Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Ugly Or Not

Fat slicks do help out back, probably make the racing better too...but I think the biggest aesthetic issue with these cars and many others is the airbox. Even in IndyCar, where they now have turbocharged engines, they're still using an airbox (in fact, a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge one by modern standards, bigger than before). If you remove the airbox, you get a little something like this, which isn't perfect but in comparison to what they're going to be doing in this era, it's really a nice approach:

Dixon%20Target%20Panoz%203.jpg

Panoz%20Penske%2010.jpg

(Those are obviously custom models of the real thing, I just happen to think it looks nice in the clothes it never got to wear).

But how the cars look is less important than how the cars sound which is less important than how the cars smell if you're actually at the track (I'm never surprised when dogs are running around on the circuit; anything with a keen sense of smell and hearing is going to get near racecars), which is part of why I hate Ethanol of course because it smells a bit like popcorn to some but even more like the inside of a Burger King to me.

Anyway, they're going to throw these puppies around at Spa and Montréal and Monaco so they can't be that bad.