Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hollywood2003

Newey To Join Williams

"Adrian Newey, the most sought-after design brain in the business, will likely leave McLaren and rejoin Frank Williams' Formula One squad in July, we can reveal.

Neither team would comment on the rumour, but last year the Brit declined to confirm whether he'd still be under Ron Dennis' Woking-based wing beyond a set-to-expire contract.

'You do find yourself looking for a new stimulus,' he admitted in 2004, 'or worrying about where the next (design) idea is going to come from.'

Newey worked for Williams from 1990 to 1996 and, despite speculation of needing a break, his return to Grove could convince 30 per cent co-owner and former technical director Patrick Head, 58, to sell the stake and retire."

After the shocker that was the McLaren last year, is this a good thing????

Sincerely last year McLaren was not his fault I think,because after the Jaguar affair back in 2001 Newey covered a less important role in the design of the cars,wich was taken over by Mike Coughlan.I think that Newey has a magic touch however.it could be good for them..if you look they never had a ultracompetitive car since Adrian left the team...

I know I've already said it, but Newey is not the genius he used to be, in my opinion anyway. You could say a brilliant designer doesn't just lose that talent, but look at all the Mclarens since 2000, by no means the best car of the field! His last brilliant car was the 1999 mclaren

I know I've already said it, but Newey is not the genius he used to be, in my opinion anyway. You could say a brilliant designer doesn't just lose that talent, but look at all the Mclarens since 2000, by no means the best car of the field! His last brilliant car was the 1999 mclaren

Don

You could say a brilliant designer doesn't just lose that talent, but look at all the Mclarens since 2000, by no means the best car of the field! His last brilliant car was the 1999 mclaren

As I've said before he has covered a less important role since the Jaguar affair,and it was back in 2001.....the 2000 McLaren was a title contender car,McLaren started sliding with the 2001 car and DC came home with a 2nd in the standings however..

Newey wasn't in charge of the MP4-18/19 shambles. It was Newey who led the Williams team in its dominance and it's not as if he's lost his brainpower in terms of designing fast F1 cars, just look at the 19B which was mostly his doing, it was quick and reliable and this years car could be the one to end Ferrari domination. It could, but I don't think it will.