just tuning back in now. Surprising that Audi can seemingly go much further than the Toyota given there was only one lap between them at Le Mans.

If Toyota want to win this race, they'll have to do it on track, and not through pit strategy, it seems.

Well, 1 lap at Le Mans is about 2.3 laps here. :P

I think that's part of what makes it such an exciting challenge for Toyota. Toyota can keep improving, but Audi won't be static. They know that you have to be better than your last race, even if you won the last one. Toyota have to improve, but they have to improve faster than Audi, or in different areas than Audi. That's one of the coolest parts about non-spec racing, to me: watching the teams figure out where they want their strengths and weaknesses to be, and see the chases of teams like Peugeot and Toyota drive Audi to an even higher standard. I can't imagine how Audi will respond to having Toyota, Porsche, HPD, etc. in 2014, because I bet they'll really bring something great that year.

Hmm...Toyota pits now. I don't think they're going to make up enough in speed to beat Audi, but there's a lot left to go and tons of things can happen. But it looks like their fuel economy is just bad enough...they're on a pace of about 32 laps per hour...so they have about 80 laps to go in the race (I don't know if there's been a safety car or anything weird impacting pace so this math could suck)...if they can only get 23 laps per fuel run, they'd have three more stops in this race...and I assume they'd be the car to pit last, after the Audi's final stop, which would imply the Audi leads at the end...unless the Toyota leading and the Audi in second is the "normal" running order? I guess my question is: will the Audi pit last, or will the Toyota pit last, if they continue on the way they've been?

Alright, the commentary got me my answer...Audi does 28 laps, Toyota does 23 laps.

How many laps before the Toyota did Audi pit? If Audi pitted about five laps before the Toyota, Audi might stretch it to the end on two stops but they'd be about one lap short. If Audi pitted more than five laps before the Toyota, they, too, need to do three stops, too.

And now someone on Twitter, read on the broadcast, says the same number of stops so it sounds like it will be three stops but a shorter final stop for the Audi as they'll need less fuel. This might be closer than I originally expected.

I think there has been one safety car in this race, but I'm not entirely sure for what on the basis I haven't been following it the full way through.

Apparently there was a huge cheer from the crowd when Toyota took the lead at the start...not sure I can blame them! Go Toyota go! :P

I think there has been one safety car in this race, but I'm not entirely sure for what on the basis I haven't been following it the full way through.

Apparently there was a huge cheer from the crowd when Toyota took the lead at the start...not sure I can blame them! Go Toyota go! tongue.png

Alright, thanks. Sounds like three stops for each is the most probably scenario.

It'd be cool to see Toyota get a win this early in their LMP1 return. I just want everyone to do what they need to do for it to be super close at the end, best car/driver wins.

Hindhaugh just said Wally Dallenbach...I must have missed something because I'm fairly confident he's not in Silverstone today. :lol:

Great battle with Pecom and Greaves for some position somewhere in LMP2 (12 and 13 overall).

Question for James: what tires do Rebellion use?

Ah, okay, they just show it: Michelin.

I find that interesting. There's a theory in the ALMS paddock that the Dyson B12/60 would be a lot more competitive with the ARX-03a if they, like Muscle Milk, used Michelins. Dyson currently use Dunlops and a lot of people find that tire to be very inferior and the main reason Dyson haven't been competitive this year. The Rebellion Lola looks to be a lot more competitive than the Dyson Lola and I'm sure there are many factors with drivers, personnel, the engine, but I wonder if the tires are also part of that. They get more from this chassis than Dyson do.

Funny thing is, I've heard that said about the Dunlop tyres before. Just on the buld up to this race actually, RLM were going through the classes, and they got talking about the JMW Ferrari and how that in the past has been uncompetitive just because of the Dunlop tyres instead of the Michelins other 458 teams, particularly AF Corse, use.

But then they can't do much about it seeing as their main sponsor is Dunlop.

And it doesn't seem to be making much difference right now as they're third in class.

Oh, and I guess it is hard to ignore the rather empty looking grand stands.

Just read that is simply because most of them are closed off, for some reason. The grand stands are Becketts, Stowe and the national pit straight are closed.

Weird.

Alright...working now. Here we go.

Toyota in. Not sure how Toyota is going to win this one...but I've been away the last hour.

Looks like LMP2 might be fairly close. Hard to tell because the feed's focused on Audi/Toyota the entire time (which is fine), but it looks like a lot of the lead cars are on the same lap.

Pit stops are over: Audi #1, Toyota #7, Audi #2. It all comes down to this now. Wurz has about 11 seconds on third place; he'll need weird circumstances to get to first.

Wurz is pulling away from Kristensen, so I'd expect things to stay as they are, but obviously abnormal things happen all the time in racing.

Wow!

Audi made 7 stops, while Rebellion made 6, and Audi still spent less time on pit road! 7:11 for Audi over 7 stops, 7:19 for Rebellion over 6. That's impressive.

A little frustrating to hear about the LMGTE-Pro and LMP1 battles deeper in the field...I've watched 2 hours of this race and I've seen a total of five cars all race. I don't want to complain but...nothing's happening with Audi and Toyota right now, so...