Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Btcc 2010

Today's news:

Plato is to stick with RML this year after a works drive with Volvo fell threw. He'll be using a Cruze with RML hopeful of getting full manufacturer backing from Chevrolet. Team mate to be announced in coming weeks.

(Source: Autosport).

Great to see Plato back in the BTCC!

More news!

Matt Hamilton will return to the BTCC with TH Motorsport with a Honda Civic Type R in 2010

Jason Plato has been testing a Cruze today at Oulton Park. Alex MacDowell is to take over tomorrow.

Lastly, a couple of liveries for you:

IMG_2500.jpg

Forster's Beemer and:

DSC00045800x600.jpg

AmD's Golf.

Another day another new livery and more hints at a Honda/Dynamics tie-up with Neal's car sporting a new livery today at Oulton Park testing.

st_5348_68a0.jpg

Note-Matt hasn't been confirmed at Dynamics/Honda yet, no-one has, but surely with all this testing it is likely to be the case.

Pretty big news day today! Here's a round up of what's happened:

• Lo and behold, Matt Neal has been confirmed at his dad's team as he rejoins Team Dynamics which will be branded as Honda Racing this season. Gordon Shedden has been confirmed as the second driver. Quite suprising, he seemed like a certain shoe-in at Special Tuning UK.
  • Team AON have confirmed that they'll be using LPG Power for this season compared to last season. They've also confirmed the second driver alongside Chilton as Tom Onslow-Cole who drove in the last few races of the '09 season for them.
  • Motorbase has announced that despite an announcement that Airwaves wouldn't continue to sponsor them late last year, they will indeed continue to be sponsored by Airwaves after a new deal with the gum company. No drivers have been confirmed, but Jackson, Turkington, Adam and Kane have all been rumoured for the seats. Motorbase could run as many as 3 cars this season.

Also, the BTCC Media Day is next week on the 23rd when the official entry list will be published and we'll get a real look at everyone's 2010 rides.

Big news today, Chevrolet do the expected and announce a works-supported squad with Plato and MacDowell as the drivers:

RML will run a pair of factory-supported Chevrolet Cruzes in the British Touring Car Championship this season under the Silverline Chevrolet banner, with Jason Plato staying on as the lead driver in the squad.

Plato, 42, previously drove for RML when it ran the SEAT works squad in 2004, and returned last year after signing a deal to race an independently-fielded Chevrolet Lacetti three days before the start of the season.

After missing out on the title by only five points, the 2001 champion is confident of challenging for honours this season.

"I always had confidence that teaming up with RML again last year would mean wins - the Chevrolet Lacetti of 2009 was a formidable piece of kit," he said.

"Now in 2010 we have manufacturer support from Chevrolet, continued support from Silverline and a very exciting new car in the Cruze. We are very motivated to make this our year, the opposition better be ready. Roll on Thruxton."

Plato's team-mate will be Renault Clio Cup runner-up Alex MacDowall, who, at 19 years old, will be the youngest driver on the grid.

"To compete in the BTCC has been my goal for some time, and it's a great feeling to not only be entering the series this year, but to being doing so with such a competitive and experienced team as RML," said MacDowall, who also tested for the Motorbase and WSR BMW squads during the winter.

"I'm really excited for the season ahead - the Cruze has proven its pace and reliability in WTCC, and from the initial test last week there's no doubting that it will translate well in the BTCC."

Excellent! BTCC Media day tomorrow!

On the eve media day, Mat Jackson and Steven Kane confirmed at Airwaves sponsored Motorbase.

Mat Jackson and Steven Kane will race for the Airwaves BMW team in this year’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

The duo were officially confirmed as team-mates late last night, on the eve of the BTCC’s annual pre-season Media Day launch at Brands Hatch.

Warwickshire’s Jackson finished BTCC runner-up in 2008 in a BMW. That same season, Northern Irishman Kane, also in one of the German machines, starred with several podium finishes for David Bartrum’s Motorbase team before it ran under the Airwaves banner.

Team principal Bartrum told btcc.net: “In Mat and Steven we have a dream driver line-up which I defy anyone to rival.”

And he added in a statement: “Frankly, I couldn’t be happier. We know Steven’s potential well, having worked with him in the Carrera Cup before the BTCC, but then the chance to add Mat to the line-up was something really worth working for – his record in just three seasons in the BTCC speaks for itself.”

News that the popular Wrigley's high street brand Airwaves will continue to title-sponsor the Wrotham-based Motorbase team is a major boost for Bartrum. In addition, Leyland Paints will increase its backing during the 2010 season, while The Money Shop – the UK’s leading cheque-cashing business – has also added its support for 2010.

In just three seasons, Jackson has achieved 11 race wins in the BTCC. He was officially voted the ‘Fans Favourite’ in 2008 and last year became the first driver of the BTCC’s triple-header era to finish on the podium in every race at two consecutive events (as part of a sensational run of eight top-three results in a row).

The 28-year-old, from Henley-in-Arden, said: “It’s fantastic to be back in a BMW and with Airwaves on board its definitely time to kick up a gear! It would be an understatement to say that exciting times lie ahead. I feel this could be a great partnership – all of the team have the same focus and mine is no different… to win. With our new team partner Moneyshop.tv, I just hope that we can be cashing in as early as round one at Thruxton!”

Kane, meanwhile, will be eager to make it two BTCC titles in a row for Northern Ireland after fellow Ulsterman Colin Turkington lifted the crown last season. The 29-year-old commented: “It’s great to be back in the BTCC, especially with Motorbase Performance and Airwaves BMW – the last time I raced the BMW at Brands Hatch, I finished second twice… time to kick up a gear and start winning!

“I tested the car at the end of last year, back at Brands, and it’s very clear the team and car have moved on. I have great respect for David Bartrum and I think he has really put a great team together – with Mat, I will have a fantastic team-mate and I'm sure we will form a good partnership both on and off the track. This will enable both of us to have a real good shot at the title.”

Finally, Bartrum is eager for the start of the season at Thruxton on Easter Sunday 4 April, particularly as both his new drivers are proven winners around the high-speed circuit. Jackson has twice tasted victory there in the BTCC as well as in SEAT Cupras, while Kane took all four Carrera Cup wins at the Hants track in 2007.

Bartrum said: “Our guys have a pretty solid record round there, while I know that some of the other teams don’t… but we’ll see, come Easter weekend.”

Early shots of new livery too:

st_5356_05fb.jpg

Increased 23-car entry for 2010

The Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship has this morning officially confirmed a 23-car entry for its much-anticipated 2010 season. Defying the current economic climate, that’s more than was announced at the start of 2009 and includes a number of new teams, drivers, models of cars and big name sponsors.

Media, VIP guests and fans have descended on the world-famous Brands Hatch circuit in Kent for the annual launch of the UK’s premier motor racing series. There, the teams and drivers are taking part in an official test session prior to the opening round, which this year will be staged at the Thruxton circuit in Hampshire on Easter Sunday 4 April.

In total, seven different manufacturers, with nine different models, are represented on the grid, namely: BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, SEAT, Vauxhall and VW.

Click here for full entry list: http:/www.btcc.net/html/drivers.php

Note, cars 2, 4, 20 & 52 are Manufacturer entrants within the Manufacturers/Constructors Championship. Cars 21 & 23 are Independent Constructor entrants, within the Manufacturers/Constructors Championship.

Notably Honda and, for the first time, Chevrolet have entered as official manufacturer teams with former champions and fierce rivals Matt Neal and Jason Plato spearheading their campaigns, running under the Team Honda and Silverline Chevrolet banners respectively. Chevrolet’s entry also debuts its striking Cruze model into the BTCC. Joining Plato in the Chevrolet fold for what will be his debut season in the BTCC will be the youngest driver on the grid, Alex MacDowall who has only just turned 19.

Uniquely, Team Aon’s front-running Ford Focus will be powered by pioneering liquified petroleum gas (LPG) technology, while Triple Eight Race Engineering – which masterminded the factory Vauxhall team’s six drivers’ titles during the last decade – will continue with a pair of its Vectras for two as-yet unnamed drivers.

Looking to the future, two teams, Pirtek Racing and Pinkney Motorsport, will use the BTCC’s turbo-charged ‘Next Generation Touring Car’ engine, each in a Vauxhall Vectra, ahead of the arrival of full-blown NGTC regulations in 2011.

WSR, 2009’s title-winning team, and Airwaves BMW will both continue to run BMW’s ultra-successful 320si model, but with all-new driver line-ups. Robert Collard, an Airwaves driver in 2009, and Andy Neate – back after a remarkable recovery from serious injury – are both in at WSR. Meanwhile, Mat Jackson – second in 2008’s championship in a BMW – and the returning Steven Kane form Airwaves’ line-up. Newcomer Forster Motorsport makes it six BMWs on the grid.

In addition, the VW Golf – one of the most iconic models in motor manufacturing history – will appear in the BTCC for the first time since 1989, run by new team AmD Milltek Racing.com. Also entering its first BTCC campaign, Special Tuning UK maintains SEAT’s presence with the Spanish make’s Leon.

Meanwhile, Hondas and Vauxhalls are further represented thanks to four smaller teams entering older but nevertheless still-potent BTC-spec cars. Running Honda Integras – one for pop star Mel C’s brother Paul O’Neill – are Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Motorsport and, making its debut, Central Group Racing. TH Motorsport is fielding a Honda Civic Type R and Boulevard Team Racing continues with its 2001 Vauxhall Astra Coupe that twice achieved top ten results in 2009.

This year’s BTCC season will once again receive massive TV coverage across the ITV network. Mammoth six hour-plus broadcasts from all ten race events on ITV4 will each be followed by four 90-minute highlights on ITV1, ITV4 and Men & Motors. Coverage is set to break the 120-hours mark – beating 2009’s record figures. Furthermore, the itv.com website will live-stream ITV4’s race-day coverage.

And, as announced previously, world-renowned tyre company Dunlop has returned as title sponsor of the BTCC for the next four years. In conjunction with the BTCC, Dunlop last year developed pioneering RFID technology in its tyres. This year it will introduce a new race tyre to the series, the Dunlop Sport Maxx BTCC, which is more durable and also complies with latest EU environmental regulations. Similarly, Dunlop’s sister company, ‘fast fit’ vehicle service HiQ, will back the hotly-contested Teams’ Championship through to 2013 after two years as title sponsor of the BTCC.

“This is a fantastic start to our new season and a new decade for the BTCC,” commented BTCC Series Director Alan Gow. “Globally, motor sport has really felt the pinch of late following what has been a very cruel recession, yet the BTCC continues to buck that trend and set an example for many other high-profile series around the world, as shown by our 2010 entry list.

“I’m immensely proud of the huge efforts made by the teams, drivers and sponsors during the winter to ensure they are here, but the fact they continue to want to compete and succeed in the BTCC speaks volumes for this great championship’s ability to excite, inspire and reward at the very highest level in the UK. No doubt, as normal, even more teams and drivers will join the championship during the course of the season – which is further testament to the BTCC as being Britain’s biggest drawcard for teams, drivers and sponsors.

“Just to remind people of a few facts: our trackside crowds are often bigger than many Premiership football games; we are watched by many millions on TV, in both the UK and right around the world, thanks to our truly terrific broadcast partner ITV; we enjoy the tremendous support of a hugely passionate title sponsor in Dunlop; plus, the free admission for children and unrivalled interaction between the public and the stars all make the BTCC a unique sporting attraction.

“The BTCC remains way ahead of all other motor racing series in Britain in terms of public profile, variety, action, competitive rivalry, unpredictability, popularity and levels of professionalism… and our entry list again underlines its stature. In fact, many other international series look at our championship with real envy. I look forward to what promises to be another phenomenal season in the BTCC’s illustrious history.”

Main news from that is that Team Dynamics are now manufacturer backed by Honda!

Entry List.

So, big day today being media day. New cars, new drivers, new liveries. All sorts happening.

Morning and afternoon testing results can be found here. Kane went fastest in the morning with Plato fastest in the afternoon.

Obviously lots of new liveries and pictures of the new cars can be found here. I hope either Motorbase or WSR add some more colours to their cars otherwise they could be easy to mix up in a race!

Adding the official entry list to the original post too...

Race three from Thruxton was rather good, actually. I'll give most of the blame to Neal, though not all of it. Do we want people to stay in line or do we want them to try to overtake? I'm glad he made the effort. It ended in disaster, though. To be fair, he could have not tried the move at all knowing he'd be caught in a bad place, but perhaps he felt he could get around or Collard would give him more room. He couldn't back off at the time.

Still, I don't like Matt Neal and I loved Collard's interview.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

By the way, if you don't live in the UK and want to watch BTCC live, PM me. It's worth trying the series out because it's actually really fun.

Interesting three races, but that's what you'd come to expect from the BTCC. Great to see Fab win after being confirmed so late, the Uniq guys were reportedly very happy so hopefully they stay onboard for the full season. Nice to see Kaney win too, he's a very nice guy and one of the cleanest drivers in the field. Reminds me of Turkington actually.

Anyway, roll on Rockingham. A notice for any British viewers for the forthcoming round-ITV4 will NOT be showing the third BTCC race live due to the IPL final. However, an 8:00pm show will show all three races in full length.

Just a quick note, slightly delayed. James Nash will take the place of Fabrizio at the forthcoming Rockingham round, seems like Gio won't be around for the full season. Shame, he really added to the calibre of the championship. But I do still hope that the likes of the Hondas and Airwaves BMWs can challenge JP for the title.

Some good news on the horizon for BTCC fans everywhere. As stated in AUTOSPORT this week, reigning champion Colin Turkington could be back behind the wheel as soon as Oulton with WSR. Apparently they've had a breakthrough with the sponsor hunt, although they are still a little short on cash.

I hope it happens, it would be great, not just for the fans and the series as a whole, but WSR too. Without CT they seem to have lost their way a little this year. Collard's good, but with respect to Neate, he really needs to start delivering. Overall so far this season has been a bit of a disappointment for WSR and to have Turkington back would only be a boost.

Agreed James. I think Turks is class. Always liked him. Plato is a good driver, but an idiot in life. Trust me, I know this!

Bring it on baby. Thanks for all the updates too James. Awesome job.

Thanks Steph, appreciated. It was recently confirmed that Turkington has indeed secured a ride, but it isn't in the BTCC sadly. He's now in the WTCC. See here.

Good for him. He's a world class driver and it'll be interesting to see how he goes against the supposed best touring car drivers in the world.

Great 2 races from Croft, touring car racing at it's best! Great to see Andy Jordan take his maiden victory after all the issues the Pirtek team have had so far this year. Oh, and also, check out this awesome photo finish from Race One.

Okay, this is more related to next season, but whatever. It's recently been confirmed that the NGTC testing car will be a Toyota Avensis. Gives an idea of the sort of (ugly) cars we can expect in '11 and the future. Despite this, Toyota say they currently have no intentions to enter the championship as a manufacturer, but perhaps maybe this car could end up on the grid under private hands? Also, apparently MG are investigating a return to the sport next season using the new MG6. Vauxhall apparently are interested in returning to the sport "soon" after a one year hiatus, but that's really the worst kept secret currently, as the Insignia quite conviently consides with the new rules. I have to admit, I was sceptical about the NGTC rules when they were first announced, and to a degree I still am. I have no idea how some of the smaller teams are going to be able to keep racing. It seems Gow is currently only interested in chasing manufacturers for the future, and it seems to be working. But really, he has the privateers to thank most for giving the sport a boost when it really needed it (01 and 05-06 spring to mind).

I have to say, at Silverstone, for the first time in ages, I was quite disgusted at BTCC, and in particular Team AON.

If you don't know what I'm on about, basically in the first two races, Tom Onslow-Cole was leading, quite comfortably from his team mate. But in the first two races, Onslow-Cole moved over on the exact same peice of track both times, to let Chilton through and ultimately win.

The reason? Gearbox issues, apparently.

And before you think AON are favouring their lead driver in the championship, just take a look at the current standings.

2. Onslow-Cole 157
5. Chilton 127

Unless the likes of Plato, Neal and Shedden have absolute disasters (like, failing to score into double figures in a meeting) it's very, very unlikely that Chilton can win the championship, espacially considering the machinery underneath Plato, Neal and Shedden.

Team orders ARE allowed in BTCC, but still, I don't think team orders, whether they are allowed or not, are acceptable. It robs the fans of a result.

It's such a chame Chilton has to get his daddy-waddy with his huge amounts of cash to let him even have a look in at the title.

Another thing. The obvious advantage the Fords have. Now obviously, when innovations come along in motorsport (heck knows they don't come that often) they should be applauded. Yet, in a set of rules, purposely designed to keep the cars as close as possible in terms of performance to allow competitive racing, I don't see how a car that has a 10mph advantage on the straight over every other car is legal.

Races 2 and 3 at Silverstone were excellent, door-to-door action, it's just a shame about the Ford situation currently. It's a farce, and Gow and the series organisers could have handled it much better. If for nothing else, I think the Ford's boost pressure should be pegged back for the driver's own good. Already seen numerous times this season, both drivers appear to think with their speed advantage, they can drive THROUGH and not around other cars.

Reminder, it's the Brands finale tomorrow. Grid for race one is nicely set up. Plato on pole, Neal 2nd, Shedden 3rd, Onslow Cole way back in 10th. Honda boys are apparently just going to "go for it" on the opening laps. Could make for entertaining viewing, espacially if Neal and Plato come to blows....again.

Plato takes his 59th and 60th race wins and clinches the British Touring Car Championship.

Tom Chilton is the independents' champion over Steven Kane, who very nearly took it on the last lap until a slight wobble cost him dearly.

Decent season overall. Hopefully the NGTC (below) will provide some good action next year.

st_6404_7b15.jpg

EDIT: I do wonder why the software felt the need to resize the image to -11%.

A great end to a great season. Was hoping it'd got to the last race of the day like in '09, but Plato is the worthy champion.

Great news to hear of Honda's continued support of Dynamics and ITV's deal to continue showing one of the best racing series around for the next three years.

I don't like Plato, but I'm glad he won and not Onslow-Cole, only because the Internet would have exploded.

wllel KINda BEST SEESIN EVERER but i rly wntd teh FRORSDS FOCUS 2 wni tom chlitlon is SO hawt lol an onsowle-coLE 2 BUT CHTIlton more but TOM ONE TOM ONE TOM ONE CAMEPIONEDS mebe nxt YR fersure tehy wllili win 15 racese each and bte tyied CHAMOPIONDS cuz them frords is bad fasrt GO CHLITLON AND SONELOSW-COLE!!11 lol i bet theryere have 5 cars nxt yr w CHirlton, onsLOw-coLe, pl@t0, turtrkdiengton, an Ngiel masnedll's suns 2!2111 fersure wat a gr8 chMFEAonship fror teh fords focusders TOOOOOMMMMMMMM<3

Hahah, yeah, it would have been something like that. That's why I stay well clear of the BTCC forum these days, not to mention the guys who don't let you speculate on who may be moving where, despite having a very good source.

NO! Imma not believing this till it appears of the front page!!!!!!!!!! STFU and GTFO, Onslow Cole is not going to the V8 Supercars because I love him very much and here's staying with me! :angry: