Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Fia Bans Advanced Damper System

Again, another shining example of how Formula 1 will look in the future...a spec series with technical advances mandated by the governing body, to all teams, rather than innovated by each team. I'm sorry, Colin Chapman, you aren't wanted here... :(

A spec series with none of a spec series' normal benefits, such as reduced spending, emphasis on the driver, etc...

A spec series with none of a spec series' normal benefits, such as reduced spending, emphasis on the driver, etc...

How right you are, mate, how right you are...

Again, another shining example of how Formula 1 will look in the future...a spec series with technical advances mandated by the governing body, to all teams, rather than innovated by each team. I'm sorry, Colin Chapman, you aren't wanted here... :(

I tend to agree on principle, but the FIA may have a case here.

3.15 Aerodynamic influence:

With the exception of the cover described in Article 6.5.2 (when used in the pit lane) and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance:

- Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.

- Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).

- Must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.

Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances.

No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the skid block in 3.13 above, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane.

Of course they should probably have done it earlier, but that is the way it has been with everything this season - Ferrari's, BMW's and Mclaren's wings all passed scrutineering before being banned later. It does violate the regulations, and then there is the fact that Renault did not clear the system with the FIA befored using it.

I agree that it's against the regulations as written, but that wasn't my point, really. My point was that the regulations severely limit innovation at the team-level, with no end in sight. Colin Chapman ran into the beginnings of this shift towards greater regulations and it caused him to quit Formula 1 (highly simplified version).

wonder what else is there that is to be banned!!!! :blink:

Judging by recent form ANYTHING innovative that a team can come up with to try and get an edge... whether it actually works or not <_<

I'm pretty sure the FIA could find a reason for banning wheels on an F1 car if they tried hard enough.