Clicky

Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Wheldon: 'never Say Never'

Recommended Posts

Wheldon: 'Never say never'

planetf1

Dan Wheldon insists he has not turned his back on Formula One for good, despite turning down a test drive in favour of staying in the United States.

The Englishman was offered a third driver role with more than one Formula One team, believed to be BMW-Sauber and Williams, but turned them down, preferring to stay in the Indy Racing League.

Wheldon on Friday revealed he feared becoming a forgotten man if he made the leap into Formula One, claiming the move was not worth the risk without a surefire race drive for 2007.

"The fact is I had an offer to do Formula One and it wasn't exactly what I would have liked, I would have preferred more of a guarantee of a race drive," he said at the Race of Champions in Paris.

"I certainly enjoy being in a race car at any moment in time. The fact I would have been a test driver for a year wasn't a particular problem but the problem was I could have been a test driver for more than a year. I enjoy racing in America too much to give it up for that."

Despite turning down his best chance yet of a move back to Europe and into motorsport's elite series, Wheldon will not rule out a switch in the future.

The 27-year-old, who has signed for Ganassi Racing next season, added: "I think I've learned in this business you never say never, you don't know what will happen.

"But the main thing for me is to get the team back running at the front again - I'd love to win the Indy 500, that motivates me a lot. It's about achieving what you want to achieve.

"It's a very selfish sport. I've set the career goals for me and I feel Chip Ganassi offered the most satisfying and enjoyable deal. I've got to attain those goals before I think about anything else."

Wheldon leaves the dominant Andretti Green squad for Ganassi's outfit, whose season of struggle this year culminated in them firing Yorkshireman Darren Manning.

Even though Andretti Green powered him to an Indy 500 and Indy Racing League title double, Wheldon insists the time is right to embrace a new challenge.

"It's difficult because you become emotionally attached to a team you have been successful with," he said.

"Certainly that was a difficult decision because I started off my career at Andretti Green as a rookie and was able to finish with nine victories, the Indy 500 and the championship.

"I just felt with that it was time to leave. Having spoken to Chip I listened to his determination to win - he is desperate to make that happen. With the fact we now have Honda engines there is a good chance we will be running up front all the time."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D Stupid carear moves by Dan, this time next year he'll be ever so sorry to have taken a ride with Chip's team and not a tester role in F1..............carear suicide...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheldon you are scared of F1!!! Admit It!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He's in the irl... he is not worthy.

Smart girl indeed.......................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he was THAT good (and this goes for bourdais and loads of others) then they would have got into F1 ages ago! Hes nothing special and needs a haircut as his hairs really quite bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheldon all along wanted a race contract for 2007 along with test drive in 2006. That did not come thruogh.

He did not want to abandon a good career and walk into an unknown.

He was right. People have priorities. Wheldon has one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If he was THAT good (and this goes for bourdais and loads of others) then they would have got into F1 ages ago! Hes nothing special and needs a haircut as his hairs really quite bad!

Bourdais could benefit from a spot of plastic surgery...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bourdais could benefit from a spot of plastic surgery...

That's a bit harsh...........................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's a bit harsh...........................

It is. Bourdais is quite good looking and aside from that, a race car driver. I'm sure he has bagged an assortment of splendid tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is. Bourdais is quite good looking and aside from that, a race car driver. I'm sure he has bagged an assortment of splendid tail.

Indeed, did you see the show on speed that showcased the drivers wives and girlfriends? not a hound in the bunch...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Indeed, did you see the show on speed that showcased the drivers wives and girlfriends? not a hound in the bunch...........

The tough life of a racing driver...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...