Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruslan

Under New Management

18 December 2017   6:15 (CET)

Grid girls subject could be potentially a hot potato, and getting rid of them as quickly as possible under whatever pretenses could be actually a wisdom based (political) decision. I would expect sooner or later someone starts counting how many are of this or that ethnic group or gender, and that debate simply put, as a social issue so fervidly debated elsewhere, is not worth anyone's time on the racing grid. There are already enough of competing views whether female body is actually strong enough to manage F1 car, and I am not sure that debate ever was sensibly concluded. Seeing female pilots in fighter planes is one thing, but driving an F1 car competitively speaking could be another thing altogether.     

19 December 2017   4:47 (CET)

Breakaway series?

There is nothing like competition. I am dreaming about this for a decade, if not longer, when MM was playing a dictator. What is new, as revealed in the article by PP, at least for me it is, that latest CA is legally permissive to such alternative. I have been aware that previous CA was blocking breakaway move.  

Most of the Formula One teams have contracts that expire at the end of 2020 and Marchionne said Ferrari would be able to walk away.

"I think that Ferrari has the strength to drag others as well to an alternative championship," he added.

Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff has revealed that he backs the sentiment of Ferrari president with regards to the future path of Formula 1 and that he would consider withdrawing his team should the basic ethos of the sport change while pointing to prize money distribution as an obstacle in negotiations....

...“I have said it in Abu Dhabi that we love Formula 1, we are in here to stay but it needs to have the right framework – governance framework, regulatory framework, it needs to be managed in the right way and we will voice our opinion if we think things are not going in the right direction.”

Brown and Horner are happy with Liberty. Maybe 22 Cosworth V10 on the grid is their dream. If so, lets hope they also find people who will watch it (for big bucks to pay outstanding debts).

I have just seen that in 2018 F1 won't be available on free to air TV in Italy. Sky has approx 1m subscribers to F1 so in a matter of days F1 has almost completely disappeared from one of its main markets. I congratulate the good guys at Liberty, I'm sure that the sponsors will be delighted by this latest development, I guess that Marchionne will be so happy that he's spending money to promote the Alfa Romeo brand and at the stroke of a pen most of his target audience has been erased.

I find the whole concept of having to pay to watch someone who tries to sell me stuff rather ludicrous, if F1 is paid by sponsors then pay TV should be an extra for those willing to pay more (I have watched some races on Sky in Italy and it was nearly as bad as the Ch4 coverage in the UK, they made me want to cry...) and it should be available to anyone else for free :rolleyes: 

21 December 2017   16:09 (CET)

For good or bad, F1 is being "Americanized". Take latest scandalous over-reported viewership, and then blaming a systemic error in calculations. So, now they provided correction, but, article claims, new calculations were made available only to NA media. Other than a headline nothing else was released in EU.

29 December 2017   8:30 (CET)

Handelsblatt:

Germans Driving the British Car Industry

Great Britain’s traditional car brands are experiencing a renaissance under German management. But the country’s possible exit from the European Union could bring the good times to a screeching halt.

Does anyone want to take guess how this will influence the F1? From my perspective it is hard to say and no one is in a position to lay a claim to in-depth foresight, but some aspects are almost certain based on political mood we are experiencing:

1. Contrary to some superficial yammering on sidelines, F1 - I think - will be affected. To what extend remains to be seen.

2. Companies with HQ on the continent will probably have to change their MO, should they want to remain working in England. What I mean is that Mercedes and Renault (Honda to some extent) might be experiencing challenges at the border, such as customs delays, red tape, etc. Impact will be felt ultimately on the track with delayed upgrades, and who knows how else it will affect operations which are time-factor dependent.

And there could be more, should current negotiations become even more vile as they are already. Danger FOG is facing IMO that the F1 might become even more British-centric as it is already, and that might signal begging of the end of the series in the "old" form. EU, the original and core market for this sport will loose interest even more than they have already. 

...here

52 minutes ago, Sakae said:

the country’s possible exit from the European Union

There is NO speculation,    the UK, (country) WILL exit the EU
The EU DON`T want this, which is WHY,     dragging their heels and delaying.has

WITHOUT the UK, I don`t really see that the EU has any influence.

EU is dragging their heels? News to me. Do you read any newspapers such as The Guardian or The Independent?  Economical with the Actualité?

4 January 2018   6:39 (CET)

ECCLESTONE: FERRARI CAN LIVE WITHOUT F1 BUT NOT VICE VERSA

Looks like BE hasn't lost his touch to steer some emotions. Reality is, this assertion is yet to be proven. Risk it involves is, that it may not end up well ...for the F1. Pillaging automakers is certainly no guarantee means of addressing F1 finances in which the commercial holder just takes out without playing Robbin Hood.

4 January 2018   7:39 (CET)

WHITING: PROBLEM IS THE BIG THREE TEAMS ARE TOO QUICK

What, a glass of water is half empty? Maybe problem rather is IMO, the others are too slow, and slowing leading teams down to converge with the pack is certainly way how to bring F1 to its knees. I thought F1 has that famous DNA, yet FiA finds the way how to (mis)characterize issues of the day. 

4 January 2018   13:07 (CET)

Todt revives idea of ‘global engines’

I am inclined to believe that's waving good bye to some teams currently on the grid. Hopefully a new racing series as far away from LM, and some in FiA as possible will become my new home. This headline will give a pause to number of folks.

5 January 2018   11:59 (CET)

Brawn: Independent F1 engine supplier key for 2021

...And this implies hybrid engine is out, just as probably one or two top tier teams which, we are lead to believe with incessant propaganda blowing in the paddock and on sidelines, have "nowhere to go," thus scre* them in fully blown Anglo-American fashion. RBR like a properly trained poodle schmoozing with new brass, full of partisan opportunism with unspoken warm feeling and prospect dominating series with aero superiority, once the nasty MB and Ferrari are out of their way. Brawn and Todt these days both tell narrative in which basic logic often disintegrates, resembling rhetoric of one Mr. Farage promising painless, glorious Brexit. (Which he is yet to deliver.) I thought that I will never say that, but despite some statements of his which infuriated me, yet today I miss dear BE.  He understood DNA of this sport in its proper context.

Cosworth is now American (formerly UK) company owned by people who have some experience with CART series. One is left wondering how much talk is there in the background to morph F1 into CART 2. I am willing to bet that Ferrari and Mercedes will not go for it. I can see them leaving altogether, vehicle and PU alike. Honda proclaimed they came back to F1 for challenge hybrid PU poses. How that will play in the future remains to be seen. Renault is run by someone who resembles a lot Marchionne, so that is also big unknown.

Is it to soon to assert, that LM are dismantling F1 bit by bit?

It was Bernie Ecclestone, Max Mosely and Jean-Marie Ballestre (all infamous figures in the racing world) who were behind the swift change towards F1 regulations, and they were the ones who profited the most from manufacturers moving to F1. They collected F1's TV money.

Well now they could be moving out, UNLESS conspiracy exists, and LM knows where cash-cow is parked.

Read here...

8 January 2018   7:38 (CET)

I've listened to an interview Negative Camber (F1 blogger) conducted with Zak Brown, and I am left with impression, that F1 board rooms became a war zone, with certain group trying to isolate MB and Ferrari as bad boys of the paddock. So what about all those pretenses that some kind of negotiations are going on?

- Not EU, but China and US must be explored (I gather EU viewership is taken for granted then, or is it more of who cares about core market of 450 m without GB?).

. Budget cap (American style?) of about 150MM is coming (for sure). Wow, wow, wow...why to inflict so much pain?

- Taking from rich (Europeans) and giving it to poor sounded to me like F1 tailored Robin Hood story when described by the American marketing guru. 

Interview left me with a number of questions, but they all have possible answers speculated on many times over already, and getting into these moods again is pretty tiring by now. More importantly perhaps is a question what I will watch in two or three years after Vettel and Ferrari leaves, and so will probably MB? F1 might draw a different crowd, and reports will be published on Twitter, with special Emojis dripping all over expressing personalities with fast thumbs. I am not on Twitter or Facebook (and have no plans to change that), so I am in odds with new age.

I think that whilst a new series would be nice touch, yet something is telling me, that it is rather E-series which will receive some new enquires. German car industry is in transitional phase to go all-out electrical. Motion was set on long time ago, and now the EU infrastructure (power grid) needs to be built to support new demands. Promotions will follow.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, Sakae said:

Cosworth is now American (formerly UK) company

Cosworth is based in Northampton, England,[1] with North American facilities in Indianapolis and Mooresville, North Carolina.

Cosworth has collected 176 wins in Formula One (F1) as engine supplier, ranking second with most wins behind Ferrari.[

CosworthJpg.jpg

20 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Cosworth is based in Northampton, England,[1] with North American facilities in Indianapolis and Mooresville, North Carolina.

Cosworth has collected 176 wins in Formula One (F1) as engine supplier, ranking second with most wins behind Ferrari.[

CosworthJpg.jpg

You forgot to add, that Hong Kong used to be British colony. That might be relevant as well.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

8 January 2018   14:41 (CET)

Mandatory reading.

very interesting, basically Liberty wants to create a system where Franchises mean that Ferrari will always be in F1 whether they are based in Maranello o in Roccacannucia, Mercedes will always be in F1 despite the fact that they might be owned by Domino's pizza, etc, they want the teams to surrender most of their bargaining power. I'm sure that some of the folks in F1 might not be the sharpest minds around when it comes to legal matters but even a child would be able to call Liberty's bluff.

Moreover I still don't understand why the teams and the FIA let Liberty talk about the rules, it's none of their business

On 5/1/2018 at 6:02 PM, Sakae said:

Well now they could be moving out, UNLESS conspiracy exists, and LM knows where cash-cow is parked.

Read here...

I'm not 100% sure about this article, I think that gives the impression that by 1991 you could still buy a second hand 962 and go racing and challenge the big guys but that was no longer the case. The 962 was an old car, I managed to drive one in 1989 and I still remember how it went. My chances of ever doing any racing with that privateer team were very slim, at the end of my second lap at Monza I stopped because I thought that there was something seriously wrong with the brakes and I remember that I told to the owner of the car that someone had glazed the brakes (he had been driving before me so he wasn't very impressed). I was wrong, the reality was that you had to drive a 962 under braking as they used to do in the early 70s, that car was 20 years behind compared to the Van diemen Formula Opel Lotus or the Dallara 388 that I used to race during that season, it was unbelievable how poor some parts of that project were (brakes and gearbox stand out among not so good parts of that car). The problem for group C was not the demise of the 962 and all that it meant, it was the fact that other manufacturers had moved on and it was very difficult and very expensive to come up with a car to be sold and raced by small teams to be competitive against the Saubers and the Jaguars. You then have to consider that a lot of interest (= money) was going towards DTM and that rallying was becoming ever more popular. IMHO the real challenger for F1 in that era was rallying, and they killed rallying by changing the format of the races. Group C was a spent force, and BTW I think that some of the races in the next few years, I am referrring to the era of the McLaren F1 and Ferrari F40, produced some great racing

2 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Moreover I still don't understand why the teams and the FIA let Liberty talk about the rules, it's none of their business

You aren't the only one. "New" approach is possibly travesty, but then there is so much of it all around us these days that it is hard to absorb it all, and remain calm. Atmosphere has become toxic full of credulity and partisan opportunism. (But then, this is the F1.)

11 January 2018   18:26 (CET)

Cosworth admits it is "unlikely" to return to Formula 1 as an independent engine supplier

British company is involved in the discussions for reshaping the engine rules

It's actually American owned company, but whatever. Point is, it appears that it is McLaren and RBR who do drive the agenda, rather than Mercedes and Ferrari. Another article reinforcing my feeling that we will see era of automobile companies coming to the end. New era starts in 2021, featuring NFL style races, cheerleaders, trumpets and clowns in mid-race break, grid lines will resemble football field, etc. Well, as long as Brawn and his buddies have all sorted out how to improve racing. I thought we will see 22 Cosworth engines on the grid, but they do not have money (surprise - not), then maybe government can support them. It will be really nice to watch.

12 January 2018   20:25 (CET)

With official manufacturer interest in Formula E ramping up big time, and Mercedes and Porsche soon joining the series, could the all-electric championship prove a viable alternative for Ferrari?

This is from Fr-website. It has not escaped attention to Mr. Agag, that Fiat is lagging behind German automakers in a field of electrification (for now). I would add, calculus centered on logic - mostly by media - that Ferrari will NOT leave F1 series, because they have "nowhere to go", is at the High School backyard level, and not much of any value for further elaboration. Ferrari can of course take a year or so sabbatical from racing, and quietly work on whatever their goal is. Better that, than sign into slavery for x-number of years. Right now I would like to know how Renault will get out of their contract, should they choose to do so. If my memory serves me, they were supposed to be on the hook until 2023 or thereabout.