Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecapdeville

Please, explain me the new rules !

Ohhhh, this has been a kicker lately, aerodynamics. The new rules, as always, are just slight trimmings to slow the cars down. The extended engine cover lessens downforce as it unsettles air heading towards the rear wing, but the larger endplates on the rear wing are meant for something of the opposite purpose. To improve overtaking capabilities, the endplates have been made longer as they settle the air exiting the rear wing so it isn't as turbulent, allowing a better slipstream and less loss of downforce for a car following closely behind = good overtaking.

Good technical chanes, actually, except the larger engine cover looks odd at first sight. I don't even notice it anymore, got used to it :)

Oh, welcome aboard! :)

new rules to slow the cars down !!! ummmmmmmmmm seems I have heard that many times before Jens.. Like grooved tyres, that'l make em go slower.. WRONG.. etc etc etc Remember the days of the sliding skirts ? they got rid of them to slow the cars down .. didn't work either

Why dont they make a rule to use only TRABANT engines in F1.. that's guaranteed to slow things down LOL all tongue in cheek here but really it makes no difference what rule is implemented the engineers wil get over it somehow .. am I correct in saying that ??

new rules to slow the cars down !!!  ummmmmmmmmm  seems I have heard that many times before Jens..  Like grooved tyres, that'l make em go slower.. WRONG.. etc etc etc  Remember the days of the sliding skirts ?  they got rid of them to slow the cars down .. didn't work either

Why dont they make a rule to use only TRABANT engines  in F1.. that's guaranteed to slow things down  LOL  all tongue in cheek here but really it makes no difference what rule is implemented the engineers wil get over it somehow  ..  am I correct in saying that ??

Yep, it seems that no matter what they do to slow down the cars, they will be just as fast or faster by middle of the season.

Technically the new rear wing rule doesn't slow the cars down, it just allows for cleaner air behind the car, which allows for a better slipstream...

All the rule changes in the last 10 years+ have done, is increase the lap time difference between the top and bottom teams. With periods of stability closing that difference. But at no time in this process does the order change too much, 'the top teams' are still at the top, the (non-top) 'teams with the money' still have fluctuating fortunes, and 'the rest' are still scattered amongst the 'teams with the money'.