Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Who will replace ROSBERG ?

Guiterrez, just like Massa, has entered E-series, of which Massa has to now extricate. So much for him laying on the beach, retired. Lowe, from all we read, seems not as much after technical prowess, but top job, which he cannot get with Mercedes, as long as Wolff is there. Williams, with Symonds retiring, is to reorganize at the front office within next two years. Again, that's what street says. Back to Merc, it really seems like Bottas and Wehrlein are at the moment last two names which in rational terms could take the empty seat.  Bottas, if he gets it, will have about one month to work on his new simulator.

Since BBC Sport revealed that Bottas was Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff's first choice to replace Rosberg, all the elements have been put in place

This is very strange statement, because I do distinctly remember an interview with Wolff, in which he clearly stated, that Bottas would be his last choice from all names on their list. I am not so sure that BBC should be trusted these days, because if I have to, I take Wolff's word first before theirs.

I agree with everything you said there. I don't know what Lewis has done not to ever receive the slightest punishment for things he does or says about the team from the team. As the idea of button, I also agree Lewis wouldn't like it, because a man who seems obsessed with statistics, it must kill him to know that button was the first driver to beat him as a teammate before rosberg did. But button did it different, he didn't just beat Lewis for one season, he had overall better results than Lewis did in there time as teammates. That would be eating him up. As for sauber, Gutierrez has confirmed a formula e seat and sauber have already signed Ericsson, so that only leaves the one seat. Which I feel werhelin has instead of Nasr. Which brings me to him, where's he? Got shafted for being a better driver than Ericsson.

Why Toto hasn't announced Nico's replacement yet? Toto said before Christmas that they will announce right after the year-end/new year celebs.

Toto Wolf is full if IT ! C'mon merc, make up you godamn minds (if you have any) :the_finger:

From all what I've read I think it is actually Williams who is holding things up with Lowe. Mercedes is waiting for them to make an official announcement first, so it was reported.

Maybe both Merc and williams are holding the announcement up to get better exposure while they're at it. Childish in my opinion B) 

12 hours ago, radical-one said:

Maybe both Merc and williams are holding the announcement up to get better exposure while they're at it. Childish in my opinion B) 

Lauda explains delays...here.

As suspected, Pascal is still in the background as a potential candidate. Depends how greedy whole thing gets.

From various articles it seems as it is not absolutely certain that Bottas will drive for Merc, should Williams's demands became too uncomfortable. It's hard to say right now what is Williams thinking. They may push their demands on Merc as far as possible, and do it at the end anyway. This year musical chairs might be quite interesting, comes September and beyond.

One thing has been clarified, that Massa was really not offered contract extension, which is why he left. One can call it retirement, but than how he explains his new - now cancelled - contract with E-series.

The whole saga is still up in the air and I can guess it is frustrating to some people specifically the candidate drivers. 

While Merc is farting and beating around the bush, RB, Ferrari and McLaren are getting prepared for the winter tests. 

saw this somewhere....

The 2017 Formula 1 field so far

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas (likely)

Red Bull: Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen

Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen

Force India: Sergio Perez, Esteban Ocon

Williams: Felipe Massa, Lance Stroll

McLaren: Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne

Toro Rosso: Carlos Sainz Jr, Daniil Kvyat

Haas: Romain Grosjean, Kevin Magnussen

Renault: Nico Hulkenberg, Jolyon Palmer

Sauber: Pascal Wehrlein, Marcus Ericsson

Manor: TBA, TBA

4 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

I guessed that last year that Massa wasn't retiring, he was "retiring" because he no longer had a seat at Williams.

Well that's that.

4 hours ago, radical-one said:

The whole saga is still up in the air and I can guess it is frustrating to some people specifically the candidate drivers. 

While Merc is farting and beating around the bush, RB, Ferrari and McLaren are getting prepared for the winter tests. 

My thought exactly. Pascal trained on Merc simulator, Valtteri might have not. Difficult times for both.

A decision would've been made already as this new driver would have to be at Mercedes by now getting set for 2017. Seat fitting and all that crap ahead of the first test. So whoever it is, they have been able to go u detected so far.

I think the issue here is that no one is not denying the fact bottas is entitled to the Mercedes, there's no disagreement really that says he doesn't deserve it. The Fact is that there is just someone who deserves it more in the sense of what way he entered the sport to this situation now. All I am saying is that you would've expected some loyalty towards THERE driver in a situation that doesn't have to be as difficult as they have made it out to be so far. I honestly feel it's setting a new presedence in the sport down to what is legally and morally the right thing to do in terms on securing the services of drivers for periods of time that they wish. On the other side, you look at pascal, how would he be feeling? How will it affect the mentality and approach of a driver they support and spent millions on nurturing and developing skills to one day promote him in a role in a way they want. To not only stop him from talking to other teams just incase Mercedes want him, to basically what looks rejection of the race seat to bottas. Now he lost out to ocon and force India, so you assume a better job is out there for him. Mercedes stop him from talking to sauber, then allowing him again after what seems rejection. I just find it blasphemous that he wasn't immediately recruited as replacement, it just boggles my mind how they expect pascal to keep positive when he can't even get this chance, what else have they got to offer for him? He should cut ties with Mercedes if he doesn't land the seat next to Hamilton as he's in at sauber now anyway by the sounds of it once an official announcement is made.

Agree totally. I just hope that Pascal can keep it together until better opportunity comes his way in 2018. At least the other F1 teams knows how good he can become and that may count for something later even not with Merc. Alonso is getting old so a Maclaren seat would also do him well.

All about the timing really. Had Max come into the Red Bull seat after Vettel left, he'd have looked average.

Pasal deserves the seat more than Bottas. At least with Red Bull and their driver programs, you get a shot. That's the easy part. The hard part is sticking around in the sport. Vettel, Ricci and Max will all be around awhile. But I can't see Kvyat being here in years to come and he'll go on the ever increasing graveyard list of ex Red Bull drivers.

The hit to Pascal's confidence will be massive. Rather than let him fly and go for it, they I fear have fed him lies and false promises. If I had a choice though, Sainz would be confirmed as the Merc #2 already.

You are right. Pascal deserves the seat more than Bottas. I also cannot imagine Bottas fighting it off with Lewis inside and outside the tracks (politics).

I see Bottas as being a yes-man against Lewis unlike Rosberg or Button.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bottas plays 2nd fiddle to Lewis and will be totally surprised if Bottas tries honestly to beat Lewis. 

Maybe the next secret is that Pascal will end p in Ferrari to replace Kimi or even Seb if Seb goes back to RB in 2018...

Well that about puts confirmation on bottas joining Mercedes. Or the one other curve ball that could save us is button signing for Mercedes and bottas stays at Williams. But even Claire Williams is saying she's hoping for a smooth transition for bottas so she is already stating he's on his way and the contracts talks are at there end. Just a few things to finish up she says so it's basically confirmed that bottas to Mercedes, werhlein to sauber, Massa back to Williams.