Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Serious Formula 2 Accident

Despite the obvious idiocy of not including the safety measure on lower categories, truth is that no system will ever prove to be 100% safe.

The wheel theter system is actually very good. The common sight of wheels flying around in every accident is something unimaginable today.

Other than that, it is impossible to device a method to avoid this kind of accidents. All you can do is minimize them. Cars need to be very collapsable to absorb impact, the d#ckpit (ha! I avoided censorship there!) needs to be strong to ensure the drivers survivability. Any change on a safety measure brings uncertainities on others. That's just how systems work.

Then again, having a simple, cheap and effective system like the wheel tether and not applying it to the lower categories is just criminal if such is the case.

As I said before and after saw the accident the track is main factor of the tragedy: in a modern track with the correct exits for uncrontrolled cars it never happenned! The car hit by its left side a bended guar rail to protect a tree! i f only the guard rail were straight right the car never lost its tyres!

Quote from the article on f1-live:

"After the death of a marshal in an F1 race in 2001 rule revisions introduced a wheel tether system to stop wheels flying off after an accident. This system was later adopted by IRL but is not in use in lower formula

I'm late to this thread but I'd like to echo the thoughts of everybody here, Rest In Peace Henry Surtees.