Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Toyota Leaves The GPMA

GPMA door left open for Toyota

Monday, 14, August, 2006, 23:30

The Grand Prix Manufacturers' Association says it respects Toyota

Toyota got p**sy with CART a few years back and left them high-and-dry. If they can't have everything their way, they leave. Same tactics, different year...I have little respect for their racing division.

Toyota got p**sy with CART a few years back and left them high-and-dry. If they can't have everything their way, they leave. Same tactics, different year...I have little respect for their racing division.

Yes, as I recall, the dispute related to CART's insistence on turbo engines. Big mistake, I think, although they do afford the Power to Pass button which is quite useful. Your thoughts?

...I have little respect for their racing division.

and their road cars are Sh#tty as hell too. as reliable as ever and about as exciting as Judi Dench's woo haa dilly...

Yes, as I recall, the dispute related to CART's insistence on turbo engines. Big mistake, I think, although they do afford the Power to Pass button which is quite useful. Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that in 2002 Toyota and Penske, having already done a (then) secret deal to switch to IRL, threatened the CART ownership that unless they adopted a 3.5L n/a IRL-like engine, they would leave. Such was the weight of Penske and Marlboro to the series that CART passed the 3.5L n/a engine rule for 2003. This p!ssed-off Honda, who wanted the turbos and caused them to pack up and leave. CART then fell back on the cheaper turbo formula offered by Cosworth.

There's quite alot evidence to suggest that Penske and Toyota were trying to force the issue of unification (under King George's flag) and used the engine formula decision of 2002 to fracture CART; leaving it with no viable engine supplier. I agree with these evidences. Toyota contributed greatly to the demise of a long-standing American racing series that Andretti, Unser, Mansell and Fittipaldi competed in. There are other transgressions by Toyota, but that will remain the top reason why I will never cheer them on in motorsports.

They are awfully boring, aren't they?

I liked my Supra, but for someone who drives a Porsche, I can understand the 'boring' comment ;)

I liked my Supra, but for someone who drives a Porsche, I can understand the 'boring' comment ;)

No, no, the Supra was a very special machine and far from boring by any standards. The problem is that it was discontinued in the late 90's and Toyota hasn't had the good sense to offer up a replacement. Let's hope they rediscover their bollocks sometime soon.

So err that leaves Honda, Mercedes and BMW to set up the long awaited independent series that is going to rival F1?

hmmm

:lol::lmavfa:

Max prevails, the collapse and brutal demise of the GPMA just shows us how ridiculous the notion of a sport run by the competitors themselves is.

Well as a Toyota Fan, I praise their decision. Other team like Honda threaten to pull out if the FIA impose the engine freeze. If you're talking about being a b!tch then I say Honda are the one that doesn't have the balls to back their loud mouth. F1 is prestigeous because of the technology that is incorporated into the car. Having the engine freeze puts it into a similar class with CART, or IRL. We all hate the engine freeze crap, so why HATE a team that's actually, trully voicing out about it?

With the CART incident, they couldn't decide whether to use an all motor engine or turbocharged. CART are the stupid one there by not being able to decide which engine to use. Why is it Toyota's fault.

I do think that Toyota's automobile line up is very boring. But they made 12.5 billion dollars last year, more then Chrysler, Ford and GM combined. However they are going debut their Lexus LFA, and Toyota Supra around mid to late 2008 with the F1 V8. I think that would spice things up a little.

So err that leaves Honda, Mercedes and BMW to set up the long awaited independent series that is going to rival F1?

hmmm

:lol::lmavfa:

Max prevails, the collapse and brutal demise of the GPMA just shows us how ridiculous the notion of a sport run by the competitors themselves is.

I think in the end, it does not matter who runs the series. The series that will ultimately previal is the one that offers up the best cars, the best drivers and the best racing on the best tracks. The three companies you mention could get the ball going in this regard...

With the CART incident, they couldn't decide whether to use an all motor engine or turbocharged. CART are the stupid one there by not being able to decide which engine to use. Why is it Toyota's fault.

Not true by a long shot. Do some research please.

I do think that Toyota's automobile line up is very boring. But they made 12.5 billion dollars last year, more then Chrysler, Ford and GM combined. However they are going debut their Lexus LFA, and Toyota Supra around mid to late 2008 with the F1 V8. I think that would spice things up a little.

The Supra will have a V6, unlike the exceptional inline 6 that the previous model had, and neither will have any engine resembling an F1-spec powerplant. I would be very surprised if they even managed a 90 degree V-angle let alone any of the other important features, like a short stroke and so on.

The Supra will have a V6, unlike the exceptional inline 6 that the previous model had, and neither will have any engine resembling an F1-spec powerplant. I would be very surprised if they even managed a 90 degree V-angle let alone any of the other important features, like a short stroke and so on.

Depressing. The inline rocked.

Depressing. The inline rocked.

Your allegations with respect to CART are quite depressing too. CART was a fantactic series...

Your allegations with respect to CART are quite depressing too. CART was a fantactic series...

If not for Kalkhoven and Forsythe it would be a dead series. It's now stabilized and actually building a broader fan-base than IRL. The only thing keeping the IRL afloat is 'name recognition'. Penske, Andretti, Rahal, etc.

ChampCar has even come out with a new Panoz chassis; very F1-like in design and a clear indication that the series is here to stay.

The Toyota Supra Will have a V8. Toyota will make two specs, a V6 and V8. The V6 will produce around 350 hp and the V8 will have over 400 hp.

Well back to Toyota pulling out of GPMA. I think it's good thing because it will force the FIA to have a more continuity rules instead of changing the rules every year.

The Toyota Supra Will have a V8. Toyota will make two specs, a V6 and V8. The V6 will produce around 350 hp and the V8 will have over 400 hp.

Well back to Toyota pulling out of GPMA. I think it's good thing because it will force the FIA to have a more continuity rules instead of changing the rules every year.

There are various reports but the one I trust is as follows:

Major print and online auto publications have hinted at a possible revival of the Supra in 2007/2008, pointing the car in different directions. The vehicle was originally thought to be the flagship or halo model in the Toyota lineup, be powered by a high output V8, and have an estimated cost anywhere between $50,000 and $70,000. This was due to the increasing number of sighting of a high performance sports car being tested throughout Europe and, more specificly, on the N

Well the LFA is rumored to be pushing 500 HP from it's V8. It's meant to be a copetitor for the Ferrari F430, Lambo Gallardo and other high end cars.

The Supra with two different specs are geared towards the market sector like the 350z, G35 and stuff like that. The V8 spec is meant to be in competition for the Vettes and probably the new dodge challenger.

I just hope that they spice their line up more

Well the LFA is rumored to be pushing 500 HP from it's V8. It's meant to be a copetitor for the Ferrari F430, Lambo Gallardo and other high end cars.

The Supra with two different specs are geared towards the market sector like the 350z, G35 and stuff like that. The V8 spec is meant to be in competition for the Vettes and probably the new dodge challenger.

I just hope that they spice their line up more

Seems to me they're just playing the horsepower (read marketing) game... Pandering to the nit-wits out there who've never done any lapping at a race-track and have little more insight into what makes a great sports car than the supposedly expert journalists in their favourite car mags provide.