Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raikkonen_rulez

British GP axed

The British Grand Prix has been axed from the provisional 2005 calendar. The final calendar has yet to be officially ratified but will be put ebfore the world council of the FIA on 13 October. Jackie Stewart, president of the BRDC which owns Silverstone described the news as 'a disaster' and has called on Bernie Ecclestone to reconsider.

The BRDC refused to pay the full fee demand of Bernie Ecclestone in order to have a Grand Prix at Silverstone next season. They made a counter offer which was lower than Ecclestone's asking price.

"We've gone as far as we can in making cutbacks in other areas to be able to afford the Grand Prix because we feel it is very impotant for the country as a whole," Stewart told BBC Radio Five Live. "The difference between the money being asked for is comparatively small - in single figures of millions - but the amount is unaffordable."

"The BRDC cannot afford the British Grand Prix at just any price," he added.

Competition to host a Grand Prix is fierce with many new venues willing to pay through the nose to secure a place on the calendar. Chances of government intervention in the UK are very slim as the British government got its fingers burned once before when dealing with Ecclestone - back in 1997 when he made a

It is an extremely sad thing that Silverstone is axed. All the drivers know it so well, I wonder how they will take it.

This bad, especially for the British teams, as their "home field advantage" is gone.

This is terrible news; I hope Bernie

i dont mind there beening no silverstone next year as long as there is a UK GP back befour 2007. hay this might make the guys who own silverstone get up and change things to make the place better for racing.