Clicky

Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

F1 is expensive !!!

Recommended Posts

even as a spectator.. I WAS considering going to Melbourne this year for the 4 days until I found out the cost !!

1 hour flight return $253

Hotel accomodation $ 400 something

Trackside seating with refreshments and a pit walk at 7 am Sunday..$1380 PLUS something or other . oh location turn 13/ 14 BUT they have a large TV screen there !!!!!

So TOTAL for 3 nights accom and 4 days at the track AUD $ 3191.77 PLUS meals drinks etc etc etc etc

TV viewing sounds inviting LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:roll::roll:

If you have to fly to the town where F1 is going to be, of course it will be very expensive.

I have gone to f1 races in South Africa,Europe (various tracks) and USA. The price of the tickets vary. But the most reasonable prices was in South Africa(according to the salaries in those days).

In Europe the tickets are very expensive, but it depends on which country you are, because the salaries vary a lot.

For example in Portugal the minimum salary a month is 350 $ and the f1 tickets for 3 days was 150$ ( the cheapest - standing or sitting on the grass). How could anyone pay nearly half their salary to go and see F1 for 3 days. And this was just to get in.

In France and Spain the tickets were a bit more, but the salaries are much much higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you serious? i was tossing up between goinf to japan for 2 weeks, or the 'cheaper' option of the f1 in melb for the first time.

what exactly does the $1,380 package get you? you say refreshments. is this just sunday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey rodders,

i've been doing a bit of searching on the internet and have some useful links. but all of the packages i've found so far are for general admission for 4 days grandstand seating. where did you find these other packages?

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:)

Taku

You should look under Formula 1 tours and you should find plenty of sites that organize them. it all depends where you are and where you want to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Taku,

That package in on the Qantas web site ( qantas.com.au ) and as I understand it is for 4 day pass to the track and the entry into the qantas pavilion, which is on turn 13/14 and has a wide screen and clear viewing areas and if I am correct includes beverages and nibbles for the 4 days, how much of anything I have no idea, but also includes a pit walk at 7 am on the sunday morning. Maybe for $1380 it is value for money but for me I will watch it on digital TV at home and have my own nibbles and refreshments and a barbie LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Marina,

out of that $3197 the air fare was $253 return :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dont the packages include air fare and hotel. i thort that it whould. i deffently thort it whould include the air fare if u found it on the Qunats web site.

if u brought the FEB F1 racing mag u chould of gon into a comp 2 win all of that but also u get a ture of the williams garage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Qantas packages supply everything from flights to tickets to hotels, but I haven't checked so I don't know :) They used to, though, back in 2002 when I was considering a trip to Melbourne (it really never got past the "oh how I wish I could" stage :D )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon you would be able to do it cheaper by arranging your own flight and accommodation through a travel agent and buying your tickets to the race on-line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if ur looking 4 a cheap way just becom a engieneer or if thats out of reach a marshal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep that package for $3191 included the air fare of $253 return a very small part of it all and yes there are cheaper ways to go like stay in a backpackers accomodation, and walk to the circuit etc and get a ticket that will let you see maybe ONE corner.. Not the way I wanted to go :-)

Hey Weber mate you live in OZ why don't you type english ?? or use a spell checker :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey rodders,

thanks for the info. i'm looking at packages now. the qantas one is similar to what other agencies are offering. 4 day general admission and reserved seating. i definitely would want to at least get that much if i were to head down. but like you said, at home with a big telly, mates and a barbie again is probably the way to go. i'm very much in that "wish i could go stage :wink:

but i'd love to hear sato in the new new bar revving out at 19,000 rpm from the grandstand on the main straight. *insert honda implosion joke here :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inflation in F1 is incredable, I went to Melbourne in 1999. Flying from NZ, staying Thursday-Monday (4-nights), grandstand ticket at the Clark chicane - thats the one you see on the TV with the Shell logo on the grass - (excelent position that year especially in the practice sessions) a big screen was also clearly visable from here. The whole thing (including food) cost NZ$2000+ Merchandise, AUD$1670 or US$1000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well I guess at the end of the day, watching on TV is way better then being at the track, get to see the playbacks etc , just lacks some of the feeling of raw power but well I can sacrafice that for the cost of over 3 grand for 4 days, that to me is 1/8th of my years wages or to put it another way I would have to work for 218 hours gross pay to get that amount..

A babrbie and the telle will do fine LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last USGP that I went to 2 yrs ago it was 3 grand for 4 people-tix

food,goodies and diesel for the motor home round trip from San Diego

When it was at Long Beach in the '70's I don't think I spent more than

200$-250$ for the weekend. This year for USGP going to fly and stay

with friends and I layed out $400 for 2 rtaf and tix for the race my friend

is in charge of that but it'll be 2-300$ each for turn 1-that is the Indy turn

1 but 12? on the GP right where they come off the banking and down the straight. 8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:?:

Pumpdoc

Which stand do you think is the one with the most view of the track? I have to get the tickets, and I am not sure, we cant trust the ticket sellers, they just want to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marina, it all depends on what you want to see, i'll get back to ya thursday

and give you the lowdown on sections etc. and then you'll have to see whats aval. and at what price, I'm lucky I've made friends over the yrs

and luck into good deals now and then plus living in SO.Cal. all my life

I've had great opps. to see racing up close at little relitive cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my boss is based in melb and he said he may be able to organise something if i get down there, so i got the gp people to send us teh hospitality guide. check this:

paddock club: $3,495 p/person for 4 days gets you entry, full catering, champage brekky on sunday morning, full bar, outdoor superscreen, indoor tv (yay!) and a pit walk. it's situated on pit lane.

obvoiusly this is the ultimate and the prices go down to $935 for an outdoor viewing deck with grandstand seating on many different corners, with indoor tv the only extra.

of course none of this includes airfare or accomodation. the current exchange rate is about US$0.80

yes, f1 is expensive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone got a spare $4,000 lying around?? :lol:

Nah seriously, I spent $55 for my general admission ticket for qualifying and I'm pretty happy, although a pit walk and a paddock pass would be nice!!! Ah well, at least I get access to the V8 pits and get to meet and chat with some drivers. If its as good as last year it'll be great.

shaun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have just read that 2004 Indy will have the walk about from 8am till 12am on the 17th,18th,19th and 20th of June for the US GP . This will be free to all ticket holders. We will be able to walk the pits, stand adjacent to the open garages of all the teams. Video will be allowed.

The team officials are planning additional activities for all the fans walking about, including driver's autographs etc.

This is GREAT NEWS . It should be like this on every track, after all we love the sport, and to be able to see the cars and drivers up close, is something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"only in america" eh?

they should do that for every gp instead of just kissing the americans' asses.

nothing against americans marina, consider yourself fortunate for the priviledge, but it just smacks of double standards.

whereas most of the fans at indy have no idea who mark webber or giancharlo fisichella is, or minardi or jordan, get to have a wonder around the pits, the real diehard fans in europe and australia can't go near the garages with a 10 foot pole. :twisted:

no fair i say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Taku

Well I guess it all comes down to PROMOTION.. In all other parts of the world F1 is well known but in the USA it is not their most popular form of racing so they get the freebies that the rest of us PAY for !!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey rodders,

so are you gonna go, or are you sticking with the barbie option?

i'm going down with a couple mates on the sat and maybe catch quali if we get there in time. fly back sun nite.

we've bought general admission for sunday and one night's accomodation. flight $300, sun $90, accomodation $70.

all up about $500 if we make quali on sat.

no paddock club, but that's not so bad eh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...