Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Marco Again?!!?

from itv-f1.com

Former world champion Mario Andretti says his grandson Marco could be ready to make the switch from IndyCars to Formula 1 as soon as 2008.

Marco, who came close to winning the Indianapolis 500 at his first attempt in May, would become the third generation of Andrettis to race in F1 after his father Michael (for McLaren in 1993) and Mario, whose career spanned 14 years and included the 1978 world title.

One thing Mario doesn't seem to understand, however, is that Marco needs to run in GP2, not IRL. Ask Wheldon how good IRL is for getting an F1 seat. Indeed, ask Bourdais how well ChampCar is. Alot has changed in that series since Montoya and DaMatta.

Marco needs to be in GP2. Are you reading this, Mario? :D

indeed as JV sarcasticly said that F1 teams would rather hire a moto gp driver than one racing in ovals

indeed as JV sarcasticly said that F1 teams would rather hire a moto gp driver than one racing in ovals

Not only that, but ChampCar, which is mostly a road-racing series, is not really a stepping-stone to F1. I don't believe any American series is looked upon as a proper stepping stone*. Likewise, the Japanese series aren't very credible either. Formula 1 is primarily an European sport and as such, a wise driver looking to get into it should race the proper European feeder series.

*I would say JV was the only exception to that. He was the only one to race in purely North American series and make the step up to Formula 1. Michael Andretti did it, but could hardly be called a success. JPM and DaMatta participated in European series, so they don't really count; CART was just them biding their time. Mario Andretti was like JV, but CART and F1 of the 70's were very similar, so he doesn't count...

Don't overlook young Rahal as a future F1 participant..................Bobby is very smart in mapping Grahams future............

Don't overlook young Rahal as a future F1 participant..................Bobby is very smart in mapping Grahams future............

I agree.

I think perhaps Bobby is more in tune with how to get Graham into F1 than Mario is for Marco. Mario seems to think it's still the '70's and that American series are viable as a stepping-stone (I think so, but the Europeans in F1 do not...). At least Bobby has put Graham into the international stage in A1GP (where I think he did a decent job for Lebanon...better than Giebler for USA...).

What do you think the chances of getting Graham a testing gig with RBR (I assume Newey and Bobby are still great friends...)?