• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AleHop

AleHop

The Scourge of Alonso

• Senior Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

But you can always meet a bitch that makes things worse. The Dongle Joke story at pycon.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/Lug2S0HzY40

Adria Richards, what a ####### idiot!

Edited by AleHop, 29 March 2013 - 01:52 AM.

Fray Luis de León said:

As we were saying yesterday...
Fray Luis de León wrote mystical poems which prompted Cervantes to proclaim León "a genius who astounds the world and who, in ecstasy, might rob us of our senses." León was also an active man who taught at the University of Salamanca, translated classical and biblical literature, and wrote on religious themes. Twice denounced before the Inquisition, he was imprisoned for "heresy," though he returned to the University to later hold the chairs of Moral Philosophy and Biblical Studies.

Tradition has it that he began his lecture the first day after returning from four years' imprisonment with the words "as we were saying yesterday..."

#2 Quiet One

Quiet One

The balding avenger

• Senior Members
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

The guy was more annoying than the story and ends looking more like a misogynist himself.

On the other hand, we Argentinians know how to spend your time making productive things during the no-race days

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the Universe, and it has a longer shelf life" - Frank Zappa

"Great drivers are the ones who win the races they're not supposed to" - K.Chandhok

#3 AleHop

AleHop

The Scourge of Alonso

• Senior Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

The guy is making a bit of fun of it probably because the story is so sad that you have to understand his point of view. Those things happen because some others didn't take it in a humorous way.

Fray Luis de León said:

Fray Luis de León wrote mystical poems which prompted Cervantes to proclaim León "a genius who astounds the world and who, in ecstasy, might rob us of our senses." León was also an active man who taught at the University of Salamanca, translated classical and biblical literature, and wrote on religious themes. Twice denounced before the Inquisition, he was imprisoned for "heresy," though he returned to the University to later hold the chairs of Moral Philosophy and Biblical Studies.

Tradition has it that he began his lecture the first day after returning from four years' imprisonment with the words "as we were saying yesterday..."

#4 LabradoRacer

LabradoRacer

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

It's sad that F1 is dying and has only 3 weeks left.

#5 LabradoRacer

LabradoRacer

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

RIP F1, RIP Bernie.

#6 AleHop

AleHop

The Scourge of Alonso

• Senior Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Sorry. Posted Image

Fray Luis de León said:

#7 AleHop

AleHop

The Scourge of Alonso

• Senior Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostQuiet One, on 28 March 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

On the other hand, we Argentinians know how to spend your time making productive things during the no-race days

Jajaja, I missed it. :lol:

Edited by AleHop, 29 March 2013 - 01:55 AM.

Fray Luis de León said:

#8 LabradoRacer

LabradoRacer

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostAleHop, on 28 March 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Sorry. Posted Image

:) You're sporting, Alex.

#9 Insider

Insider

Woking Bullet

• Pit Crew
  • 2,348 posts
  • Interests:F1 and loud rock music. I support West Ham United and play in three bands.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Quite why it takes three weeks to move from Malaysia to China is beyond me. Why can't we have four fly aways and then a three week break before Spain? Parts? Probably but it would make it a lot more interesting.
Listening to: Tyla Gang/Live In Stockholm, Hassan Ramzy/Rock The Tabla, Already Free/Derek Trucks band

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

#10 The Shadow

The Shadow

Established Driver

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, Motorsport, Humour (with a "u" FFS!!), Self-Preservation

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostInsider, on 29 March 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Quite why it takes three weeks to move from Malaysia to China is beyond me. Why can't we have four fly aways and then a three week break before Spain? Parts? Probably but it would make it a lot more interesting.

Easter weekend perhaps? I can't think of anything else besides that
Refer above for quotes

#11 Rainmaster

Rainmaster

F1 Ace

• Senior Members
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

I was just catching up on some reading and stumbled on the whole Adria Richards thing on Pharyngula (not sure I fully agree with all of that), and then remembered this thread (sorry, I didn't listen to the YouTube thing the guy was too annoying for my ears).  

Interesting incident there. I have to say I think I agree with most of this, although I definitely do strongly disagree with using Twitter as a medium to "name and shame" such a minor example of inappropriate humour (even if you agree that such humour is part of a wider sexist culture - though to me it just seemed like puns. But hey, I am not a woman working in a male environment). I agree that using Twitter might have been the quickest and easiest way of reporting behaviour that violated the conference rules which it apparently did (rather than say, relying on email which might not have been checked in good time to have the guys pulled aside and disciplined), but I don't think publicly identifying those people by posting their picture to your Twitter account is a particularly fair or reasonable response. After all, she had to show staff where they were sitting despite posting their faces on the internet, so that seems like a completely unnecessary and unfair step, and maybe even just a publicity gaining one. Her tweet would have been equally effective without using their faces. Nobody would have lost their jobs. The Twitter troll reaction would have been much less disgusting, I imagine. Posting the identity of somebody who is effectively having a private conversation, or thinks they are, would have been proportionate if they had been making rape jokes or something. Obviously not the case here.

I think those guys were in the wrong. But only a little bit. As much as crushing bad things like sexism (or the byproducts of it like inappropriate jokes in professional environments) might require some harsh tactics, I think this world really sucks if every questionable or childish or irrational thing we ever do, write, or say, is captured and posted on the internet for scrutiny.
"He has the speed of Casey [Stoner] but the brain of Valentino." ~ Honda's Livio Suppo describing Marc Marquez.

"Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright, it is not yet the end." ~ Paulo Coelho

Over the years the racing car has changed and the necessity for the sensitive and precise handling of the faster, lighter grand prix cars of the post war era, emphasised the need for a more subtle and controlled driving technique. Fangio, with his iron self-control and uncanny skill, met this demand with contemptuous ease, to set a style that raised the art of racing driving to the height of a new science. 20 years earlier in 1937, that great French driver Jean-Pierre Wimille, then at the height of his fame, said of Fangio "I have seen at Buenos Aires a brilliant new driver, the day he has a real racing car to drive, he will perform miracles”.

#12 AleHop

AleHop

The Scourge of Alonso

• Senior Members
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostRainmaster, on 02 April 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

I think those guys were in the wrong. But only a little bit. As much as crushing bad things like sexism (or the byproducts of it like inappropriate jokes in professional environments) might require some harsh tactics, I think this world really sucks if every questionable or childish or irrational thing we ever do, write, or say, is captured and posted on the internet for scrutiny.

I completely agree.

She lives in a personal crusade. That type of jokes are not acceptable in a working environment but the inquisitorial behaviour from that woman is even worse. That type of public trials are something of the past, I wouldn't like to live in the Middle Ages with Twitter in the hands of the inquisitors.

Fray Luis de León said:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is unofficial and is not associated in any way with the Formula One group of companies. F1, FORMULA ONE, FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and related marks are trade marks of Formula One Licensing B.V.