Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BrisbaneAndy

Stuart Broad

Australians are very upset about this.

This is something our bowlers have been trying to achieve for years and failed miserably.

http://www.bbc.com/s...ricket/28724788

I am sure Broady would love to do it to every Aussie batsman that came his way. Of course, your whole team 'walk' don't they? Yeah, right.

No, they do not. Did I say they did?

Absolutely not. The Ashes is not a 'gentleman's' event, it is a gladiatorial spectacle. Nothing to do with the game I grew up with. In fact, Sri Lanka took it to an all time low here this Summer when a spin bowler removed the bails during his delivery stride and ran the non-striking English batter out - on purpose. What Broad did is indefensible to me but it wasn't to his coaches and management and thereby hangs a tale.

Oh dear, a light hearted attempt at a joke leads to an over-reaction once again.

For the record, we do not mind Broad at all, our bowlers want to knock every batsman's head off and that is how it should be.

Whipping the bails off at the non-striker's end when he is out of his crease is as old as cricket and if cricket is no longer gentlemanly enough, blame Douglas Jardine.

Oh dear, a light hearted attempt at a joke leads to an over-reaction once again.

For the record, we do not mind Broad at all, our bowlers want to knock every batsman's head off and that is how it should be.

Whipping the bails off at the non-striker's end when he is out of his crease is as old as cricket and if cricket is no longer gentlemanly enough, blame Douglas Jardine.

I really don't think I overreacted - did I? Maybe I should have mentioned that the Sri Lanka game was a T20 affair. Jardine was a d#ck but I love a bit of sledging.

I thought you went off like Saturday night in Beirut, but never mind.

Sledging, Australia invented that. Mervin Hughes to Robin Smith, I'll bowl you a piano in a minute, see if you can play that.

McGrath could sledge like a champion, but he could not take it.

"Oi, Brandes, why the hell are you so fat?" Brandes replied "Cos every time I f**k your wife she gives me a biscuit". McGrath got very upset.

McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: “So what does Brian Lara’s d#ck taste like?

”Sarwan: “I don’t know. Ask your wife. McGrath : “If you ever F**king mention my wife again, I’ll F**king rip your F**ing throat out.”

That was unfortunate, Kim McGrath was ill with breast cancer and later died.

Great stuff. I know you Aussies prefer snappy one-liners but sometimes I get into a paragraph or two. Sorry about that.

No worries, I am a bit verbose, myself, at times.

For the record, in an Ashes test, Hughes told Smith he could not ****ing bat. Smith belted Hughes after that comment, walked up to the big fella and said something like this: "We make a fine pair, don't we Merv, Ah can't ****ing bat and tha can't ****ing bowl."

Big Merv against Richards, attempting to stare him down. "This is my island, my culture. Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl." Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman: "In my culture we just say f*** off."

I saw Merv at the Brisbane Club doing his public speaking thing. After 45 minutes my face ached.

Also Dean Jones, no grudge against Border and Simpson. Captain Grumpy and Mr Potato Head. Not much love lost there, a fine career cut short by personality differences.