Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chaide

What About Mansell?

Well true, the thread is active again. I remember seeing Nigel Mansell in champcar when he came here to surfers paradise when I was a kid, it was the same year I sat in Emerson Fittipaldi's Marlboro Penske car. I been to almost every surfers paradise champ car race but yet to see an f1 race. I only live 10 mins away from surfers paradise so I think that's the main reason, plus I have two kids and a partner so it's real expensive in flights,tickets and accommodation to fly to Melbourne.

Just found out BBC aren't showing the australian gp live, so at least I guess that prevents me from having to get up early...

One category which really didn't work out was his foray into touring cars in 1998. To be fair the ford mondeo was pretty awful that year.

Yeah and he had that massive accident at donington I Beleive. Just totally wrote of the car. That's after trying to come back to f1 but couldn't fit into the 95 Mclaren. I've always lived the British touring cars, way more entertaining than our Aussie v8s. I remember getting some races on our local tv years ago, right at the time Alain Menu and Jason Plato were dominating in the Renault Laguna's.

Those were the good old days. the 'supertouring' era. Primera v Mondeo v Vectra v S40 v Laguna v A4 v Accord v 206, all 2 litre saloons.

The BTCC still exists but its following is pretty minimal now compared to 15 years ago. TOCA & TOCA 2 were massive games for the ps1 here in UK, used to spend hours on those!

Oh same here, I had both of those games and spent ages on them also. Also loved f197, got all the codemasters ones on ps3 also from 2010-2014. Love them all but if the could make a good looking game with the same realism that Geoff Cramond made the with GP series. GP2 was way ahead of its time and still is the most realistic f1 game ever.

I think Nigel was the last F! champ not to come from the usual crop of "wealthy relatives, famous surname or early corporate sponsorship" . He slugged his way to the top.

in truth, I feel he enjoyed the climb, rather than the view. So no need for legacy. He made it, and that was enough for him.

He also done it in what would have been the most competitive era in formula one IMO.