Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Pirelli

motosport.com has a brief summary on tire testing. Tires were tested purportedly on approx. 12000 [km] in total, and what's outstanding is analysis of data collected. I am however slightly baffled by the time line. As of today, there is 89 days to next (and first in) test of next season, which is on 2017-02-27. I've always thought that Pirelli needs at least four months to make new tires. Full development of base construction however takes much longer, of course. I have certain aversion towards leaving developments on a critical path without containing any slack to offset loss when things do not pan out well.

Presumed schedule for them then contains data analysis, failure mode testing, holiday, production, etc. They will be really busy.

Article

Pre-season test days:

Test 1 in 2017-02-27 to 03-02

Test 2 in 2017-03-07 to 03-10

How bloody wide are they? There almost double the width front and back compared to this seasons. Pit crews will have to muscle up as they will be heavier to lift on and of the hub during pitstops. So to maintain the speed during pitstops, there going to have to muscle up lol. Don't really like the look of the rear wing tbh, love how it's wider and longer but the way it contours back down to the bottom of the chassis looks more a1gp style to me, yuk.

I see it as this, they couldn't make a slick before, now there twice as wide meaning twice the chance they'll screw it up again. I still to this day don't know why f1 puts up with Pirelli. They need to learn to make a proper road tyre first let alone an f1 tyre. There absolute garbage, go back to Bridgestone or go kumho or something different like that but anything other than Pirelli would be a start.

In Spain next month one test will be a wet one. From where I sit, I am rather concerned whether we actually get any testing in dry conditions.

What happened to Pirelli owning a 2/3 year old car and doing the testing? Is that illegal now to?

For pre-season wet testing Pirelli needed support from teams and FiA. (Track, drivers, etc.) I think they did not get it. Beats me why.

Wouldn't need to force these types of tests if teams could test more frequently. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a new rule about the running of the Pirelli test car. Didn't Lucas Di grassi drive it?

Pirelli will not run a test unless they get an experienced driver who is capable to provide feedback of value. They are not that stupid.

i have lowered my expectations on Pirelli long time ago. As long as we don't see several tires exploding in a single weekend, that to me is already a great job for Pirelli :surrender:

Mario Isola replaced Hembery as a front man for tire supplier. I think, and hope, it's a good thing. Hembery was too close for my comfort with some key people on the inside.

I would hate to use this wide wet reguardless if they didn't have any issues, it's so wide it will handle like a pig. Look at rally cars, when in snow or dirt they run narrow tyres as it's easier and faster to cut threw the debris and gain traction, especially in water.