Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackgarrett

V8 Supercars Lap Times At Adalide

I saw the V8 supercars on the weekend and the times they are doing are faster then i hoped for (I like to think F1 is 1/3 faster than any car or bike). The lap times they were going were 1:22.xxx and I looked for F1 times to compare and f1 fastest lap is around 1:14. Are the V8's using the whole track? I know they are over 30% slower the an F1 car but anyone know why the fast times?

I saw the V8 supercars on the weekend and the times they are doing are faster then i hoped for (I like to think F1 is 1/3 faster than any car or bike). The lap times they were going were 1:22.xxx and I looked for F1 times to compare and f1 fastest lap is around 1:14. Are the V8's using the whole track? I know they are over 30% slower the an F1 car but anyone know why the fast times?

Yes as far as i'm aware the V8 supercar track layout in Adelaide is the same as what it was when F1 was last there way back in 1995 I think.

Watch the coverage at the Australian GP for what is called the ultimate speed comparision, by which a road car is released then a V8 supercar followed by a F1 car, (normally a BMW Sauber) with the idea of having all three cross the finish line at the same time. It gives a great example of the contrasting speeds of the three cars.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

I love those speed comparrison tests though, there was a great one around Silverstone too.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

I love those speed comparrison tests though, there was a great one around Silverstone too.

The one with DC in his Macca days? Saw that one on youtube. Last time I went to the Aussie GP, I saw Vettel thrashing around for the speed comparison in a BMW Sauber. He beat the V8 super car. Just. Was great to watch live!

Hey Nathan, who has speed comparison duties in Melbourne this year?

The one with DC in his Macca days? Saw that one on youtube. Last time I went to the Aussie GP, I saw Vettel thrashing around for the speed comparison in a BMW Sauber. He beat the V8 super car. Just. Was great to watch live!

Hey Nathan, who has speed comparison duties in Melbourne this year?

Christian Klien as far as i'm aware mate. I'm just at Macca's now having a bite to eat then out to the track. V8's practice is on at 2.35pm and qualy later on. Christian will be out doing the intial laps for the speed comparision today as well.

yea i taped the f1 aussie race last year and watched a V8u go around the track and it was slow so i put it on 1.3 times speed and it was really moving! I timed a v8 car at 1.3 times speed and it was doing about 1.30.xxx still slower than F1.

So tell me Nathan, did Klien beat the V8?

Pathetic lap by Klien, up he lost to both the V8 which this year is Greg Murphy and the BMW 318i.

He wasn't really committed when he went through the first corner. Lets see if he can put together a better lap today.