Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2//horns

Zero Keel

G'day people. This is my first post and therefore I thought why not use the oppurtunity to learn more towards the technical aspects of formula 1. A fan of team Sauber and a love for BMW motors (McLaren F1 Road Car) the perfect relationship came together, for me anyway. Whilst following the progress of the team I read a technical article on the site in which they referred to and mentioned the use of Zero Keel. Could someone please explain what Zero Keel is? I know it has something to do with suspension and its components.

Cheers

Zero keel is when the bottom half of the front suspension are mounted to the nose of the monocoque, instead of a shaft beneath it. Look at pics of a car from 1992 or 1993, they were all zero keel. Cars from 2000 were all single keel, so look at where the bottom wishbones meet with the chassis.

G'day people. This is my first post and therefore I thought why not use the oppurtunity to learn more towards the technical aspects of formula 1...

Welcome to the forum!

The aim of the BMW.Sauber was to maximise aerodynamic efficiency, like all teams in the paddock. In an article they made it clear that to achieve so the use of the Zero Keel design was implemented into the car.

My question however is what are the positives and negatives of running a Zero Keel system, apart from aerodynamic efficeny?

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your question, I think with zero keel, that although it is a major help in terms of aero grip, it comes at the cost of mechanical grip.