Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webber

Budget cap

does F1 need a budget cap and if so at what amount  

1. 1. does F1 need a budget cap and if so at what amount

• no
    • yes at $100 million
    • yea at $200 million
    • yea at $300 million or above
    • yes less than $100 million

i think that the Budget cap will work and so does richard Parry-jones. i think it is a brilent idea it has worked in NRL and gayFL here in Australia.

but the Budget cap will have to be set at somthing like 150 or 200 Million. this is still way more that Minardi and Jordan run on puy together

hehgayFL, I presume you mean AFL where many teams have been busted for going over the cap and some newer teams are allowed more than the cap to establish themselves. (like Brisbane that has won the last three premierships!)

That is salary cap only, I am not sure how a budget cap could be policed, how easy would it be to fudge some figures or get suppliers to do cash jobs. :shock:

i tried to start a thread on this earlier. if spending's such a problem then why not have a salary or budget cap, but it would just be way too hard to police.

you'd need something like the formula one securities and investments commission to police it. it would be way too hard. you just know toyota would be the first to use dodgy tricks :P :wink: and then it'd be a free-for-all.

it would definitely control driver salaries tho and straight away schuey would have to take a pay cut to stay in the game..

one problem would be that development would be hampered. all the big teams with huge existing facilities would have a clear advantage because it would be hard to put aside money for development with a budget cap.

man, there's hundreds of reasons why it won't work cos you'd have to make it so complex and specific to satisfy all parties involved.

Being an Italian myself , i know many things can be done under the counter if you know the right people and if you know what i mean .

What would it take for any team to get their people to design a new engine , gear box etc , spend an absolute packet on it and get the company making it to write a cheap figure on the invoice and pay the rest cash , it would go something like this .... " We found a company that can make us motors for a quater of the price cause their sort of related down the track and their giving us a discount cause our cousin married the mechanics daughters third cousin "

The only way that it could be governed is if all parts came out of the Formula 1 organising body , teams approach them with the parts they need and they make them up for the teams .

Could you imagine the issues if the parts broke down during the race .

It wont work as it cant be governed .

Thereis no way it can be policed, the art of hiding money has been one of the primary jobs of bean counters for thousands of years. Lot's of experiance to call on.

i'd just like to say it has worked wonders in the NRL with penrith winning laast year being the greatest moment on earth since 91 :wink:

gayfl....it doesn't work so well in my opinion the same teams always win..i mean the last like 5 years its been a different winner in NRL and in the gayfl brisbane and essendon have won the last 5 i think. collingwood made the GF twice....so it really depends on the sport and how its works more then if it works for one it will work for all.

there should be a cap on how much drivers are paid i think. thats atleast a start.

Being an Italian myself , i know many things can be done under the counter if you know the right people and if you know what i mean .

:lol: Yeah, I know what you mean!! A salary cap will never work in F1 as, like TC they won't be able to manage it thus everyone will suspect everyone else of cheating and we could have a situation like the AFL where concessions are given to teams who don't need it!!

shaun

If there was a wat that it could be governed, the big teams would never agree to it as a whole. Ferrari has a budget of what? $600M? If the cap was to be at $200M, what would happen to the other 400. What do you reckon about a cap per car? Say 100m per car.

With Ferraris 600m that could let them in with 6 cars. of which only the top 2, maybe 3, finishers will be allocated championship points.

the only problems I can see is the logistics of transporting thatn many cars, and the top teams would almost always have at least two cars finish, making it impossible for the middle and lower ranked teams.

Boftolod almost had it. You will never be able to police a budget cap.

How about this. Every time you win a world championship, you have to field an extra car the next year. Ferrari would be trying to run 7 cars on their current budget. That would sort them out.

You can't get them to spend less, but you can get them to build more. Sooner or later the budget per car will even out.

Ferrari has a budget of what? $600M?

eek! 600m?? i think you're wrong the re mate. are you sure the race team's budget is that much? i thought it was USD300m max.

if not, i can hear the fiat shareholders now. "mamma mia!"

May be a slight exageration! but I am sure that it is an exorborant amount.

Climber49's idea is also am interesting one. Would that be total championships or just in a row? Also what would happen with the Benneton situation not too long ago? They won a few then re-named the team, would that mean that the new Renault would have to feild that many cars, or would they revert to the original 2?

Ferrari has a budget of what? $600M?

eek! 600m?? i think you're wrong the re mate. are you sure the race team's budget is that much? i thought it was USD300m max.

if not, i can hear the fiat shareholders now. "mamma mia!"

yea its like $600 million and $50 million of that goes to M$

well actually, according to F1 Racing Magazine, last year march Issue, AU$441m. compared with AU$2.14B for the entire grid.

and the funy thing is that the .14 is what Minardi gives to that.

aaaaaaahhhh u got to love MInardi thay do so good for so little money

The 0.14 is still AU$140M. Minardi is still no-where near this! Maybe they would be if I could raise an extra spare AU$100M, as a donation. Currently, they are about 40, less than one tenth of Ferrari.

The 0.14 is still AU$140M.  Minardi is still no-where near this!  Maybe they would be if I could raise an extra spare AU$100M, as a donation.  Currently, they are about 40, less than one tenth of Ferrari.

well i stufed that one up. ok i will start again

.04 of that comes from Minardi