Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Angellica

Johnny Herbert

Given the threads on various drivers and looking back at their careers, I hope it's okay for me to start one, I always had something of a soft spot for Johnny Herbert. He always seemed like a thoroughly lovely bloke to me and he had the worst luck going as well.

I do recall his win at The European race in 1999, that was a hell of a race and we all know he only got it because so many of the front runners slid off the track in the rain. However, as dear old Murray used to say, in order to finish first, first you have to finish, and that day Herbert kept the Stewart on the track and pointing in the right direction well enough to take the win. I was really pleased for him when he took that win, it was very well deserved in difficult conditions.

He suffered a lot due to his ankle injury from earlier in his career and I remember him being stretchered off after one heavy crash as well which is never nice to see.

So yeah, on the whole a good rather than great driver who was always friendly and nice when being interviewed with a cheeky smile, and one who I remember fondly.

Couldn't agree more angelica, what you saw is what you got, just genuine all round good bloke, drove well for Benetton in 95 but seemed to just feather of once he got to sauber, I mean the cars wernt the best and neither was his luck like you mentioned. The Mark Webber of the 90s

Plus I also remember that bizarre retirement at monza in 98 when he went hurtling through the gravel trap backwards due to a spanner or shifter stuck under his pedal.

I only started watching f1 in 1998 but I know Herbert was a very promising youngster who then had a terrible accident.

Being schumacher's team-mate is never going to make anyone look good but he was certainly in the right place at the right time when Hill & Schumacher felt like crashing into each other.

That '99 European GP is unforgettable. Yes other cars failed, DC slid off, Fisi slid off, Ralf's tyre blew (all whilst leading), Irvine had the wrong tyres, but as you rightly point out Angelica, Johnny kept his head, made all the right choices throughout the races, and was there to take the victory. Overall though in '99 he was thoroughly overshadowed by Barrichello, I think he even got lapped by him in one race that year.

2000 at Jaguar was just dismal, the car wasn't great but Irvine was better.

I've seen the phrase 'cheeky chappie' used several times about Herbert, and he's still like that now as a pundit on Sky TV. Lovely guy!

Yes he is and knows how to explain it all to us at home and keeps you listening and entertained. I remeber when he was being interviewd at Benetton I think and one of his mechanics through something at his head while he was talking, being a cheeky bugger. Johnny joined in and laughed it of.