Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Another Hamilton Thread...

commentary from pitpass.com

Those who were present at Silverstone at the weekend, and indeed anyone who saw the two British GP2 rounds, particularly Sunday's, are (quite rightly) waxing lyrical over some of the overtaking manoeuvres executed by Lewis Hamilton, in particular the three-abreast move at Becketts.

These moves, combined with previous performances are gradually winning over more and more races fans, convinced that the Englishman is the next 'big thing'. Sadly there is one thing that we should all remember, Formula One, as we currently know it, will merely stifle what is clearly an outrageous talent.

There are plenty of great racers in Formula One at present, racers in the truest sense of the word, men capable of breathtaking manoeuvres, men not afraid to 'mix it'. Sadly, aerodynamics, tyres, the points system, strategy, just about everything else that contemporary F1 is about, means that we rarely get to see their true talents, their raw skills.

Once in a while, such as in Japan last season, or when a driver finds himself at the wrong end of the grid - Schumacher - we get to see what F1 should really be about, but it is all too rare.

Make the most of Hamilton's audacious talent whilst he is in GP2, for such moves will be a rarity once he progresses up the ladder, and that will have little to do with the youngster in the c#ckpit, who clearly enjoys racing.

I could not agree more. Here's hoping the 2008 regulations will let spectacular talents like Hamilton shine...

I was at silverstone and the GP2 race was a hell of a lot more entertaining than the F1. I'm reluctant to call Hamilton the next big thing because a few years ago everyone called Liuzzi the next mega superstar and now look

I was at silverstone and the GP2 race was a hell of a lot more entertaining than the F1. I'm reluctant to call Hamilton the next big thing because a few years ago everyone called Liuzzi the next mega superstar and now look

Do you think, like the commentary suggests, that F1 doesn't showcase a driver's talent very well? Perhaps Liuzzi is an incredible driver, but we just aren't seeing it because of the wacky rules we now have in F1... :eusa_think:

Certainly Pantano looked good in Silverstone, but in F1 he just vanished...

F1 is awful at showcasing talent. The article forgets the main reason which is that the cars are all so different.

F1 is awful at showcasing talent. The article forgets the main reason which is that the cars are all so different.

It actually addresses it, in a rather general fashion:

"Sadly, aerodynamics, tyres, the points system, strategy, just about everything else that contemporary F1 is about, means that we rarely get to see their true talents, their raw skills."

I agree about the aerodynamics, the cars are too easy to drive. Driver aids are a big factor as well, once those are gone it will be easier to judge talent and there will be more driver errors and more car control

It actually addresses it, in a rather general fashion:

"Sadly, aerodynamics, tyres, the points system, strategy, just about everything else that contemporary F1 is about, means that we rarely get to see their true talents, their raw skills."

:) I think you might be being a bit generous to the author there puma! I don't see where they talk about the inequality between cars. If all the cars were the same, lets give everyone a Renault say, then they'd be able to show their talents much better than they can now, regardless of whether the aerodynamics etc were changed. Certainly the changes they do suggest would make the show more exciting and perhaps more impressive to the casual fan but what could show real talent better than Alonso and Kimi demonstrating how much better they are in equal cars?

:)I think you might be being a bit generous to the author there puma! I don't see where they talk about the inequality between cars. If all the cars were the same, lets give everyone a Renault say, then they'd be able to show their talents much better than they can now, regardless of whether the aerodynamics etc were changed. Certainly the changes they do suggest would make the show more exciting and perhaps more impressive to the casual fan but what could show real talent better than Alonso and Kimi demonstrating how much better they are in equal cars?

Perhaps I read what I wanted to see! Anyway, I agree with you. I'm hoping that Alonso and Kimi find themselves as teammates so we can put paid to the debate over who is better than whom.

:wtf: One Hamilton thread is enough!