Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinco

World's Oldest Track Closes

I'm sure the vast majority of you won't care because it's an oval (albeit a drivers' oval, if there is such a thing, as in not some big speedway where you just drive around and never lift and overtaking is a breeze...you have to work hard to overtake on a drivers' oval and do a lot of braking and shifting and fun stuff like that), but I think its worth a mention because of the history of this place.

The Milwaukee Mile has closed. They ran out of money and the government has denied any new owners (it seems for whatever reason they don't want racing there again). The facility was first used for motor racing in 1903 as a dirt track (it had been a horse racing track starting in 1876) before being paved in 1954. It has been a staple in North American open wheel racing since its inception, one of the only races that has survived the many changes in sanctioning bodies in US racing. It was the only track both IRL and Champ Car shared post-split, showing just how important to the sport it really was. More recently, the track has hosted NASCAR.

Its definitely sad to see a track with so much history go silent. Unfortunately, the Wisconsin Fair Board won't allow it to be re-opened, even as John Menard has partnered with two others to try to take over the Mile. There have been many great races at the track, most before my time, but even a youngin like me can recall some well-spent Sundays watching the racing from the track.

It doesn't get the attention of the other two, but Milwaukee certainly is in the same category as Indianapolis and Daytona as for as the roles they've played in American racing history. It will definitely be missed.

I don't know much about it, but you already knew that. So anyway, I just decided to vote your post up, which probably made you feel all warm inside.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Milwaukee track invariably made for great races and it is a shame to see it go.