Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CC

The Old Hockenheim

I prefer the newer track...... The old one was just strrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiighhhhhht brake, strrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiight brake.....

:lolroll: Funniest thing I've read today. Brilliant Sato.

Why did they change the old track anyway? Was it simply because was too fast? or because it was underthreat from the new(ish) Nurbergring or the EuroSpeedway? or because the German Green Party didn't like so much perfectly good race track not being a forest?

Why did they change the old track anyway? Was it simply because was too fast? or because it was underthreat from the new(ish) Nurbergring or the EuroSpeedway? or because the German Green Party didn't like so much perfectly good race track not being a forest?

It wasn't TV or spectator friendly enough.

I prefer the newer track...... The old one was just strrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiighhhhhht brake, strrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiight brake.....

I would have thought you'd like it, it suits your namesake's driving style perfectly :P

I think they should've kept the old layout but included the new one as it seems to suit Touring Cars and other series more than it does F1. Why remove the track if you're not gonna fill in the gap?

I do prefer the old layout though, with or without those chicanes, used to love blasting straight across those ignoring the chicane in practise on F1'97 :D

I also read recently that the A1 Ring is halfway through demolition, part of a planned redevelopment which now may be delayed as some big corporation (think it might have been Toyota, but not sure) pulled it's support for the track. Another track I used to love, even though I also learned it was surprisingly new.

EDIT: Not sure how old the information was on the site I read the above on, does anyone have any more info on this?

They ought to keep the old layout and go there twice for f1, once on the old layout, once on the new one. That old layout was great, 2000 was a fantastic race.

I also read recently that the A1 Ring is halfway through demolition

WHAT?! NO!!!!!!!!

According to the site I read, I'll try going thru my history in Firefox and post the link if I can find it again.

It saddens me very much though, even if the redevelopment goes ahead.

Also Kaisersalsek, I think you have the wrong person in your avatar with that caption about making decisions?

i just googled it again (thats how i found it first time)

and this was closest I got, some slightly good news, though from what i can make out, the full demolition thing was an april fools joke, but SOME of the track and grandstands etc were being demolished as part of a track makeover... and it looks like it was RED BULL that were funding it.

http://www.wagneredv.at/508630969a0c6a102/...oriam/index.php

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=23071

Seems it is in an 'unusable' state at the moment :(

However....

http://www.racingcircuits.net/Austria/A1Ri...05Proposal.html

i like it for some reason! LOL! OK?

Yeah, but the Osterreichring was awesome, and they dug it up to make the A1 ring which isn't anywhere near as good.

They killed all the corners. Bosch, Glatz and Rindt were scarily fast.

Yeah. I didn’t witness a race at the Osterreichring, but I would say it was one hundred time better than the A1 Ring based on the layout alone.

1987 was the last race on the old track. There were too many accidents there, and safety was becoming a buzzword.

Of course I like it, cos the Monza Gorilla won there in 1975!

that both angers me and depresses me, as well makes me feel sick!

Seems im not allowed to express my opinons anymore! Why do i even bother! Cant even use the word nazi to describe someone who did somthing bad!

JR, put the Nazi comments to bed now make believe this is a second 'N' word that should not be said. Especially when speaking of Germans. I agree the folks that forced them to change the track are SOB's and BAJO39 hit the nail on the head, but....

In order to make the track FIA safe, they would have had to cut down MANY MANY trees and cause a dramatic change in the area. Local residents were up in arms and environmentalists went to town with it. I see the locals point, the area is a beautiful forest area and to loose so many trees and habitat would hurt the area. Just a shame there could not have been a compromise. Maybe with the new barriers, TV platforms on cranes and in helicopters something could be done to bring it back.

Bloody environmentalists!

EXACTLY!!!!

It is great news, lets hope he gets a new race seat in BMW! :D he deserves better than crappy williams!

I sure am! I was so nervous in that race when he won it, the penultimate race. Alex Premat, his team mate, had to finish in front of heikki, as alex was 2nd and heikki was 3rd. Then, with about 8 laps or something to go, alex started to smoke. But it didn't lead to anything :)

but yeah, nico rosberg the gp2 champion, the only gp2 race in which the winners of the 2 races have been the same. Plus nico got pole - now that's how to win a champion, unlike a certain 3rd placed man at brazil ;)