Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

Cosworth back

I sure would love to see Cosworth back on the grid with a very competitive engine, which we all know they can build, given enough money. Just the recovery system that would pose a bit of a problem I suspect, but as for power out of the ICE I am sure they would surpass Merc.

Isn't that the only issue Honda is also facing? Struggling either hybrid side of things? Doesn't proove anything, we all saw the type of engines Honda can build in the NA formula and look at them now, se as cosworth, last time they were in, they had a torrid time with reliability, just ask mark webber.

11 hours ago, rodders47 said:

I sure would love to see Cosworth back on the grid with a very competitive engine, which we all know they can build, given enough money. Just the recovery system that would pose a bit of a problem I suspect, but as for power out of the ICE I am sure they would surpass Merc.

Cosworth surpassing Merc?

Easier said than done. Ferrari and RB has been trying to match let alone surpass Merc for 4 years now and suddenly Cosworth will ? 

YES Cosworth WILL be the Solution to surpass the Mercedes dominance
They ARE ready to fly

McLaren-Honda NEED what Cosworth HAVE - Time is running out
Honda WILL lose-face in Japan WITHOUT Cosworth
Can`t they see that!!!

www.2say2u.co.uk
Bringing people together

radical-one

Ferrari and RB has been trying to match let alone surpass Merc for 4 years now and suddenly Cosworth will ?
You are obviously confused, with little understanding
There is a difference between PU and race team
Red bull are a race team - they do not construct a PU
So how you can use them as a comparrison is baffeling
Cosworth HAVE developed THEIR PU with similar research to Mercedes
They just don`t have a team or the finances to put it on track.
Honda SHOULD use their ICE

www.2say2u.co.uk
Bringing people together

What makes you so certain that cosworth are going to be better than Honda? Last Time they were in f1 I'm a decent team was 2006 with Williams where mark webber had dnf's in 10 out of the 17 races mainly due to poor reliability from cosworth. If anything, Honda has a way more proven success rate than cosworth and has titles and wins to prove it.

Cosworth do power one hell of a lot of US race cars

8 hours ago, Emmcee said:

What makes you so certain that cosworth are going to be better than Honda? Last Time they were in f1 I'm a decent team was 2006 with Williams where mark webber had dnf's in 10 out of the 17 races mainly due to poor reliability from cosworth. If anything, Honda has a way more proven success rate than cosworth and has titles and wins to prove it.

ditto 

14 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

radical-one

Ferrari and RB has been trying to match let alone surpass Merc for 4 years now and suddenly Cosworth will ?
You are obviously confused, with little understanding
There is a difference between PU and race team
Red bull are a race team - they do not construct a PU
So how you can use them as a comparrison is baffeling
Cosworth HAVE developed THEIR PU with similar research to Mercedes
They just don`t have a team or the finances to put it on track.
Honda SHOULD use their ICE

nope. YOU are confused.

Look at the FACTS, I CLEARLY am NOT confused

Red Bull Racing - the TEAM  powered by Renault PU

www.2say2u.co.uk
Bringing people together

You have two teams, a "works team" like Ferrari,Mercedes, Renault who build there own power units along with the rest of the car. Then you have customer teams like redbull,Williams etc etc, who are customers who purchase the engines of the works teams, that's the point I think he is trying to make.

Just to,  spice things-up (and make Honda get their act together).
WHY don`t, Suzuki provide an engine for a team 
Has somebody like Sauber, Force-India ...
Explored the option?

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:52 AM, rodders47 said:

Cosworth do power one hell of a lot of US race cars

That IS because Cosworth HAVE researched & developed LIKE Mercedes
FOR the new formula 1
IF McLaren BUY what IS left of Cosworth
give the ideas/solution to Honda
Honda WILL finally perform in F1!!

Are you 100% certain on this? Because Honda have been working on the engine for quite a while to. Plus they won a race and were extremely competitive as an engine supply just ten years ago so I can't see this "edge".

4 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Just to,  spice things-up (and make Honda get their act together).
WHY don`t, Suzuki provide an engine for a team 
Has somebody like Sauber, Force-India ...
Explored the option?

Suzuki? F1 - 2017 /18? 

So we kindda just throw in any company there whether they like it or not huh ? 

:bangin: 

Zak Brown is a director of Cosworth. They had a 1.5L variant of their 2.5L CA Series engine [complete with KERS] ready to rock as the hybrid era dawned. They have continued a limited R&D programme for niche market powertrains since that time.  I would say Honda are further along than Cosi but they are not the powertrain partner McLaren need. Cosi are nimble, flexible with a ton of experience in F1. Honda seem to be a day late on everything and don't possess the expertise required at this level of the sport. As I said three years ago - the partnership was doomed at the concept stage. Why the McLaren Automotive division aren't involved in this is beyond me.

Well, maybe so, but I would like to have confirmation first that Honda is not going to make it. Progression through races could be a good yardstick, which would allow us by summer break to ponder future of this union, with Cosworth or some other engine supplier. Money Honda is pouring in left and right seems pretty good, and one wonders what would happened with them without Honda agreeing to this marriage. McLaren without sponsor (and cash), Cosworth without funds... I am struggling to envision huge success based on that scenario.

There is an emotional vision, and then there is a pragmatic vision. I still believe that Honda will make it, however should rupture occur, I would not be surprised to learn that one of the current boys on the grid being forced to give them PU. For Cosworth to jump in and be competitive in 2018, that is difficult to visualize. Moreover, where is the cash cow to replace Honda? 

If Honda go, as I am sure they will it will cost $1m plus in severance. Maybe more. That will help with engines. Ford have a stake in the Cosworth niche engine program and that will provide further support. Otherwise, it's back to Germany.

Wonder if Ferrari would supply them? No different than if Mercedes did, then you would have a mclaren Ferrari lol.