Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Senna Movie

OK, so it's been released in Japan and Brazil already, and set for June 3 in the UK...anyone know when, or if, it gets a world wide release? (Or where one can score a DVD copy - a real one, not one of those downloaded pirate ones that Eric likes)

Chuz.

Its a movie i a really really look forward to seeing. I will proabaly see it more than once if its at the movies. I hardly go to the movie.

I read a review on a F1 website somewhere that the film is a brilliant example of documentary film making and it obviously shows Senna in the best possible light, getting across to the uninitiated the genius of the man and his aura and his charisma. It also portrays Prost rather unfairly in the eyes of the reviewer and me (although I have yet to see the movie myself). Apparently it has Prost as a manipulator and a schemer alongside Jean-Maire Balestre. Some may argue that that is an accurate representation of Prost, I would not be one of them. Sure Prost had a great understanding of the political movementst in F1 and he successfully worked that element but Prost was also a very fast, very skillful driver and heis the only driver on the grid that gained the respect of Senna for his speed, intelligence, guile and racecraft. Prost was the only driver on the grid that Senna knew could out perform him on the track and that is the main reason why he would not relent at anytime to adding to the psychological pressure by intimidating Prost on the racetrack. All the other drivers such as Berger, Mansell, Piquet, Boutsen, Alesi, Patrese were playing very much second fiddle.

The film appartently omits two vital facts in the story of Senna and Prost. First is the intimidatory move Senna pulled on Prost during the Portugese GP in 1988 when he nearly pushed him into the pit wall as Prost overtook him for the lead in that race. I don't see how the film can omit that bit of footage because it is spectacular to watch but I think they downplay the reaction of Prost and others after that race who where furious with Senna for his extremely dangerous defensive move in that instance. That was probably the beginning of the crack in the relationship between the two drivers.

The 2nd fact it omits is the agreement the Senna and Prost reached regarding no overtaking until after the first corner at Imola 1989. This was for the restart of the race after Berger had crashed at Tamburello and his car went up in flames. The race restarted with Senna on pole. Prost got the jump on him at the start, Senna then passed Prost on the run down from Tamburello to Tosa. Senna said that Tamburello was the first corner, Prost said that Tosa is the first corner. This is what really ended their relationship.

It still should be a good film and I can't wait.

Its out in Australia on 11th of August. There a good section of the making of the movie in the F1 racing mag june.

I went to see it in the cinema twice, well worth it even though I had to travel a long way as our local cinemas didn't show it.

Great documentary and quite moving. I was thinking a lot about Senna for days afterwards.

It is a little hard on Prost but not quite as bad as I was expecting based on what I read beforehand. They really they should have shown the Estoril incident to put some balance on the feud. I think the director even admitted this himself. Balestre is a pure pantomime villain.

looking forward to the DVD release to watch it again.

Oh, I see what you did there.

If only someone could post a link to it...

They better post a link fast before the internet gets troughed then.

Not fair. Prost survived, Senna died. Senna is the best and has documentary , Prost is ...... ......well, just Prost. Has no documentary of his own, but he is mentioned in Senna's documentary as his team-mate. FFS

Not fair. Prost survived, Senna died. Senna is the best and has documentary , Prost is ...... ......well, just Prost. Has no documentary of his own, but he is mentioned in Senna's documentary as his team-mate. FFS

If dying is a pre-requisite for having your own documentary, I bet Prost is glad he doesn't have one.

If dying is a pre-requisite for having your own documentary, I bet Prost is glad he doesn't have one.

no. dying means you will have a documentary for sure. if you stay alive you need to win 8 WDC's for documentary.