Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unknown?

Bormula One

7 hours ago, Unknown? said:

Vettel was in the hunt yes, but never tried an overtake. When Hamilton came out the pits and cruised up behind Verstappen he.. didn't try an overtake. This isn't exciting for me. What we gain in Ferrari vs Mercedes outright performance we lose in overtaking. 

GPToday

Despite Ferrari claiming victory in Australia, the true pecking order is yet to be established, as little conclusions can be made from the second stint after Hamilton revealed he didn’t push to chase Vettel, as he knew that the victory was gone, with overtaking ever so hard with these new era of Formula 1 cars.

“They [Ferrari] definitely have more pace on the ultra-soft tyre,” said Hamilton. “I think I had more pace in the second stint, [it’s] just I stopped so much earlier that I really didn’t know how long the tyres were going to last.

I (Hamilton) didn’t want to push to close the gap knowing I couldn’t really overtake, and then find I run out of tyres at the end and lose second. Once I came out behind Sebastian, it was really about damage limitation.”

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

In terms of overtaking we have to develop some means to execute those. So far we have:

1. Drive as fast as you can and try lead car to commit an error of which you need to take immediately advantage.

2. Under-cutting/Over-cutting for pit stop is a strategy No. 2

3. Technical changes to the car..?

4. Number of pit-stops / choice of tires.

5. Lead of the starting line (or at least after exiting 1st turn)

What else...?

Seems pretty spot on, see kvyat did 37 laps on the soft tyre and Lewis was complaining his were gone after a few laps being hounded by Vettel.